Opinions wanted from fellow type 1's

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
20190605_131305.jpg
Right now - this! I injected for the 'per 1/2 pack' at lunch and spent the afternoon eating haribos.

Waitrose savoury couscous cannot do their maths properly!

Reactions: Capt-Slog

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
View attachment 33419 Right now - this! I injected for the 'per 1/2 pack' at lunch and spent the afternoon eating haribos.

Waitrose savoury couscous cannot do their maths properly!
You got that right.
The pack says it's 110g.
My simple brain and trusty calculator says that 1/2 a pack should only be 14.4g of carbs.

You should sue them!

But hey! If you're looking for a silver lining, then any excuse to take your "HYPO Medicine" is welcome. My preferred 'medicine', when things are REALLY "going South" is Sherbet DipDabs.
Mmmmmm Sherbet.....

Reactions: Circuspony

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You got that right.
The pack says it's 110g.
My simple brain and trusty calculator says that 1/2 a pack should only be 14.4g of carbs.

You should sue them!

But hey! If you're looking for a silver lining, then any excuse to take your "HYPO Medicine" is welcome. My preferred 'medicine', when things are REALLY "going South" is Sherbet DipDabs.
Mmmmmm Sherbet.....
I did write an email rant! Wouldn't normally mind but I needed to do some gardening which causes a hypo at the best of times.

bidder1603

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
none- fiction and tuna
For me it’s how unpredictable I find I can be. One second I’m fine, 1 hour later I’m high. Yesterday 2 units worked for a banana, today 2 units made me low! Etc etc. This might just be me but this is what stops me from perfect control. I also find the carb counting can be a nightmare when you have rubbish food packaging or food with lots of fat which messes up the insulin resistance.

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, the unpredictability is very tricky - especially when you involve exercise; sometimes after exercise I need only 50% of my normal dose - at other times, with just the same exercise, it's double the dose. Most irritating!

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes, the unpredictability is very tricky - especially when you involve exercise; sometimes after exercise I need only 50% of my normal dose - at other times, with just the same exercise, it's double the dose. Most irritating!

I concur with you.

Type 1 diabetes ; it's like our weather , predictably unpredictable and expect the unexpected

D

Deleted Account

this is what stops me from perfect control.
I never aim for "perfect control" as very few people experience this, including people without diabetes.
I read that the advice for health care professionals is to use the term "diabetes management" not "control".
I think of it as a manager managing their employees - they have personalities and things which are outside the control of the manager.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Do you know what
I have diabetes so I just accept it

If they told me I had cancer I’d be freaking out, whereas when they told me I was diabetic and had pancreas divisum then there’s not a lot you can do about it

I’m just happy to be living life the best way I can

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
The deprivation of that sugary goodness. Also porl69 - the never ending, never getting a break. HOWEVER, I wouldn’t swap it.
Welcome to my strange store, I will cure your Diabetes, you are now 100% cured, however you must take away another ailment
A) Deaf and Dumb
B) Quadraplegia
C) Multiple Limb amputation
D) Blindness
E) Serious Mental health issues
F) Extreme Pain
G) Severe Autism
H) Ichthyosis vulgaris. (Excessive skin shedding)
I) Your T1 Diabetes back
We love to complain about it, but really we have it pretty good in comparison and yes I really do admire how the people with the other ailments cope.

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 for 60+ years - Still here so must have been doing something right!

My complaint is that it never takes a break - always have to think what to eat etc. . .
I would love a holiday from the continuous necessary awareness.

Ebs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Everything really. I do find it really hard always having the pump attached to me; never alone, a constant reminder ☹️

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The deprivation of that sugary goodness. Also porl69 - the never ending, never getting a break. HOWEVER, I wouldn’t swap it.
Welcome to my strange store, I will cure your Diabetes, you are now 100% cured, however you must take away another ailment
A) Deaf and Dumb
B) Quadraplegia
C) Multiple Limb amputation
D) Blindness
E) Serious Mental health issues
F) Extreme Pain
G) Severe Autism
H) Ichthyosis vulgaris. (Excessive skin shedding)
I) Your T1 Diabetes back
We love to complain about it, but really we have it pretty good in comparison and yes I really do admire how the people with the other ailments cope.
Along similar lines. I’m quite proud and happy to be T1. It’s made me the person I am today and I know full well that without it I probably wouldn’t be anywhere near as healthy, fit, focused and happy with my life.

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having to get up 30 minutes earlier in the morning to check my blood to ensure it is high enough to drive to work.

That yearly trip to the doctor's to get the 'I've never seen anyone even close to results as good as yours before'.

Other than that, no difference to pre-diabetes.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Single thing I hate most about T1 - the hypos.... And I agree a cgm is a wonderful thing but I became allergic to the libre - has put me off cgms and also insulin pumps, as I fear having a needle permanently attached.

I should probably try the dexcom, though.

Blood testing, OK, injections OK, carb counting, ok(ish), balance (yes, that's an almighty pain specially if you exercise), but

the hypos, I hate the hypos
So true. It’s more like a constant battle to avoid hypos rather than bringing your sugar down!

D

Deleted Account

There are some interesting and varied replies.
@bellabella you posed the question. What is your answer? What is your one thing that you found most challenging for your diabetes management?

Book_woorm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found 'Carbs and Cals' useful especially when traveling and not making my own food but beware. Like the person who found the wrong maths on a nutrition label there appear to be different versions of 'carbs and cals' depending on where you are in the world.

lmsk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For me it's other people assuming that if you struggle with high/low bloods it's just because you aren't trying hard enough. Sometimes it's just so unpredictable and there is so much room for error and after 29 years it becomes an almost automatic response so if I don't remember if I did a jab it's not because I'm not taking it seriously....also when folk get overly concerned like yeah I've managed to keep myself alive 41 years I got this don't keep asking me if I'm ok ha!

Reactions: Antje77

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The most challenging thing for me is how diabetes has a complete personality change every so often. Things work for a couple of weeks and then suddenly everything breaks down and I need to find new ISFs/ratios and change my basal timing and relearn how exercise affects me now.

This is probably due to the hormonal swings that my epilepsy causes. It's impossible.

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
Here's my most recent issue: I also have rheumatoid arthritis and had to make a choice today, keep having pain from a bad flare up or take steroids, which make me insulin resistant. I also hate my dexcom waking me up all night with false low readings.