Stopping Smoking

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
So, I plan to stop smoking soon. I've been to the pharmacy and picked up my nicotene replacement.

I just wondered; what benefits (in terms of diabetes) am I likely to see? Will it directly affect things (such as my BG levels) or are most of the benefits secondary (such as being more active)?

I'm a bit worried about how it affects my diet, but I know it doesn't have to. Most people who have stopped or tried to stop smoking at one point in time knows that the urge to compensate your missing cigarette with food is quite high. I've tried to stop in the past (and managed for up to a year), so I know that I can do it. I've never tried while also trying to watch what I eat and lost weight at the same time.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
When I stopped I found the main thing was to find something to do with my hands at the times when I would otherwise have smoked. Some people eat - I took up knitting. You could always find a pattern for a fisherman's gansey, as we call them in Yorkshire! The East Coast fishermen used to knit their own, so not a 'girlie' thing! :lol: Wood carving? Airfix kits? What else do blokes do? :wink:

Viv :)

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
lol... there's only so many times per day you can do that ;)

Wood carving I mean... you are bound to run out of places to put your boats that you made before long.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
When I gave up smoking I managed not to eat more. I chewed Nicorette which kept my mouth busy. But the mere fact of not having the nicotine - a stimulant - in your body makes you put on weight. The important thing is to give up smoking - regardless of the weight gain, then, when you can easily manage not smoking then start worrying about your weight again. One thing at a time to worry about. Smoking is doubly dangerous when you have diabetes. And the main benefit is that you will have less horrible complications - I don't need to draw you a picture...Your circulation will improve. And I agree that you have to keep your hands busy. Also try to avoid situations where you always used to smoke - having a drink for example as alcohol makes you want to smoke. Just my opinion. And keep trying even if you don't succeed at first - I only managed on the third attempt. Haven't smoked for years now. Good luck :)

Sue Morton

I am preparing myself/getting ready to pack in smoking and one of the big things is having a ciggy after a meal so I am not having a ciggy after a meal and leave it for some time. I am trying not to have a ciggy when I normally do the main one is when I get up and once I have over come that one I think I might be better or stand a better chance of giving up. I read somewhere that if you light up first ting in the morning you will find it the hardest to give up.

I have given up a few times and gone back and I know how hard it is and all the time that I have given up I have always wanted a ciggy it has never left me even when I packed up for 7 years. I chewed the chewing gum and didn't eat things as my mouth was busy going ten to the dozen chewing the gum but still put on weight so you might like me put weight on but hopefully on this low carb we will loose it again. All the best and goodluck and pick the right time as this does help as you probably know.

Sue :)

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
I used a 'electric cig' had tried many times before and failed, this worked brill for me, as you can use it like a proper cig, it uses vapour so you get the smoke thing, you can also use diminishing amounts of nicotine, i am now just chewing te nico gum, over a year now.

however i blame stopping smoking for unsettling my DB, might just be coincidental

good luck

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
dib said:
Well done, keep it up, I shall be doing the same in the next week or two. :(
How did you get on dib?

For anyone that's interested, I'm still off of them :)

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Fencer, as an ex-smoker I do wish you the best of luck giving up, it is sooo not easy. If you don't mind a suggestion from me I purchased an electronic cigarette which contains differing levels of nicotine and are totally harmless and do actually work to keep you off the ciggies. If you want anymore info please PM me, best wishes, Deb xx

Leeds Lass

I stopped in March and have an electronic cigarette, they are brilliant! Definately recommend if anyone is trying to stop.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Fencer, well done! That's 6 months :shock: You've cracked it! :D

11 years in October for me. And there are still times (very rarely) when I could kill for one :oops: But I find, now, that I can't stand the smell.

Kep up the good work!

Viv 8)

louiseb

well done Fencer
I have been of the ciggies for about 2 months now.
I have been using nicorette inhalator they have been great and really work, although I still do get some very strong cravings its getting easier.

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Thanks Viv.

Nice one louise, keep it up. You will still get cravings for a while yet, but they get easier and easier to dismiss.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done all those who have managed to give up the weed - I did for a while but have to confess I started again :roll:

I think it is the worst addiction in the world to give up and no matter how long you have been an ex smoker you are only one puff away from starting again. - my hubby has given up twice - once for 3 years and once for 4 years - he is now smoking again after a stressful event in our lives - it never goes away totally I don't think so I admire anyone who does it - well done all! :D

frenchkittie

Well done Fencer!

After several unsuccessful attempts, I finally "stopped" smoking just before Christmas. Or at least, I stopped buying them. I still have the odd cigarette at big events, perhaps one every two months or so, if there is a party or big social do (and someone I can scrounge off) :oops:

I've never seen or (until today) heard of electric cigarettes, but they sound like they could be just the jobbie for the odd occasion when I fancy a puff. I don't crave nicotine at all, but I do like hanging around and chatting with other smokers outside a bar or party, and the comraderie of smoking. Can these electric cigarettes be used without any nicotine at all?

I shall have to go off and have a bit of a google, what's the betting that they're not available in France? :roll:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Kittie,
They are available here, I saw some in a box on the counter in the Newsagents/Tabac the other day. I didn't know what they were so I picked one up. I think it was about 13E.