Type 1 Autonomic Neuropathy at 20 yrs old?????

hodor1234

I am
Male, Type 1, Age 20, diagnosed at 16, Smoker
Have had mediocre success controlling sugar levels, was often ( not always) high 14-20, but often in good range to.
My h1abc has always been in the 50-60 range, doctor or nurses never had any issue with my blood results, which surprised me as i thought my levels were worse than the doctor had said.

The past year i have been experiencing night time fever and drenching sweats. (room temperature, blood sugars etc all fine during these times)
I also have a very active bladder, sometimes urinating twice an hour after very little or no drinking. Get up once or twice during the night and often wet the bed after drinking alcohol.( although i remember this occuring once or twice long before i was diagnosed)
I often drink lots of fluid especially diet coke (sometimes 2litres per day) but these past few weeks the frequent urination has caught my attention ive been drinking very little.

These are both symptoms of autonomic neuropathy. I am petrified i have it. I dont have any peripheral neuropathy symptoms.
Has anyone had a similar experience, please help i cant find any helpful information anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @hodor1234,
Have you been to see a doctor?
Your symptoms could have many causes and if you were to read up on autonomic neuropathy e.g. via mayoclinic.org you would see that your symptoms are not really constistent with that condition.
Please obtain medical advice as soon as you can to help diagnose and solve your troubles and avoid them getting worse.
You also sound like your diabetes management needs an overhaul.
Best Wishes

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum @hodor1234

Agree you sound a little young to be suffering, so you need to see your GP and get these symptoms checked out. However have you received any guidance in managing your levels ? Getting your levels down to a more healthy range is really important, as is kicking the fags, time for an over haul so this could be a good wake up call for you. Tell us more about your day to day care and what insulins are you on ?

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Night sweats should be checked with your doctor as they can sometimes be a sign of something more serious, though it's probably blood glucose issues in your case.