New to prediabetic

Ukdub82

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all

So after so blood tests for other things I've had a call from the Dr to say I'm also prediabetic.

Only info I've had is cut out carbs, so I spent some time last night looking at low carb diets on here and diet Dr.

Question is what do you guys eat when at work?

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Cheese chunks cold meats tinned fish salad
You can get low carb bread as well
Pudding berries and nuts

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a thread going on that kind of topic.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/bacon-and-eggs-v-porridge.165014/page-2#post-2068174

In my work canteen they do a cooked breakfast option at lunchtime. So I have a full English, or omelette or similar each day. No carbs. If I take a packed lunch it might comprise baby bell cheeses, a couple of apples, some walnuts and a portion of raspberries. Then with either Diet Coke or cordial using sweetner.

Footnote : The apples are a convenient addition to a packed lunch but all in all my carb intake over the course of the day are still less than 100 to 130 grams. This approach dropped me out of the Prediabetes range and into normal blood sugar levels.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all

So after so blood tests for other things I've had a call from the Dr to say I'm also prediabetic.

Only info I've had is cut out carbs, so I spent some time last night looking at low carb diets on here and diet Dr.

Question is what do you guys eat when at work?

Hello and welcome,

Your doctor was right to tell you to cut carbs, and you do right to use this forum and Diet Doctor. Keep on researching, but do buy yourself a blood glucose meter otherwise you won't know if your new food choices are helping or not and you will be working blind waiting for your next review test. If you decide to buy one - and I strongly urge you to, then we can help you use it to your best advantage.

You can take a packed low carb lunch to work. Cold meats are worthwhile, or you could nip to a supermarket and get some cooked chicken thighs or similar. Anything really that is low in carbs. Personally I would steer away from fruit apart from a few strawberries or raspberries that can be eaten with cream or a plain full fat yogurt.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some really low carb breads which could be used for sandwiches - they are about 4 gm of carbs per slice, but you need to look for them.