LANCETS CHANGING / USAGE

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you all know that in the Netherlands it isn't advised to wash hands before testing, unless having handled foodstuffs. When I was diagnosed the practice nurse told me to wipe away the first drop and simply use the second. Which is what I do, only wash and retest when I get an unexpected result.
I asked a friend who studies to be a nurse and she was taught the same in school.

Told my practice nurse I often go months before changing lancets and she told me "it isn't advised, but hey, it's your fingers, do what you want!".

M

Member496333

Did you all know that in the Netherlands it isn't advised to wash hands before testing, unless having handled foodstuffs. When I was diagnosed the practice nurse told me to wipe away the first drop and simply use the second. Which is what I do, only wash and retest when I get an unexpected result.
I asked a friend who studies to be a nurse and she was taught the same in school.

Told my practice nurse I often go months before changing lancets and she told me "it isn't advised, but hey, it's your fingers, do what you want!".

I tend to “wash” my hands under plain running water and dry with paper towel. I’ve always thought that soap residue is as likely to skew a measurement than anything else. Then again I don’t like soap anyway.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I change mine when it starts to hurt and my bad language gets louder. I would change it more often if it wasn't so fiddly and if my sharps bin was easier to open. Usually I do about 5-6 tests then change it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really? I’m surprised!

How many are you give compared to how many times you’re recommended to test?
Type 2s don’t get prescribed any unless on drugs likely to induce hypos!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? I’m surprised!

Zero and zero..UK Docs don't think that testing is good for T2's unless on hypo causing meds.
They are wrong and stupid but many of us self fund to get the benefits.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You get excommunicated by the NHS if you admit to testing

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? I’m surprised!

Many T2s are told NOT to test, so wouldn't get any strips or lancets at all on prescription. I'm lucky in that my GP is very supportive of me testing - however he is not permitted by our practice manager to prescribe any test strips (and presumably lancets) to me as a ex-medication/diet controlled T2. It's a matter of budget, shortsighted though it may be.:banghead:

Robbity