Charity urges government not to compromise restaurant food labelling

DCUK NewsBot

A major diabetes organisation is urging the government not to "water down" plans to introduce food labelling in restaurants. In a bid to tackle rising obesity and type 2 diabetes rates the Department of Health suggested last year that calorie content in all meals should be made available in all public eateries. The plans were criticised by the Treasury for potentially harming smaller businesses, but charity Diabetes UK insists the calorie labelling plan should not be compromised, and is concerned not enough restaurants will have to adhere to these targets. Diabetes UK says the proposals indicate smaller businesses that employ less than 250 staff would be exempt from the legislation, which meant only 520 out of a total of 168,040 businesses would be forced to carry out the proposal. "Exempting 99.7% of businesses from its calorie labelling legislation would be a cop out from our government," said Helen Dickens, Diabetes UK’s assistant director of policy and campaigns. "The UK is gripped by an obesity crisis. Urgent action is needed to address it, but if the government water down their original commitments, then the legislation will have significantly less impact. The Government must publish their calorie labelling plans urgently, and provide assurances that medium sized businesses are included in their plans – along with a clear timeline for implementation in these businesses." According to the charity, if the government proceeds with its current plan, only 0.3% of businesses would be enforced to make calorie information compulsory. Diabetes UK has carried out its own research and said that 76% of adults in the UK want more data about the food they eat in restaurants. The government has also asked the public about its plans, but has not yet released the findings of the consultation that ended in December. Caroline Cerny from the Obesity Health Alliance, a coalition of more than 40 health charities, medical royal colleges and campaign groups, said: "We know that calorie labelling on menus can help people pick the healthier options. "If the government is serious about reducing childhood obesity, they must ensure that calorie labelling applies to restaurants, cafes and takeaways of all sizes so people have information about the food they eat, wherever they choose to eat."

Continue reading...

M

Member496333

Yeah because so far calorie counting has proven effective at preventing obesity and diabetes :shifty:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Calorie labelling is not helpful. Carb counts would be far better, or indeed the promotion of simple, real, unprocessed food.

M

Member496333

Calorie labelling is not helpful. Carb counts would be far better, or indeed the promotion of simple, real, unprocessed food.

Yep. And also - my own personal concern that tends to discourage me from eating out anywhere - the nasty pro inflammatory carcinogenic machine lubricants that everything is bathed and/or cooked in.

Calories :wacky:

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be fair to a lot of chain restaurants (or atleast the ones I’ve eaten at) you can just quickly type into google and get all the nutritional information for the foods on their menu, it’s just that a lot of people wouldn’t bother or know.
Would be handy to be able have it easily available from the restaurant menu though and also maybe good for restaurants to really understand their own meals and food and use that to their advantage?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of restaurants (chains) I’ve eaten at have excellent nutritional info, including carb counts on their websites. I regularly chose what I’m going to eat at a planned meal out from the comfort of my sofa! Jamie’s Italian was the most user friendly, shame it’s gone bust :(

D

Deleted member 308541

You will have buckleys at the bowls club bistro getting info like that. Poor plurry Jonny cannot spell real proper good.

60990224_1049417951910832_4572607717318852608_o.jpg

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Yeah.
Food labelling in line with supermarket food would be good.
Carbohydrates, of which sugars, etc.

This could slow down artistic cooking from freshly gathered local ingredients because you probably wouldn't have exact details of all the produce.

However it might make chefs think twice before spooning in extra sugar.

Reactions: HSSS

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
You will have buckleys at the bowls club getting info like that. Poor plurry Jonny cannot spell real proper good.

60990224_1049417951910832_4572607717318852608_o.jpg

Carmel Tart eh?

Additional services menu?

Can't be high class at that price. :woot:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not all of us use chain restaurants, especially those of us not living in or close to larger cities. We tend to use country pubs, not part of big chains. They do have their menus on line, but only have symbols for gluten free, vegetarian and sometimes vegan. The rest is up to us to choose wisely and ask for swaps.

Reactions: HSSS