Is It Time to Treat Sugar Like Smoking?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't see sugar as the main bad guy at all. I cut it out for years....and got ever fatter, those pesky wholemeal carbs and sweeteners that replaced sugar in my diet were even worse for me. Yes it's bad for T2s, but many T1s cope with a little of it, and there's very many people out there who aren't diabetic and who aren't obese. Why shouldn't they have sugar if they want it? It's way over the top to talk of banning it. I wouldn't mind living in a nanny state if only nanny always knew best....but she doesn't. It's up to the individual to decide on their own diet.
As for smoking, that affects others not just the smoker. It's a totally different scenario and wrong to compare the 2 things. And for me, with asthma, walking past someone vaping is worse than walking past a smoker.

M

Member496333

I don't see sugar as the main bad guy at all. I cut it out for years....and got ever fatter, those pesky wholemeal carbs and sweeteners that replaced sugar in my diet were even worse for me. Yes it's bad for T2s, but many T1s cope with a little of it, and there's very many people out there who aren't diabetic and who aren't obese. Why shouldn't they have sugar if they want it? It's way over the top to talk of banning it. I wouldn't mind living in a nanny state if only nanny always knew best....but she doesn't. It's up to the individual to decide on their own diet.
As for smoking, that affects others not just the smoker. It's a totally different scenario and wrong to compare the 2 things. And for me, with asthma, walking past someone vaping is worse than walking past a smoker.

I agree on the whole, except to add that the most sinister side of sucrose goes largely unnoticed - the ability of its 50% fructose component to readily contribute to fatty liver and thereby insulin resistance. Other carbs contribute to an increased glucose burden equally or even more so, but none have quite the same effect on the liver.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree on the whole, except to add that the most sinister side of sucrose goes largely unnoticed - the ability of its 50% fructose component to readily contribute to fatty liver and thereby insulin resistance. Other carbs contribute to an increased glucose burden equally or even more so, but none have quite the same effect on the liver.
Exactly! And no-one would dream of banning the main source of fructose..fruit. I ate fruit as a substitute for other desserts because I thought it was healthier. I had sugar free jelly which also helped with piling on the insulin resistance. Diet is way too complicated to demonise one part of it without looking at what people will use to substitute it.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have to agree with @zand on the sugar issue. The thought of eating it is now abhorrent to me! But even if you do without as I do, everyone is susceptible to those hidden sugars in everyday foods. Regardless of which sugar it is, the likelihood that there is a lot more out there than people realise. The coatings, dressings, sauces or the many other additives that comes with industrial modern diet.
Too much wheat in all its disguises is just as worse as sugar to a lot of people.
Too much glucose is bad. In what ever refreshing drink you choose, with this, too much caffeinated beverages are really bad!
Need I go on?
For me, if anything, we should ban spuds!
It is one of the most produced starchy vegetable grown and its causing an epidemic just as much as sugar, wheat, rice and beer in metabolic conditions!

Of course this is tongue in cheek, but it just highlights how education and research into our own personal diet can and will achieve better health.
Six years ago, I would have laughed at advice such as not eating potatoes, they were in nearly every meal I ate. I had already stopped eating sugar, bread, cakes etc. But what would I do without spuds, salad with chips is so healthy, isn't it?
Not for me!
For me, spuds are far worse than sugar!
There's not much I can tolerate, but fruit in small doses is something I enjoy, and does not bother my blood levels.

I'm starting a movement!

Mash the mash!
Not the pot!
Cash out the chips!

Anyone with me?
:):rolleyes::woot:

Reactions: Daphne917 and zand

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the sugar content of many dry good was pushed up to the maximum often by adding something which will counter the sweetness. Lemon was often added to sponge cake along with more sugar - thick layers of icing, too.
I don’t doubt it but why? If there’s so much sugar they have to cancel it out why have it? What’s the benefit? to whom?

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar is fine though, in moderation.

We need better education in school about diet and food. When I found out I was type 1, and had to really consciously think about what I ate to carb count, I realised how little I knew about, not just sugar, but food in general. I even did Food Technology GCSE, and we were all just encouraged to bake cakes and pizza! (I made 4 every week as practice!)

There is way too much sugar in most shop bought meals and cereals etc, so companies should really be made to atleast cut down on extra sugars, but. Then we all choose what we eat so.

And I’d like to add, I’ve not changed a single part of my diet since being type 1; I still eat chocolate, desserts, anything I want and I’ve never been and felt healthier!

Reactions: Daphne917

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We need better education in school about diet and food.
The problems lies in what education, by whom, from what point of view?

Eatwell would be the likely answer right now which certainly for type 2 won’t be helpful and debatable the accuracy of some of the claims behind it (eg cholesterol, low fat, saturated fat etc) for anyone.

Reactions: BeckiDover

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The poison is in the dosage.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The problems lies in what education, by whom, from what point of view?

Eatwell would be the likely answer right now which certainly for type 2 won’t be helpful and debatable the accuracy of some of the claims behind it (eg cholesterol, low fat, saturated fat etc) for anyone.
To a degree it is currently Eatwell. My daughter’s school have an Eatwell poster up on the wall in the corridor. And what they feed them with is barely Eatwell as they tend to err towards a carby platter.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t doubt it but why? If there’s so much sugar they have to cancel it out why have it? What’s the benefit? to whom?
It is purely as a bulking agent, as sugar and starch is cheap the more of each packet which is occupied by carbs the more profit for the company.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is purely as a bulking agent, as sugar and starch is cheap the more of each packet which is occupied by carbs the more profit for the company.
Okay, so that makes perfect sense.