Refused CGM funding [emoji31]

mossys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why is it that if you are a Diabetic who looks after yourself, lives a healthy life and has reasonable control over sugar levels you are denied CGM funding.

But if you lack any kind of self desire to look after yourself causing ill health and complications through bad sugar level control you have funding thrown at you.

D

Deleted Account

I would refer you to kids that get to do climbing and canoeing and orienteering to use up excess energy because otherwise they misbehave.
I would refer you to customers who are shout and scream about price and get a discount.
I would refer you to the average colleague who threatens to leave and gets a pay rise.

And I would say a Cgm (or a Libre which is not CGM) and is a tool to improve diabetes management not a reward for doing a good job.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've had type 1 for 52 years and was given the G6 in November because I have no hypo awareness, not because I abused myself but because I've kept good control, so please don't think I had the G6 through bad management of my diabetes , please don't judge people until you know their circumstances, I do agree that all type 1s should have a CGM, it's been a lifesaver for me.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry you don't get it funded (neither do I, because of 'to good' numbers).
But there are many of us who try their very best and still get highs and lows all the time. As much as I wish every diabetic who is motivated to use GCM or Libre would get it funded, as long as this isn't the case I see the wisdom of giving it to the people with the highest risk first.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Arguably, I tend to find we have more access to other opportunities with better controlled diabetes. I was offered orthodontic treatment in 2011 because my HBa1c was fantastic and they were willing to accept me and operate on me. I find that very hurtful, there are some diabetics who neglect themselves because they have no desire to look after themselves and there are those who have had accidents through no fault of our own, or in the case of children who cannot convey their feelings when feeling hyper or hypo, along with their energy and growth require that extra help to sleep at night and to live. So never clump all diabetics into one ball, especially children. I wish the NHS was like Swedish healthcare where we all have access to pumps and CGMs whatever the situation is. On the other hand if you feel you fit the criteria for a CGM, I hope you find someone in your diabetes team to listen.
Personally if we can manage our diabetes on just MDI and finger pricks, we’ll all do it, however we all develop in different ways, our bodies do funky stuff and we have different needs.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
you are denied CGM funding.

Sadly that's the default setting. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that even being type II, just using the FS Libre/miaomiao/xdrip combo has been a game changer for me. I'm lucky to be able to have some savings.
Apologies for bringing in politics, it's relevant, take notice of what our government are up to with anything to do with the U.S. Putting the NHS on the table in any negotiation with any country, never mind the U.S. really is the thin end of the wedge and scares me a lot. I for one will be on the barricades.

mossys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would refer you to kids that get to do climbing and canoeing and orienteering to use up excess energy because otherwise they misbehave.
I would refer you to customers who are shout and scream about price and get a discount.
I would refer you to the average colleague who threatens to leave and gets a pay rise.

And I would say a Cgm (or a Libre which is not CGM) and is a tool to improve diabetes management not a reward for doing a good job.
helensaramay
I wasn't asking for it as a reward. I was asking for it to help continue my good health (which I have worked hard at to achieve) and to prevent complications from being a burden on the NHS. Being pro-active on instead of reactive.

mossys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had type 1 for 52 years and was given the G6 in November because I have no hypo awareness, not because I abused myself but because I've kept good control, so please don't think I had the G6 through bad management of my diabetes , please don't judge people until you know their circumstances, I do agree that all type 1s should have a CGM, it's been a lifesaver for me.

Hi philchap1
I congratulate you on your 52 years living with diabetes. I'm only currently in my 29th year.
Since my appointment last week I have looked closer at my G5 reports (self funder) and diasend reports ( I currently use an Animas pump) and can see that I only really check my sugars after a sensor low or high alert. I didn't realise how much I depend on the sensor to alert me. This would suggest I also have hypo unawareness. Like you, I think due to better control I have lost awareness. How did you put this across to your consultant for them to grant you funding?

mossys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Arguably, I tend to find we have more access to other opportunities with better controlled diabetes. I was offered orthodontic treatment in 2011 because my HBa1c was fantastic and they were willing to accept me and operate on me. I find that very hurtful, there are some diabetics who neglect themselves because they have no desire to look after themselves and there are those who have had accidents through no fault of our own, or in the case of children who cannot convey their feelings when feeling hyper or hypo, along with their energy and growth require that extra help to sleep at night and to live. So never clump all diabetics into one ball, especially children. I wish the NHS was like Swedish healthcare where we all have access to pumps and CGMs whatever the situation is. On the other hand if you feel you fit the criteria for a CGM, I hope you find someone in your diabetes team to listen.
Personally if we can manage our diabetes on just MDI and finger pricks, we’ll all do it, however we all develop in different ways, our bodies do funky stuff and we have different needs.

Hi meichanski
I wasn't grouping people. I never mentioned children. I have Diabetic's as close friends who neglect their diabetes and have been offered funding so why when you do look after yourself to continue your good health you are denied. Bieng told - you don't need it. Come back when there's something wrong with you. Until that time, go on with your life. I know can't wait for my complications to start so I can get funding. Surely this is the wrong way around.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have an appointment at the end of June to get a Libre. I had to push for it, but I had a 2 week trial and loved it and 30 years type 1. I was in a critical condition last year, not diabetes, and I was told I fitted the criteria, when I went for my next hospital diabetes appointment, I was then told I wasn't in the running :( I felt so down and push aside.
I really had to push to get the Libre, also my next HbA1c was higher. It's like trying to get a GP appointment, if it 's non urgent, to them, it can take weeks. I have looked after myself for 30 years, always took my Insulin and tested too and eat a varied well balanced diet, but, with some up's and downs along the way.
All the best.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi philchap1
I congratulate you on your 52 years living with diabetes. I'm only currently in my 29th year.
Since my appointment last week I have looked closer at my G5 reports (self funder) and diasend reports ( I currently use an Animas pump) and can see that I only really check my sugars after a sensor low or high alert. I didn't realise how much I depend on the sensor to alert me. This would suggest I also have hypo unawareness. Like you, I think due to better control I have lost awareness. How did you put this across to your consultant for them to grant you funding?
I had some bad hypos and was offered the insight pump which has helped enormously with night time hypo's, I'd realised I'd lost my hypo awareness sometime ago as I had no warnings of a low, luckily for me my wife can tell when I'm low and has sorted me out on numerous occasions, I told my consultant at one of my annual reviews and she said, because of my good control my awareness had gone and due to the length of time it was unlikely to return, she suggested the G6 and it's been a lifesaver , on the downside I've had to give up driving but my quality of life has improved due to the G6.

Reactions: karen8967

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It is sad that it is such a tool that can help a well controlled type 1 do even better and it also makes your life easier. You would think it would cut down on costs because of less side effects from high Bg's?

In the US it is really easy to get a CGM if you are a type 1 and they are starting to give it to type 2's too.... If you pay for insurance that covers it. I think the insurance companies are realizing its benefits for keeping down other costs. Depending on what insurance you have determines the cost. That insurance determines the cost of insulin too. If you have good insurance you don't pay that much for the hybrid insulins either, but bad insurance or no insurance and insulin prices are escalating out of control here.