Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The two year clinical trial outcomes for treating type 2 diabetes with the ketogenic diet published today!

The results look good, and they've decided to extend the clinical trial to five years.

Here's the link to the overview, written by Sarah Hallberg, DO, MS and Rebecca Adams, Ph.D today... https://blog.virtahealth.com/2yr-t2d-trial-outcomes-virta-nutritional-ketosis/

In the fifth paragraph, if you click on the highlighted word "published" you can read the entire clinical trial article...
Long-Term Effects of a Novel Continuous Remote Care Intervention Including Nutritional Ketosis for the Management of Type 2 Diabetes: A 2-Year Non-randomized Clinical Trial
Or click on this link... https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fendo.2019.00348/full

I was able to download it to my computer. And the references are all clickable too.

I really enjoyed comparing the baseline, 1 year, and 2 year results in Table 2. It's viewable by clicking on it. Viewing is best on a computer monitor.

This is so validating of my experiences with the diet these last 4 years.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Thank you for posting. Will be interesting, also, to read what the naysayers make of the results.

The tables tell the story in the link.... great result. Manufacturers of diabetic medications might be a bit unhappy with that. The food industry (Heavy carb/sugar/junk etc) producers wouldn't like it to really take off and become a standard of care replacing the current detrimental guidelines. They would of course pay others to become their mouth piece.

However, I shall raise my cup of tea as a hats off to the result.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The tables tell the story in the link.... great result. Manufacturers of diabetic medications might be a bit unhappy with that. The food industry (Heavy carb/sugar/junk etc) producers wouldn't like it to really take off and become a standard of care replacing the current detrimental guidelines. They would of course pay others to become their mouth piece.

However, I shall raise my cup of tea as a hats off to the result.
I'm thinking of naysayers in the diet/fitness industry. Although having seen an advert for 'SlimFast Keto' shakes I'm sure they will do just OK after they get on the bandwaggon.

M

Member496333

Manufacturers of diabetic medications might be a bit unhappy with that.

Oh I wouldn’t worry too much. Already they’re finding ways for “research” to find potential alternative uses for their products outside of diabetes.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'm thinking of naysayers in the diet/fitness industry. Although having seen an advert for 'SlimFast Keto' shakes I'm sure they will do just OK after they get on the bandwaggon.

Depends on if they want to oppose it or see potential to make a profit as you stated by, jumping on the band wagon.

Reactions: Caeseji and Guzzler

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Oh I wouldn’t worry too much. Already they’re finding ways for “research” to find potential alternative uses for their products outside of diabetes.

I don't disagree, but when you look at the outrageous cost of insulin in the US, I just can't under estimate the lengths they will go to in the name of greed.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Logic dictates that after screaming about there being no long term RCTs in Ketogenics that sceptics have practised that it would be be crickets all around now, somehow I doubt that this will happen. They will find a new angle (or stick with the belaboured Fat=Bad) and it will be a spurious one. Keep calm and carry on Keto!

M

Member496333

Logic dictates that after screaming about there being no long term RCTs in Ketogenics that sceptics have practised that it would be be crickets all around now, somehow I doubt that this will happen. They will find a new angle (or stick with the belaboured Fat=Bad) and it will be a spurious one. Keep calm and carry on Keto!

I heard the other day that keto diets now lead to iron poisoning. It’s become a comedy at this point.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Change will only happen over a long period of time. I think the medicines will still be needed. Not everyone is willing to change their diet, many prefer to take the tablets so that they can continue to eat what they like (I know). Not everyone is ABLE to change their diet, due to circumstances, resources or capability. Also, the food companies will find new ways to promote their high carb products, for example, attacking meat consumption..

Reactions: kitedoc

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What saddens me the most is that the outcomes of this clinical trial will be met with silence from the American press. My husband and I have been following Nina Teicholz's work to change how the US dietary guidelines are written. To date, the committee has ignored or downplayed any studies that do not support their beliefs. It's unexcusible and embarrassing. Since learning about the tremendous benefits of the low carb and ketogenic diets to treat diabetes, we've come to believe that we're on our own now to restore and maintain our health. We now get our information from trusted sources of information, primarily the researchers and clinicians themselves.

M

Member496333

What saddens me the most is that the outcomes of this clinical trial will be met with silence from the American press. My husband and I have been following Nina Teicholz's work to change how the US dietary guidelines are written. To date, the committee has ignored or downplayed any studies that do not support their beliefs. It's unexcusible and embarrassing. Since learning about the tremendous benefits of the low carb and ketogenic diets to treat diabetes, we've come to believe that we're on our own now to restore and maintain our health. We now get our information from trusted sources of information, primarily the researchers and clinicians themselves.

Absolutely. You won’t see any of this in the mainstream press in the UK either. Or anywhere, I suspect. They’re all too busy writing the next sponsored keto crotch story.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
The two year clinical trial outcomes for treating type 2 diabetes with the ketogenic diet published today!

The results look good, and they've decided to extend the clinical trial to five years.

Here's the link to the overview, written by Sarah Hallberg, DO, MS and Rebecca Adams, Ph.D today... https://blog.virtahealth.com/2yr-t2d-trial-outcomes-virta-nutritional-ketosis/

In the fifth paragraph, if you click on the highlighted word "published" you can read the entire clinical trial article...
Long-Term Effects of a Novel Continuous Remote Care Intervention Including Nutritional Ketosis for the Management of Type 2 Diabetes: A 2-Year Non-randomized Clinical Trial
Or click on this link... https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fendo.2019.00348/full

I was able to download it to my computer. And the references are all clickable too.

I really enjoyed comparing the baseline, 1 year, and 2 year results in Table 2. It's viewable by clicking on it. Viewing is best on a computer monitor.

This is so validating of my experiences with the diet these last 4 years.
Thank you so much for posting this! I went to see my doctor this afternoon and she told me categorically not to take metformin and continue with 'the scientific aproach' to reversing diabetes. I guess the good information is leaking through in these parts!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fascinating comparisons with other dietary interventions shown on the graphs.
The Newcastle DIRECT study is included.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you @Winnie53,
I have sent an email to my endocrinologist.
Just wish there was a similar trial available and published for TIDs.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@kitedoc are you familiar with the Facebook group TypeOneGrit? I believe they completed and published a study using Dr. Richard Bernstein's ketogenic diet for type 1 diabetes (which is also used to treat LADA and type 2). I'm not on Facebook so don't know more than that. Perhaps others here do.

Endocrinologists in the US continue to be resistant to the ketogenic diet, but there are a few notable exceptions. Pediatric Endocrinologist Robert Lustig, MD is one. I've been following his work for a few years now and he appears supportive of the ketogenic diet so long as it includes whole plant foods for their fiber and excludes processed sugars. In a recent Diet Doctor podcast, he summed it up by stating: "protect the liver [from fructose], feed the microbiome [with whole plant foods].

This past week Low Carb Down Under uploaded to YouTube this presentation: Dr. Mariela Glandt - 'Reawakening the pancreas in Type 2 Diabetes'. She is an endocrinologist who embraced and began using the ketogenic diet with her diabetic patients four years ago. She makes a good argument for treating T2DM with the ketogenic diet within 2 years of diagnosis to put the diabetes into remission, which means the primary care physicians need to be brought on board.

Like you, I'm interested in sharing the clinical trial with healthcare providers here. This week I reached out to our local hospital's nutrition and diabetes clinic. Hoping to get an email address so I can forward the clinical trial link. If I don't get any traction there, I'll go to the dietitians in private practice. Eventually, I'd like to reach out to primary care physicians too. Still thinking about how to best go about doing that.

Richard Bernstein's book, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution was published in 1997. How is it, more than 22 years later, most endocrinologists STILL do not understand or support use of the ketogenic diet?

Thank goodness for the primary care physicians. At least some of them get it and are telling their patients about it.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for posting this! I went to see my doctor this afternoon and she told me categorically not to take metformin and continue with 'the scientific aproach' to reversing diabetes. I guess the good information is leaking through in these parts!

Thank you so much for sharing this. Gives me hope!

Dark Horse

Apologies if I've misunderstood (I don't know what 'crickets all around' means) but you seem to be saying that this is an RCT. The title indicates that it is not an RCT (randomised clinical trial) but is a non-randomised clinical trial. (That doesn't make it worthless, but does need to be considered when assessing the results.)