Early morning readings (pre-diabetic, just diagnosed)

Lizzie34

Hi. When I take my BG readings afterbwaking I get between 5.8 and 6 (pre-dawn syndrome I believe) but if I get up and take readings 30min later (no food/drinks yet), I'll get between 5. 2 and 5.6. So which readings shouldnI consider?

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just try to be consistent so that you can make comparisons and track your progress. Follow the same routine every day. And don't get too hung up on it!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi. When I take my BG readings afterbwaking I get between 5.8 and 6 (pre-dawn syndrome I believe) but if I get up and take readings 30min later (no food/drinks yet), I'll get between 5. 2 and 5.6. So which readings shouldnI consider?

Hi @Lizzie34 , try not to get too anxious about your readings, they are all good.

Our meters are required to give readings that are accurate to +/- 15% so there is scope for variability in the results. If your actual (true) blood glucose level was say 5.7 mmol then 15% of this would give an allowable range of around +/- 0.8 (I'm doing this in my head ) and all your readings would be within range.

We aren't working with laboratory standard equipment here, unfortunately.

Lizzie34

Hi @Lizzie34 , try not to get too anxious about your readings, they are all good.

Our meters are required to give readings that are accurate to +/- 15% so there is scope for variability in the results. If your actual (true) blood glucose level was say 5.7 mmol then 15% of this would give an allowable range of around +/- 0.8 (I'm doing this in my head ) and all your readings would be within range.

We aren't working with laboratory standard equipment here, unfortunately.
Not sure you got my point. I get 2 different readings depending if I take the reading right after waking up and if I wait 30min later. Does this mean that the 1st reading, due to dawn syndrome, is irrelevant or does this mean that both are correct and my body disposed of some sugar in the half an hour I'm awake?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Not sure you got my point. I get 2 different readings depending if I take the reading right after waking up and if I wait 30min later. Does this mean that the 1st reading, due to dawn syndrome, is irrelevant or does this mean that both are correct and my body disposed of some sugar in the half an hour I'm awake?

I'm saying that your meter is not accurate enough to determine the answer from the readings you have.

If the variation was bigger, outside the 15% error range or you had a couple of weeks of consistent results then you might reach an informed opinion.

If you take 2 readings, 1 immediately after the other on different fingers (or even on the same finger) you will most likely get different results - try it.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
So it could be the DP causing it to go up, but your body is responding with insulin to bring it back down to normal levels.