Type 2 Robinsons Fruit Creations

Vidar

Again I apologies

So I'm doing my absolute damnedest to stick to a LCHF diet and my future father in law who is also type 2 suggested Robinson fruit creations as a healthy alternative, with no added sugar and personally for me no Aspartame. I guess its okay only having one glass a day but I seem to be having it with most cold beverages atm and I'm worried that might actually be bad.

What do you guys think?

M

Member496333

According to the nutritional information it’s 0% carbohydrate, which is curious considering the claim of real fruit.

Reactions: Flora123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The ingredients list is alarming....

Screenshot 2019-06-06 at 15.45.34.png

And they have zero nutritional value.. I'd say go for water.. still or sparkling.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Why put all that rubbish in your body? Also I believe artificial sweeteners can still trigger a release of insulin.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If there are fruit juices in the mix then they have to contain fructose - unless the amount in the diluted product is so low that it is legally permitted to round down to zero.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
unless the amount in the diluted product is so low that it is legally permitted to round down to zero.
Yeah that's my thinking there, they always use that loophole so it's not going to be THAT many carbs but good lord it could cause some carb creep alongside the insulin spike from the sweetners but if the meter says you're okay then it shouldn't be too bad @Vidar

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you guys think?
Hi Vindar,
The amount of things I have seen with "no added sugar" that contain loads of sugar to start with is unbelievable so I never trust anything with that label and always read the ingredients. Anything with no added arsenic dose not mean there was no arsenic in it to start with.

Just looking at the added Sweeteners (Sucralose, Acesulfame K)
  • Sucralose: too much may lead to nausea, bloating, dizziness, muscle pain, numbness and weight gain.
  • Acesulfame K Long-term exposure can cause headaches, depression, nausea, mental confusion, liver effects, kidney effects, visual disturbances, and cancer in humans!:dead:
I'm not sure who Robinson's think is consuming these drinks but anything that "may cause cancer" in humans is probably not some thing "humans" should be drinking.

But that's just my opinion. I'm old fashioned that way. ;)
:bag:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh - and of course there is the serving size flim flam as well - tiny serving, zero carbs.

M

Member496333

If there are fruit juices in the mix then they have to contain fructose - unless the amount in the diluted product is so low that it is legally permitted to round down to zero.

I was under the impression that labels had to show <0.5 if this was the case. But who knows. I guess it’s not particularly important in the grand scheme of things. Sweeteners, and the distinguished ingredients list are another matter, but we are all free to make our own choices.

Vidar

Ah ****... I thought he may have been on to something with these. I drink a lot and find water very boring.

What drinks do you guys recommend that have some flavour but won't effect my blood sugars so much?

Hotpepper20000

Ah ****... I thought he may have been on to something with these. I drink a lot and find water very boring.

What drinks do you guys recommend that have some flavour but won't effect my blood sugars so much?
There is a world of teas out there. Green teas, black teas fruit teas, etc.
In the summer I brew a big pot of tea and put it in the fridge. Nice a refreshing on a hot day

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Asulphame- K is just as awful as Aspartame........... artificial sweetener. That drink is best avoided in my opinion, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Fizzy water works okay for me, I believe San Pellegrino also do a flavoured one with no sweeteners but will investigate what they add to it before advocating anyone try it.........here is a link - states zero sweeteners and zero carbs, only natural flavouring.........although I do wonder how.
https://www.sanpellegrino.com/uk/en/essenza-lemon-lemon-zest

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Again I apologies

So I'm doing my absolute damnedest to stick to a LCHF diet and my future father in law who is also type 2 suggested Robinson fruit creations as a healthy alternative, with no added sugar and personally for me no Aspartame. I guess its okay only having one glass a day but I seem to be having it with most cold beverages atm and I'm worried that might actually be bad.

What do you guys think?

I had those at the start as they are lovely.

But without knowing they irritated my stomach and I ended up with a very angry upset stomach. As soon as I stopped drinking it it disappeared.

I do have IBS and it appears sweetness are a big trigger so I have to be careful.

But also be careful that the sweetener doesn’t just add to the difficulty of not having sugar.

I had 2 small diet cokes on Sunday and I’ve suffered since, bad headaches, mood swings and cravings.

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You can get something called cold infusions. Twinnings started selling them last year, and Sainsbury then started selling their own brand. There may be others. I prefer the Twinnigs. You let them infuse for 5 mins, in cold water, stir/shake, then drink. Lots of flavour and no sweeteners. Available in a number of flavours.

I drank them all last summer, and they had no effect on my blood sugar levels

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
I wondered the same thing when I started low carb 5 weeks ago. I don't know how long you've been low carbing for but whenever I try to have a sip of this squash now, it tastes weird and fake and hideously sweet. My tastebuds have changed so much in quite a short time. I have water with a slice of lemon or strawberry, really refreshing.

Vidar

I wondered the same thing when I started low carb 5 weeks ago. I don't know how long you've been low carbing for but whenever I try to have a sip of this squash now, it tastes weird and fake and hideously sweet. My tastebuds have changed so much in quite a short time. I have water with a slice of lemon or strawberry, really refreshing.
I've only been on the lchf for about 2 weeks now, seems to be going really well so far in terms of weight loss, 12kg lost so far.

I'm still drinking these, but once they've gone they're gone, even then I'm only having a glass with my meals, everything else is either green tea or water and I drink a hell of a lot.

Definitely looking for better alternatives though like the cold fusions.

dipsydo

You could experiment with the following
If you want something different to flavour water consider putting in water slices of real fruit or vegetable and maybe a herb eg a slice of lemon , orange , or lime , or a couple of slices of cucumber and or mint . Put in fridge until chilled and the flavour has infused and the taste is surprisingly pleasant . It is bit of trial and error to find the exact amount of fruit you need as people’s taste vary . You do not eat the lemon , lime etc so the carbs are neglible . If you want a hot drink try grating or slicing small pieces of fresh ginger and putting this in the cup with hot water makes a warming drink no carbs and no caffeine.

Reactions: woollygal

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The ingredients list is alarming....

View attachment 33438

And they have zero nutritional value.. I'd say go for water.. still or sparkling.
That may be so but I have a glass by my bed at night and so far it has not effected my BG at all.

I do drink just water at times as well but I prefer something with flavour at night.
Also what comes out of the tap here is not just water it has additives which I believe are far more damaging to blood sugars and general health.

I just wish bottled water didn't come in plastic bottles which have their own problems health wise.