What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
It sounds like a wonderful place to live with something for everyone. It’s good that you live fairly close to your mom too. We ended up moving just 5 mins walk away from my dad in his later years which made things much easier all round and also meant my girls could pop in and see their grandad whenever they wanted. He’d look out of his window in the mornings to wave as youngest walked past to catch her school bus. Happy memories.
Looking forward to seeing a photo of that cake!

.... we had to move Mom 600 miles to be near me and nearer bro (was 1,000, now that much closer). He and I were killing ourselves visiting. We knew one more long distance hospital stay really would finish us off. Last one, we ate an entire cherry pie between us in about 12 hours. Not very LC.
ETA cake not happening on schedule-- son whose birthday we're celebrating has to work at just the wrong time tomorrow. The raw cookie dough will keep forever-- it's a butter cookie in essence.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems today was designated 6 monthly re-feeding day by my body without my foreknowledge. Tea and CWC until noon then on and off refuelling until 19.00 hrs, NE1 was, now normal, tongue sandwich in 2 well buttered xtra large flaxseed crackers plus cucumber and cherry tomatoes. Think I had some extra mature cheddar and some chive and onion cheese of some kind plus some cold pork shoulder. Made some gaucamole and added some acv vinaigrette which was hanging about. Had probs 2 tbls just to ensure it was hunky dory. NE2 was a large pork back chop which had been marinading in our h/m barbeque sauce plus plenty of mushrooms. Found a jar of apple and blackberry crumble in the freezer and ate with double cream as dessert. Can't work out how I feel about all that but too late to do anything about it now.
ETA: I did just about let the crumble defrost and cream was 6 days out of date but I used in coffee earlier and it smelled and tasted fine - we do have a full in date pot.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Meals definitely wonky today. The power, which went off mid-afternoon yesterday, stayed off overnight. MrZF slept without benefit of his sleeping breathing machine. I listened. We are both dragging. No power=no decaf! I reached quickly into icebox for avocado, ate whole thing. Went grocery shopping for salted roasted pecans-- Kroger's own brand Private Selection are gigundous and very meaty. And a decaf Americano with their entire day's worth of half&half. Power came back onJUST as I was about to buy a few bags of ice, MrZF's phone got charged just in time to tell me!, so hightailed it home.
ProteinNE will be smoked trout from freezer if it seems cold enough in there. Really kicking myself for not having already bought the chest freezer I keep talking about.
NE3 probably wilted spinach/hm dressing, celery, and something flax-y.
@gennepher your Hempiness crisp sounds decadent! But a little apple grated on something would be useless to my taste buds. Apples must be relished whole or in Waldorf salad or good apple pie or applesauce. I think your apples might be more flavorful than ours.
@Viv19 what do you see on my CMT? I added you to my Recipe Circle, and to see everything I'm pretty sure you have to do more than follow.
Drag self out of chair. All kinds of thing which require electricity await my attention

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes - well I ‘follow’ you. Just have the lovely cake though. :))
Go into settings on CMT. About half way down you'll see an item on Community Visibility - click on restrict to my recipe circle. Immediately under that is add/remove people from my recipe circle. Click on show my followers and any of us that are not in you circle just click on add to circle and the recipes should appear after that.
PS Setting can be found top right. Click on Viv19 and it's under Profile& (the word settings doesn't show on my tablet).

Reactions: Viv19

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@zauberflote- I'm still not 100% but still functioning. Went shopping today with no idea what I was buying then had to have a nap when I got back after putting everything away. The little ones go from P1 to P7. As you said it stands for Primary. P1 is where No 2 currently resides - they're 5/6. No 1 is in P4 and the kids in his class are 8/9 so he's the young side for his year. The P3's he was teaching are aged 7/8. @@ianpspurs- thanks but I'm not sure my menus are currently up to standard. Been keeping it simple as everything seems to tire me (mainly because I'm not sleeping well). Still, I'm sure I'll get over it soon. @DJC3 - meant to say I did have a giggle at Mr C's toilet plight. He was stranded quite a while.
Food for today - passing the time while Hubby curses the Scotland team on TV.
Bed 7.4 FBG 7.7. Fine during the day - just sitting a bit high in the mornings.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice Tesco high protein bread with lurpack. I suspect it is starting to affect me as I felt like I had a weight in my stomach for ages afterwards.
L. Water and another TAG with ADOC.
D. Liked the look of @Viv19's salad yesterday so lettuce, tomato, cucumber, 2 walnuts, 1 baby bel, boiled egg, Helmans, chicken breast that I seasoned with chimichurri rub, fried and sliced and 2 fried aubergine slices.
1 square Green & Blacks mint - had that earlier as I felt a bit queasy.
Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OH really dislikes aubergine, so I make it for me. Daughters like it but they’re far away.
I’m going to be foster mum to a lovely lab for a few months before she flies back to Oz. Looking forward to it.
I got a bag of frozen sliced aubergine in TESCO so it let's me take out what I want.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wall to wall rain here today, really grotty weather! Also, a year to the day that Mr B was rushed into hospital by ambulance. Not wanting to dwell on those memories, we nipped to a local posh garden centre this afternoon for a 'free' coffee (part of their loyalty scheme). We left with several house plants, a bunch of asparagus and a lovely orange skirt for me (early birthday present from Mr B). Couldn't contain my excitement to discover that I now fit into a size 12 skirt! This time last year I was a size 18, easily heading towards a size 20! Anyway, today's food looked like this:

B:Strawberry chia pudding with almonds. Black coffee.
Mid morning: Almond milk cappuccino with cream
L: Tuna melt muffin, salami, tikka chicken skewer with avocado, tomato, cucumber, sliced red cabbage, spring onion, salad leaves.
Mid afternoon: Americano
D: Chicken pizzaiola with courgetti and asparagus. Mini LC cinnamon cheesecake. Decaf coffee.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fry up of bacon, egg, mushrooms and two cherry tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: caramel carb killa bar and black coffee.
Dinner, takeaway night: crispy duck with two small pancakes, a smidge of sauce, veggies and a mouthful of crispy seaweed followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are back in Cornwall after our foodie trip to the wonderful Highlands. Missed breakfast at the hotel as we’d an early train to catch to Glasgow. I’d got a few snacks for the journey - bag of pork scratchings, 3 leftover Brazil nuts, but of Montezuma’s 100% and sticks of individually wrapped cheddar. Tea with milk from the refreshment cart.
Plenty of time to kill at the airport - sat in Weatherspoons reading the paper for a couple of hours with one of their refillable coffee mugs. I bought a small pot of cream from the Tesco Express there too.
Decided we ought to eat a meal rather than more salty snacks, found somewhere in departure lounge with extremely helpful staff and they cobbled together something for me although he said he’d never heard of ‘low carb’ he was very helpful. I ended up with a large salad with a chicken breast and 2 bacon rashers. It was pretty good.
I’ve had scrambled eggs since We got in.
@ianpspurs I had no idea it was gin day! Very upsetting that I’ve nearly missed it. I tried some free samples in the duty free lounge but even the staff there didn’t tell me. I’m going to have some now just to make sure. @PenguinMum you’re right of course - every day is a potential World Gin Day!
@maglil55 I do hope you feel better tomorrow. I meant to comment on your post about the boys and the cardboard box - we’ve still got the battered box the lawnmower came in a month ago, the girls love it. I remember when my eldest was about 4 we were going to a farm to buy eggs - I was talking to her about why we bought these eggs and how awful it was for battery farmed chickens to spend their life in a small box - of course she disagreed and said she thought the chickens would be very happy as she loved being in a box. Not the response I was hoping for!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi from me. I am not very constant on here but I am sorry @maglil55 who I thnk is the queen of the kitchen and an amazing gran has been so under the weather and I hope you get better soon. My food today:
Ne1: Usual 1 slice HiLo toast butter tea x 2.
N23: Small selection of big cold plate for OH and son.
NE3: Indian restsurant, tandoori grilled prawns and cauliflower bhajee.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote- I'm still not 100% but still functioning. Went shopping today with no idea what I was buying then had to have a nap when I got back after putting everything away. The little ones go from P1 to P7. As you said it stands for Primary. P1 is where No 2 currently resides - they're 5/6. No 1 is in P4 and the kids in his class are 8/9 so he's the young side for his year. The P3's he was teaching are aged 7/8. @@ianpspurs- thanks but I'm not sure my menus are currently up to standard. Been keeping it simple as everything seems to tire me (mainly because I'm not sleeping well). Still, I'm sure I'll get over it soon. @DJC3 - meant to say I did have a giggle at Mr C's toilet plight. He was stranded quite a while.
Food for today - passing the time while Hubby curses the Scotland team on TV.
Bed 7.4 FBG 7.7. Fine during the day - just sitting a bit high in the mornings.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice Tesco high protein bread with lurpack. I suspect it is starting to affect me as I felt like I had a weight in my stomach for ages afterwards.
L. Water and another TAG with ADOC.
D. Liked the look of @Viv19's salad yesterday so lettuce, tomato, cucumber, 2 walnuts, 1 baby bel, boiled egg, Helmans, chicken breast that I seasoned with chimichurri rub, fried and sliced and 2 fried aubergine slices.
1 square Green & Blacks mint - had that earlier as I felt a bit queasy.
Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Maglil, I thought you were GF, or do youjust favour some things in their GF variants?

Viv19

Go into settings on CMT. About half way down you'll see an item on Community Visibility - click on restrict to my recipe circle. Immediately under that is add/remove people from my recipe circle. Click on show my followers and any of us that are not in you circle just click on add to circle and the recipes should appear after that.
PS Setting can be found top right. Click on Viv19 and it's under Profile& (the word settings doesn't show on my tablet).

It’s working now. Thanks.

Viv19

Meals definitely wonky today. The power, which went off mid-afternoon yesterday, stayed off overnight. MrZF slept without benefit of his sleeping breathing machine. I listened. We are both dragging. No power=no decaf! I reached quickly into icebox for avocado, ate whole thing. Went grocery shopping for salted roasted pecans-- Kroger's own brand Private Selection are gigundous and very meaty. And a decaf Americano with their entire day's worth of half&half. Power came back onJUST as I was about to buy a few bags of ice, MrZF's phone got charged just in time to tell me!, so hightailed it home.
ProteinNE will be smoked trout from freezer if it seems cold enough in there. Really kicking myself for not having already bought the chest freezer I keep talking about.
NE3 probably wilted spinach/hm dressing, celery, and something flax-y.
@gennepher your Hempiness crisp sounds decadent! But a little apple grated on something would be useless to my taste buds. Apples must be relished whole or in Waldorf salad or good apple pie or applesauce. I think your apples might be more flavorful than ours.
@Viv19 what do you see on my CMT? I added you to my Recipe Circle, and to see everything I'm pretty sure you have to do more than follow.
Drag self out of chair. All kinds of thing which require electricity await my attention

It’s sorted now. :))

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Good to see you back twice recently and heartening to hear of both the good time at your brother's 80th and your support for World Gin Day 2019. Sun?
@ianpspurs lots of travelling, lots of celebrating and madam sans merci still can't behave. Yikes gin and bitter lemon!! You can't leave trees behind

Viv19

We are back in Cornwall after our foodie trip to the wonderful Highlands. Missed breakfast at the hotel as we’d an early train to catch to Glasgow. I’d got a few snacks for the journey - bag of pork scratchings, 3 leftover Brazil nuts, but of Montezuma’s 100% and sticks of individually wrapped cheddar. Tea with milk from the refreshment cart.
Plenty of time to kill at the airport - sat in Weatherspoons reading the paper for a couple of hours with one of their refillable coffee mugs. I bought a small pot of cream from the Tesco Express there too.
Decided we ought to eat a meal rather than more salty snacks, found somewhere in departure lounge with extremely helpful staff and they cobbled together something for me although he said he’d never heard of ‘low carb’ he was very helpful. I ended up with a large salad with a chicken breast and 2 bacon rashers. It was pretty good.
I’ve had scrambled eggs since We got in.
@ianpspurs I had no idea it was gin day! Very upsetting that I’ve nearly missed it. I tried some free samples in the duty free lounge but even the staff there didn’t tell me. I’m going to have some now just to make sure. @PenguinMum you’re right of course - every day is a potential World Gin Day!
@maglil55 I do hope you feel better tomorrow. I meant to comment on your post about the boys and the cardboard box - we’ve still got the battered box the lawnmower came in a month ago, the girls love it. I remember when my eldest was about 4 we were going to a farm to buy eggs - I was talking to her about why we bought these eggs and how awful it was for battery farmed chickens to spend their life in a small box - of course she disagreed and said she thought the chickens would be very happy as she loved being in a box. Not the response I was hoping for!

I’ve missed the gin day. I keep forgetting to buy low cal tonic, having stocked up pre LC days with the other one.
I had a brandy soda instead.

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3