lantus

Lucystewart11

I usually take my lantus first thing in the morning, and I was at my boyfriends last night and realised I only had half the dose left to take. I am home now and it’s 9pm and I’m wondering whether to take the rest or just leave it and take my regular dose tomorrow morning?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Lucystewart11 , lantus has quite a lot of leeway in it, so it's not going to make a huge amount of difference whatever you do. But I'd still be inclined to make up the difference by doing an extra shot to make up for the missing bit. Basal plays an important part in managing T1, there's not going to be a major disaster here if you don't make up the missing bit, but you might find you need to nudge levels a bit with novo to keep in line.

Ed by mod to remove unfounded accusations about fellow members

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kitedoc

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
One solution might be to take half of what’s missing tonight. It’s important to keep the level of your background relatively constant, just missing it would mean a long night of corrections!

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Please be careful if you take your lantus now and again in the morning you might have to much on board then.
Best to seek advice i.e. Phone 111 and tell them what's happened.
I do understand type one by the way and Lantus.
I've never killed anyone with my advice and was trying to help.

Reactions: Antje77

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
If I only missed it by 4 hours or so, I would take the full dose. But if it was longer than that (like if I went to work and forgot to take it) I would skip it for the day and make adjustments with a fast acting insulin as needed. That worked well for me, I just had to check my BGs more. I can escalate pretty fast with no food nowadays, but the half dose should have helped with that.

I did not want to take a full dose too much later because I didn't want to risk a overlap of two full doses.