Ketogenic Eating - Sun Exposure

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been keto for years with just under two months of carni and I still crisp up in the sun. I even managed to burn in the Welsh sun last week and it rained for five days.

I’m with Ivor on the risks of sun exposure and skin cancer and I would offer a link but I can’t find it.

Are you sure it wasn't rust? ;)

M

Member496333

I’m with Ivor on the risks of sun exposure and skin cancer and I would offer a link but I can’t find it.

Oh doubtless we can overdo it. Genetics and natural pigment must play a role. I’m certainly not advocating laying under the midday sun on the equator in my underpants. For me this is more just about going brown very easily in the UK without trying.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for joining late I had missed the thread at the beginning. I have not noticed any great change in my tanning ability, but that said I tan rather than burn anyway.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just to add my two cents worth - I had in fact noticed a greater quicker ability to get a good base tan in the warm season/summer since going LCHF/Keto. But I had also made a big deal about making sure I got into the sun without sunscreen in the morning, or in the late afternoon, due to the fact my insulin resistance has had a direct relationship with lack of vitamin D due to lack of sunlight on my skin, in my life. But I have noticed the good tan for sure.

I do think it is healthier , when pale skinned, to get a good basic tan during sun-safe times, to protect you naturally if caught for any reason without sunscreen (which will work for about 15 mins with my colouring, in a UV index state of 10-12, hugely normal in Australia and NZ) but I live in a skin cancer hot spot, and, I am well aware of the part vitamin D plays in blood glucose/insulin regulation. It's a balancing act for sure. And a good base tan is an outward sign of the balancing act playing well.

And of course how much pigment /melatonin you have in your skin naturally makes a big difference! As well as the UV rays beaming down on you where you live. Re sun safety issues. :).

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi-de-hi campers! What a fabulous day.

I’m sure that some of you in the ketogenic circle will have seen references to sun exposure. Specifically easy tanning and resistance to burning. I’d never really paid it much attention until this week. I’ve spent only a few hours on the patio in not especially strong sunshine, but have an immediate tan, and people have already mentioned that I look even healthier than usual. Previously I did not tan very well at all, and would just go pink if not careful. Managing sun exposure was important and required sunscreen. Now it seems I only have to step outside and I have a healthy bronze glow in no time at all.

This also got me thinking about health in general. Humans are naturally attracted to healthy humans. No doubt as nature determines we are the most likely to successfully multiply. Perhaps this is why, for the most part, we find an olive bronze tan attractive...because you have to be healthy to get a healthy tan.

So yeah. Rub yourself in grass fed butter and get outside in the garden. iPads optional :cool:
...Seriously? I never turn brown, I just burn to a crisp, like I did 2 weeks ago. Pale, that's me. And yesterday I noticed my arms were kindof... Tinted. Much to my surprise. I thought it was strange, because that never happens! When the burn goes away I'm just pasty white again. Not now. And it's not just the freckles giving me a tan either, it's really... A tiny little tan!

Never knew Keto could be the cause, but nice to know what's going on. :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have not found any references in my search of literature so far, but i wonder for the same length of sun exposure in the same individual on say, moderate carb, not keto - diet vs on a keto- diet whether the same or a different level of vitamin D is produced.
A danged difficult experiment i suspect but just out of interest.
Of course tanning not only provides some protection against the sun, it us also reduces the amount of vitamin D prodiced there, i believe.
I assume that for the Inuit etc that they eat fish during their long winters and thus do not suffer from lack of Vitamin D, but also i think they may tolerate higher levels of calcium in their blood with perhaps higher vitamin D levels from diet. My memory is hazy on this and cannot find the reference at present, but will delve deeper.

Reactions: Caeseji
M

Member496333

I’ve never happened across any ‘evidence’ other than a growing body of anecdotes from within keto circles.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I always see implications that the omega 3 to omega 6 ratio in our bodies dictates a lot of this as well. So even a high carb diet could attain this I suppose with proper ingestion of omega 3 but going low carb you usually cut out the biggest causative of the imbalance that being the seed oils. I have noticed that I used to brown up really well but in recent years I burned to a crisp but this year so far? No burning, just a hint of brown.

Reactions: kitedoc
M

Member496333

I always see implications that the omega 3 to omega 6 ratio in our bodies dictates a lot of this as well. So even a high carb diet could attain this I suppose with proper ingestion of omega 3 but going low carb you usually cut out the biggest causative of the imbalance that being the seed oils. I have noticed that I used to brown up really well but in recent years I burned to a crisp but this year so far? No burning, just a hint of brown.

Yeah that’s my understanding also. The general thinking is that it’s more to with the anti inflammatory effects of real-food ketogenic eating rather than carbohydrate restriction per se. Not sure if those eating ‘dirty keto’ where carbs are the sole consideration would experience the same benefits. Essentially, not consuming toxic machine oils seems to be where this comes from.

Reactions: Caeseji and kitedoc

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
@shelley262 that was a very interesting video. Thanks for sharing.

Take home point for me is seed oils being implicated in sunburn. If this is true then it would certainly explain why many people on a whole foods ketogenic diet report easier tanning and less sunburn, since those doing it properly tend to avoid these oils in favour of natural animal fats, and have a higher ratio of omega 3 as a result.

Speaking for myself, I avoid these industrial oils at all costs, so in my n=1 experience then this would go a long way to explain why my reaction to sunlight has changed so dramatically after over a year of proper, natural eating.

Interesting thread.
Question jim.

I alway used to burn easily over the years my arms seem to take it better.

Been keto for a year now if i took my shirt off in 46 deg C which is possible here i think id roast.

If you were here in summer would you have to rotisarate too?

Sorry had to say it. :banghead:

M

Member496333

Interesting thread.
Question jim.

I alway used to burn easily over the years my arms seem to take it better.

Been keto for a year now if i took my shirt off in 46 deg C which is possible here i think id roast.

If you were here in summer would you have to rotisarate too?

Sorry had to say it. :banghead:

I don’t know where you’re based but I assume it’s somewhere very hot and sunny if temperatures can reach 46c. I very much doubt the burning resistance that I’ve experienced here in the UK would pass the acid test in a very hot and sunny climate nearer the equator.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually started this diet to lose weight, (13'9 and should be 9'41) and to try and manage my perimenopausal horror of weight gain, rubbish sleep and brain sludge, also they think I might have MS and I want to reduce inflammation as much as possible to be all round more healthy. Getting a good tan (I'm a blue eyed redhead) is AMAZING! I have super dry skin (thank you, treacherous hormones) and can't use self tan, and pale and uninteresting is, well, pale and uninteresting. I wait to see what happens to the electric shocks, muscle spasms and twitching hands and toes.

Somewhat off-topic, so please forgive me momentarily, @Jim Lahey .

@Mbeira - I just wanted to comment briefly that my sister-in-law has MS, but around a year ago she went LC, just to trrim up a bit - from a self confessed vanity perspective, as she wasn't overweight- but as a very happy side effect, her MS, mobility and all that improved significantly, to the extent the medics rather interrogted her at her next outpatient appointment.

Fingers crossed you can swerve the diagnosis. It can take a while to diagnose MS, as you undoubtedly know.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
I don’t know where you’re based but I assume it’s somewhere very hot and sunny if temperatures can reach 46c. I very much doubt the burning resistance that I’ve experienced here in the UK would pass the acid test in a very hot and sunny climate nearer the equator.
In aus 46 is very doable. Ac comes in handy. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually started this diet to lose weight, (13'9 and should be 9'41) and to try and manage my perimenopausal horror of weight gain, rubbish sleep and brain sludge, also they think I might have MS and I want to reduce inflammation as much as possible to be all round more healthy. Getting a good tan (I'm a blue eyed redhead) is AMAZING! I have super dry skin (thank you, treacherous hormones) and can't use self tan, and pale and uninteresting is, well, pale and uninteresting. I wait to see what happens to the electric shocks, muscle spasms and twitching hands and toes.
You might want to check out Dr Terry Wahls..

https://terrywahls.com

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Somewhat off-topic, so please forgive me momentarily, @Jim Lahey .

@Mbeira - I just wanted to comment briefly that my sister-in-law has MS, but around a year ago she went LC, just to trrim up a bit - from a self confessed vanity perspective, as she wasn't overweight- but as a very happy side effect, her MS, mobility and all that improved significantly, to the extent the medics rather interrogted her at her next outpatient appointment.

Fingers crossed you can swerve the diagnosis. It can take a while to diagnose MS, as you undoubtedly know.

@DCUKMod
Excelent stuff. :)

From whats happening to me the LCHF has been helping me. An old thread of mine which started as insulin and the brain but finnished up as lchf or keto.

If you want remove this post cause its getting off jims original track but keto can be used for something else other than weight loss. its a study of one.

Will leave it in yours and jims hands.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi-de-hi campers! What a fabulous day.

I’m sure that some of you in the ketogenic circle will have seen references to sun exposure. Specifically easy tanning and resistance to burning. I’d never really paid it much attention until this week. I’ve spent only a few hours on the patio in not especially strong sunshine, but have an immediate tan, and people have already mentioned that I look even healthier than usual. Previously I did not tan very well at all, and would just go pink if not careful. Managing sun exposure was important and required sunscreen. Now it seems I only have to step outside and I have a healthy bronze glow in no time at all.

This also got me thinking about health in general. Humans are naturally attracted to healthy humans. No doubt as nature determines we are the most likely to successfully multiply. Perhaps this is why, for the most part, we find an olive bronze tan attractive...because you have to be healthy to get a healthy tan.

So yeah. Rub yourself in grass fed butter and get outside in the garden. iPads optional :cool:

I noticed the same , Just a few hours in the sunshine and got a really lovely tan. Another benefit to lchf. I'm actually disciplining myself again as i was falling back into bad habits because of family do's and I suffered a horrible migraine with visual disturbance , its really made me ill with IBS and depression as this has always scared me to death . So since last Tuesday I made a promise to myself to get back into the strict lchf and leave out the rubbish so to speak. Already lost half a stone again and joints feel better again , its a lesson learned that the old habits are not good for us and only five days back onto the real food as I call it and my health has improved . I'm back at the doctors Monday as scored very high on the depression and anxiety score with fast heart beat and possibly having beta blockers (not keen ) also back at therapy , but I am so determined to stay healthy and if i can avoid the migraine and vision disturbance that is my aim along with staying on track with my eating .
As always you encourage me , I'm, Charis by the way (long story about forgetting log in and password so had to get this old account back up ) but you really encourage me :)
ps what happened to the glorious weather lol , its rained all day and its really cold. Sunshine and hot weather come back :)

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

In aus 46 is very doable. Ac comes in handy. :)

Yeah I’ve spent a lot of time in WA. I think 42c was the hottest I experienced. Stepping outside was like walking into an oven. Next time I visit I think I’ll still be taking some factor 1000 sunblock :shifty:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Member496333

I noticed the same , Just a few hours in the sunshine and got a really lovely tan. Another benefit to lchf. I'm actually disciplining myself again as i was falling back into bad habits because of family do's and I suffered a horrible migraine with visual disturbance , its really made me ill with IBS and depression as this has always scared me to death . So since last Tuesday I made a promise to myself to get back into the strict lchf and leave out the rubbish so to speak. Already lost half a stone again and joints feel better again , its a lesson learned that the old habits are not good for us and only five days back onto the real food as I call it and my health has improved . I'm back at the doctors Monday as scored very high on the depression and anxiety score with fast heart beat and possibly having beta blockers (not keen ) also back at therapy , but I am so determined to stay healthy and if i can avoid the migraine and vision disturbance that is my aim along with staying on track with my eating .
As always you encourage me , I'm, Charis by the way (long story about forgetting log in and password so had to get this old account back up ) but you really encourage me :)
ps what happened to the glorious weather lol , its rained all day and its really cold. Sunshine and hot weather come back :)

That is awesome. Keep up the good work, and if you fall over again then just pick yourself up, stay calm and carry on. You can’t change yesterday. I saw your posts about the migraines but didn’t have anything constructive to add. Best wishes.

Oh and yes I know you are Charis...was it Charis123 or something similar? Remember reading the posts about your username mixup.