What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: A selection of local macadamia nuts supplied by Pacific Gold Macadamias as they sponsored a bowls competition at the bowls club yesterday, helped down by a cold low carb beer or three.
Dinner: Nile perch fillets and veggies.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water, beer.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are they ok to eat as they are? I thought they’d be a bit mushy ?
I buy them to mash up with basil, garlic, pistachios or pine nuts, lime juice and avocado oil so they get mushed up anyway. I have a recipe for a salad with sliced avocado, so I'll find out then... But I think from the reviews I've seen they're mainly bought for similar types of use, e.g. smoothies.

I believe @Listlad and @Tipetoo also buy frozen ones too, so maybe they can comment?

Robbity

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve missed the gin day. I keep forgetting to buy low cal tonic, having stocked up pre LC days with the other one.
I had a brandy soda instead.

@shelley262 put me on to gin with soda instead of tonic and I now prefer it - you can taste the gin better. I had a few problems with low cal tonic which turned out not to be low carb - Fever Tree ‘naturally light’ actually has 6g carbs per bottle so drinking gin with soda is better all round I reckon.
I quite like brandy but never tried it with soda, I imagine that’d be quite nice as a longer drink?

Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy them to mash up with basil, garlic, pistachios or pine nuts, lime juice and avocado oil so they get mushed up anyway. I have a recipe for a salad with sliced avocado, so I'll find out then... But I think from the reviews I've seen they're mainly bought for similar types of use, e.g. smoothies.

I believe @Listlad and @Tipetoo also buy frozen ones too, so maybe they can comment?

Robbity

Your mash up sounds good!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Robbity
I have bought them frozen from Morrisons. My wife grumbled at them. They were okay but yes, probably best for smoothies and mashing down for other purposes than to eat whole. It was worth a try though. Yes a bit mushy.

Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher

Viv19

@shelley262 put me on to gin with soda instead of tonic and I now prefer it - you can taste the gin better. I had a few problems with low cal tonic which turned out not to be low carb - Fever Tree ‘naturally light’ actually has 6g carbs per bottle so drinking gin with soda is better all round I reckon.
I quite like brandy but never tried it with soda, I imagine that’d be quite nice as a longer drink?

That sounds as though it needs some research. I will sacrifice myself.
I wonder what it would taste like with angostura bitters, perhaps a slice of frozen lemon. That’s quite refreshing in hot weather. I found some last year, it took ages to track it down. I wanted to make a tonic, angostura and lemon slice for No 3 daughter when she was pregnant, and couldn’t find it.
Brandy soda is a favourite longish drink. There’s also a horse’s neck, which is brandy (or whiskey, your choice) with ginger ale and a sliced of lemon peel (pithless). With or without angostura. Very good in hot weather too. There must be a LC ginger ale????

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Viv19

Robbity

Perfect for guacamole I would think.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

Bits chocolate
Black coffee

Eggs and cheese thrown in microwave

Coffee with cream

A couple pieces chocolate

Roast beef slices and cheese and cheese coleslaw

Cups tea with smidgeon of cream
Water with lemon juice or pinch salt or bit of tonic water in

I might have another coffee with cream later because I still have a bit of cream left...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Currently 15.04 but I intend this to be it for the day foodwise. Near identikit handpicked day for me so far. Warm, good for about 90 mins grass cutting with cricket watching in between. Sourcing for some parts of the menu not perfect but basically diabetic or no my favoured June day. B= tea then around 11.00 CWC (iffy part), cold infusion tea; NE chicken (ideally from farmers market or own but W1) leaves, pea shoots and edible leaves (W1 not own), cucumber (bought), 1 vine tomato (bought), store bought beetroot salad and coleslaw; fage 0% yogurt (on offer and same carbs as 5%) 150 gms and 56 gms raspberries (bought). More grass cutting, India to win, dog walk then some exercise bike = best day for a while even with the caveat for food provenance. Toodle pip.
ETA: Failed. @9.00 I needed some cold pork and strong cheddar rather than eating my own arm.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder what it would taste like with angostura bitters, perhaps a slice of frozen lemon. That’s quite refreshing in hot weather. I found some last year, it took ages to track it down. I wanted to make a tonic, angostura and lemon slice for No 3 daughter when she was pregnant, and couldn’t find it.
Brandy soda is a favourite longish drink. There’s also a horse’s neck, which is brandy (or whiskey, your choice) with ginger ale and a sliced of lemon peel (pithless). With or without angostura. Very good in hot weather too. There must be a LC ginger ale????
Most supermarkets do a sugar free / diet Ginger Ale. Found this though......https://thethingswellmake.com/homemade-ginger-ale-sugar-free-paleo/

Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I was wondering about lc ginger ale but I’m sure I’ve never seen it. I think we should ask @maglil55 if she would like a new project - maybe soda water fresh ginger and lemon juice would make an acceptable alternative?
Angostura used to be common - when old chaps drank pink gin but have only seen it occasionally in larger supermarkets recently. My dad used to drink tonic with angostura and a slither of lemon peel if he wanted a refreshing non alcoholic drink.

Reactions: Viv19 and maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fine in salads afaic but then I don't eat many avos:angelic: We saw them in Iceland (it is opposite Waitrose in Ely so don't judge. I am a man of the people really)

I’ve noticed the lack of avocados in your diet! What I want to know is how, given Waitrose and Iceland proximity, you would elect to go in Iceland? Maybe the Ely one is more inviting than the branches I’ve come across.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve noticed the lack of avocados in your diet! What I want to know is how, given Waitrose and Iceland proximity, you would elect to go in Iceland? Maybe the Ely one is more inviting than the branches I’ve come across.
Cheap fish and seafood to cook from frozen and, yes, Ely is relatively spiffing. I wouldn't send my enemy into the Huntingdon one.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My food today:
CWC in the morning
NE1 Carvery lunch at local pub beef, cauli cheese, broccoli, horseradish. The beef there is wonderful: apparently the chef puts it in the oven before he goes off shift on Sat night so it’s ready for Sun lunch. I must ask for more details- it’s moist, tender and delicious. Mr C had 2 plates as he had my Yorkshire’s and spuds and the granddaughter’s meat!
Bottle of champagne before and red with the meal between 3 so feeling v mellow now.
Just had some walnuts.
@BibaBee thanks for the lc ginger ale link
Thanks to @Tipetoo, @Robbity @Listlad and @ianpspurs for the frozen avo comments too, but @Tipetoo - Avocados in a tube! Really? Not sure I could cope with that.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Iceland best for frozen cauli rice and green rice IMO. Btw we have arrived in Cornwall came a day early and spending tonight at the Watergate Bay Hotel. Off to Porthleven tomo night and on to Fowey for Wed. Sooo looking forward to meeting up!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My food today:
CWC in the morning
NE1 Carvery lunch at local pub beef, cauli cheese, broccoli, horseradish. The beef there is wonderful: apparently the chef puts it in the oven before he goes off shift on Sat night so it’s ready for Sun lunch. I must ask for more details- it’s moist, tender and delicious. Mr C had 2 plates as he had my Yorkshire’s and spuds and the granddaughter’s meat!
Bottle of champagne before and red with the meal between 3 so feeling v mellow now.
Just had some walnuts.
@BibaBee thanks for the lc ginger ale link
Thanks to @Tipetoo, @Robbity @Listlad and @ianpspurs for the frozen avo comments too, but @Tipetoo - Avocados in a tube! Really? Not sure I could cope with that.
Cooking beef overnight is defo the way to go. Very low and very slow 60C is lowest our oven goes - only ever done it with large rib joints. 4 rib joints are quite functional done that way.
ETA: We think small joints aren't worth the effort so these days only the larger ones when 2 or all 3 boys and grandchildren come.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was wondering about lc ginger ale but I’m sure I’ve never seen it. I think we should ask @maglil55 if she would like a new project - maybe soda water fresh ginger and lemon juice would make an acceptable alternative?
Angostura used to be common - when old chaps drank pink gin but have only seen it occasionally in larger supermarkets recently. My dad used to drink tonic with angostura and a slither of lemon peel if he wanted a refreshing non alcoholic drink.
It's pretty simple as it is just a variation on LC lemonade which I've made before. It's either 1 ltr soda or fizzy water to the juice of 1 lemon and 2 tablespoons Powdered sweetener. It has to be powdered as you are not heating the mix to dissolve it. You can add more if you want it sweeter but I think 2 tbsp is enough. To make ginger ale you just add ginger juice. Peel and grate ginger root or you can blitz it and strain it through a bit muslin. Add it gradually but I reckon the ginger juice should he the same amount as the powdered sweetener.
Dead easy - put in a jug and stir.

Last edited by a moderator: