Share Your Progress!

Amey5159

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People with an 'I love me' attitude, cruelty to animals
I've lost two stone, started power lifting in the gym and exercising regularly, quit the alcohol (only special occasions now) and I'm now starting my journey to remission. I'm off my insulin, and looking to come off tablets by the end of the year. I'm low carb (keto) and building muscle (lean and feminine). Really shocked by how much carbs and alcohol were affecting my blood/glucose.
:):):):)

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Congratulations, at this rate you will be off the meds log before the new year. It took me 3 weeks to decide that the diet was more effective than metformin. If you add a little time restricted eating 2 or 3 days a week, you will accelerate your progress and throw in a little liver and pancreas rejuvenation. Again well done.

Reactions: Prem51

akccoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed type 2 18 months ago and found the LCHF program pretty much straightaway. Lost 2 stone then have stayed at the same weight ever since. HbA1C at the beginning was 58, dropped progressively to 39 a year ago, when I ditched the metformin prescription and is now at 36. LCHF has become a way of life. Even my diabetic nurse can’t believe how successful it has been. Luckily she has been educated by a knowledgeable GP who also advocates LCHF.

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Fantastic, keep it up and you will feel better than you did before you had T2D. I was a diabetic for 5 years before I came across LCHF and no one, absolutely no one mentioned to me that it could be reversed. It took a 2 minute news report on the Newcastle Research to send me googling and You Tubing for the answer.
I was diagnosed type 2 18 months ago and found the LCHF program pretty much straightaway. Lost 2 stone then have stayed at the same weight ever since. HbA1C at the beginning was 58, dropped progressively to 39 a year ago, when I ditched the metformin prescription and is now at 36. LCHF has become a way of life. Even my diabetic nurse can’t believe how successful it has been. Luckily she has been educated by a knowledgeable GP who also advocates LCHF.

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Fantastic, keep it up and you will feel better than you did before you had T2D. I was a diabetic for 5 years before I came across LCHF and no one, absolutely no one mentioned to me that it could be reversed. It took a 2 minute news report on the Newcastle Research to send me googling and You Tubing for the answer.
Well done to all the fantastic people who have worked so hard to reduce or come off medication. It can be hard but is so worthwhile. I only wish I had known 26 years ago when I was diagnosed, what I know now. The brilliant help from this site would have changed my life.

D

Deleted member 219428

I’ve just had my Hba1c results and i’ve gone from 7.8% to 6% in the last 3 months! And minus 15 kilos on top thanks to low carb! I have a long way to go and another 40 ks to lose, but i’m hugging myself right now...
I’m not active on the forum but want to thank you all for the great advice you give. We just do not have anything like it over here (France).
Most recent thing i’ve learned is not to do IF when taking Janumet. I’ll try ask my gp to put me back on Metformin only when I see her next month.
Thanks to all...

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just had my Hba1c results and i’ve gone from 7.8% to 6% in the last 3 months! And minus 15 kilos on top thanks to low carb! I have a long way to go and another 40 ks to lose, but i’m hugging myself right now...
I’m not active on the forum but want to thank you all for the great advice you give. We just do not have anything like it over here (France).
Most recent thing i’ve learned is not to do IF when taking Janumet. I’ll try ask my gp to put me back on Metformin only when I see her next month.
Thanks to all...

What a wonderful result. Very happy for you. Congrats on all your hard work. Keeping my fingers crossed for your appointment with your GP.

D

Deleted member 219428

Lchf can be an uphill battle with loved ones, i’ve just spent some time away with a friend who is following Weightwatchers and i kept getting told off as what i was eating was too fatty...For the sake of our long friendship, i didn’t respond much but it can be difficult. But hey, i’ve lost 15 kilos and she’s lost 8!

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
The difference is that her 8 kilos will return whereas your 15 kilos is genuinely burnt fat that can be kept off long term. I've lost patience with those telling me my Keto diet is unhealthy, particularly when I am downsizing my clothes every month, and give them a ranting lecture on why their diet is killing them, whether they want one or not.
I remain continuously surprised at the refusal of those who obviously have insulin related issues to accept a proven resolution to their problems and their willingness to argue nonsense in order to justify their obvious desire to remain in ill health.
Lchf can be an uphill battle with loved ones, i’ve just spent some time away with a friend who is following Weightwatchers and i kept getting told off as what i was eating was too fatty...For the sake of our long friendship, i didn’t respond much but it can be difficult. But hey, i’ve lost 15 kilos and she’s lost 8!

Glennis67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c results are in! 5.6! I was diagnosed May 2018 at 6.8, by 1st August 2018 was at 5.8, thanks to all the advice here about cutting carbs and focusing on taking it seriously.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c results are in! 5.6! I was diagnosed May 2018 at 6.8, by 1st August 2018 was at 5.8, thanks to all the advice here about cutting carbs and focusing on taking it seriously.

well done! :D

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Hey everyone!

We're really curious to know how everyone's gotten on this year. Have you managed to lower your HbA1c? Maybe you've shed a few pounds and are feeling proud of yourself! Whatever you've managed this year, we want to know about it!
I am 55 years old. I have been diagnosed with T2D Jan 2019. My lab tests read as follows: Hba1c 8.2 %, Triglycerides 1.08 g/l, Total cholesterol 1.46 g/l, BP 120/80. My last labs (Jan 24, 2020) are: Hba1c 5.8 %, triglycerides 0.57 g/l, total cholesterol 1.47 g/l, LDL-C 0.85 g/l, HDL-C 0.51 g/l, BP 120/75. In the meantime I lost 12 kg (from 75 kg to 63 kg). I need to say that I refused to take any form of medication, against the wish of my GP. All I did was going on a low carb high fat diet, doing regular exercise ( 60 min walks six days a week) and high quality sleep and stress management. I stopped ingesting any form of refined carbs, sugar, juices, sodas, pasta, bread, etc. My aim is to make my hba1c as close to 5 % as possible, and even lower. Since my last appointment with my GP I stopped having fruit. I am amazed at how my body is recovering: I started to enjoy those tastes and flavors that I used to perceive when I was a kid. I have better skin, better sex life (quality and duration of erection + intense orgasm). I got rid of those food cravings; I feel I need to have some food but not on a an emergency basis. I can reach satiety very easily. I could spend a whole day without feeling a pressing need to have to fill my stomach. I am proud of myself for making the right choice: no medication + maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not been on here for over a year but thought I'd let you all know that I am still in remission and now eating a relatively normal diet although not over doing the carbs. My BG is still around 4.6 mmol.

Reactions: NéjiSaïdi

Ray B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, I have T1 throughout my 74 years. A vascular bypass op on 4 March and follow-up op on 10 April left me some what limited in what I could do, as well as Covid-19. As a result I decided that I would try and do 100 push-ups a day. I stuck to a routine of 25 push-ups 4 times a day. Today I reached 10,000 push-ups during lockdown. Problem now is what challenge to follow up with.
Fully enjoyed it with lovely family support.
Cheers
Ray B

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Current Status:
Just received HbA1c results 2020 HbA1c 34mmol/Mol. Weight reduced by 27 kg to 101 kg. 9 " reduction on waist. Chuffed with myself

Reactions: ziggy_w

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Current Status:
Just received HbA1c results 2020 HbA1c 34mmol/Mol. Weight reduced by 27 kg to 101 kg. 9 " reduction on waist. Chuffed with myself
That’s amazing! Great work!

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
Recently got back on the low carb trail! Lost 28lbs so far.
Still taking Metformin 'til the Doc advises otherwise.
No more swollen legs, no more water retention and no more blisters for the Community Nurses to tend. My fluid retention cough is drying up too. I am still learning to walk again after an attack of Cellulitis took me off my feet last year, but around the house I dispensed with the walking frame. When they finally let me outside of my lockdown I am looking forward to walks again which I hope will help the diet and my weight problem.

I am loving my low-carb foods and don't miss the bread, spuds, pasta and pastries. Most of which the Government told me were 'healthy'! Yeah! Right!

In 1964 I left the RN, where among other things, I had taken a Physical Trainer's course. I didn't pass the course, but I picked up the habit of keeping myself fit. On demob, I felt as if I could walk through a brick wall!
Now at 81, I am back to losing weight, I am looking for brick walls, so to speak.
Moral of the story; don't believe everything the Government tells you!

Best of luck everyone

John

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
Hi everyone, I have T1 throughout my 74 years. A vascular bypass op on 4 March and follow-up op on 10 April left me some what limited in what I could do, as well as Covid-19. As a result I decided that I would try and do 100 push-ups a day. I stuck to a routine of 25 push-ups 4 times a day. Today I reached 10,000 push-ups during lockdown. Problem now is what challenge to follow up with.
Fully enjoyed it with lovely family support.
Cheers
Ray B

Ray. Well done on the exercise.
Just one little note. Exercise doesn't lose the weight. Most people think it does, but not so. Exercise is great for what you needed; it tones muscles, and it improves the cardiovascular system. But to lose the weight you really need to eat the right foods.
So I expect you are eating properly! Great stuff and keep up the good work.
To move on, try elevating your feet when you push-up, or put on a small rucksack to add a few pounds. And Keep Going!

Cheers

John

Newlysweet

Hi all, I signed up to low carb 12 weeks ago when my HBA1C was found to be 56. I was advised to try the ‘lose 15kg in 12 weeks’ thing, which I did using my fitness pal, this forum and diet doctor.com.
Pleased to report that everything has normalised, HBA1C 32, cholesterol dropped from 6 to 4.2. And I really like this way of eating! Even happier since I’ve discovered a few brands of beer which give only 3g carb per can - lagunitas Daytime IPA is sold by Asda too!
Thanks to all the old hands here for your wise and experienced counsel. No going back!