Coming off all medication!!

TrevorJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have some good news to share! Through dieting and exercise i have been able to reduce my weight and A1C from 12.5% to 4.9% and have held that for several months. My doctor wants to see what happens if I stop taking the meformin (1000mg/day). I don't know if I'll be able to permanently be able to stay off the medication, but It's amazing I have came this far. I really think this forum has helped guide me to successful management of my diabetes, and change my habits in general!!

As for what I did to lose the weight and lower my numbers:
Kept my meals around 20carbs, along with a good amount of protein.
No carbs before 10am (I'm super sensitive when I first wake up)
Tried to exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
Cut out almost all sugary beverages, candy, breads, pasta, chips, etc.
Kept my cheat meals to a minimum.

I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but it is and it's super effective. My lifestyle is overall healthier then when I was diagnosed. In a way I owe diabetes in that it made me get into shape, eat right, and promise myself to live a better life.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I took Metformin I found that it made little difference to my blood sugar levels. I got far more significant results with diet and exercise. If the same is true of you then coming off Metformin should be possible.

Reactions: Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done Trevor, keep up the good work!
I always say my type 2 diagnosis has been a blessing in disguise :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done that man. Giving up a drug is a milestone, keep up the great work.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I have some good news to share! Through dieting and exercise i have been able to reduce my weight and A1C from 12.5% to 4.9% and have held that for several months. My doctor wants to see what happens if I stop taking the meformin (1000mg/day). I don't know if I'll be able to permanently be able to stay off the medication, but It's amazing I have came this far. I really think this forum has helped guide me to successful management of my diabetes, and change my habits in general!!

As for what I did to lose the weight and lower my numbers:
Kept my meals around 20carbs, along with a good amount of protein.
No carbs before 10am (I'm super sensitive when I first wake up)
Tried to exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
Cut out almost all sugary beverages, candy, breads, pasta, chips, etc.
Kept my cheat meals to a minimum.

I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but it is and it's super effective. My lifestyle is overall healthier then when I was diagnosed. In a way I owe diabetes in that it made me get into shape, eat right, and promise myself to live a better life.
Well done! Well done indeed! Absolute inspiration to us all!

TrevorJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to give an update. It has now been almost 3 months of no medication. I am still maintaining around a 30 average, only slightly increased without the metformin. I have learned a lot about my particular problem now that I dont have medication helping me. The first and biggest is that I am super sensitive to carbs before 10am. My blood sugar spikes as soon as I get out of bed whether I have food or not. I have found just a simple 15 minute walk helps to control that spike. After 10 am my blood sugar stays in a normal range all day. So If I keep it low in the morning I can control it all day.

Reactions: Juicyj

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to give an update. It has now been almost 3 months of no medication. I am still maintaining around a 30 average, only slightly increased without the metformin. I have learned a lot about my particular problem now that I dont have medication helping me. The first and biggest is that I am super sensitive to carbs before 10am. My blood sugar spikes as soon as I get out of bed whether I have food or not. I have found just a simple 15 minute walk helps to control that spike. After 10 am my blood sugar stays in a normal range all day. So If I keep it low in the morning I can control it all day.

That

I'm happy to read this post. You've done brilliant. I'm 26 too, I hope I can get my A1c back to normal. I'm on metformin.. I find my biggest bg spike is when I have breakfast with weetabix and some fruit. I aim to go low carb myself just need to do more research first.

jennyjane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike cruelty to children and animals and all living creatures. Also, I dislike bullies, extreme modern art and architecture, supermarket and shop music that is unmelodic
Well done everyone on your amazing weight losses