Diabetic /Gluten free Apps

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone use an app? I’m newly diagnosed and struggling with what I can eat as that salad I just ate didn’t fill me up! ☹️
Be great to search and scan a food as when out and about and restricted to what the cafe/restaurant offers is ok.

IMG_1560190002.776893.jpg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone use an app? I’m newly diagnosed and struggling with what I can eat as that salad I just ate didn’t fill me up! ☹️
Be great to search and scan a food as when out and about and restricted to what the cafe/restaurant offers is ok.

View attachment 33554

To be honest, I'm not a great user of apps. What sort of things do you like to eat?

When I was starting out, I just used to ask Dr Google for "low carb........" (whatever). Obviously, for me, that was before GF came to the equation, but I guess you're used to doing some substitutionss for that already.

Have a look at some of these websites:
ditchthecarbs.com (does lots and lots GF)
alldayidreamaboutfood.com
ibreatheimhungry.com
lowcarbyum.com
sugarfreemom.com

Sites like yummly.com and copymethat.com have member recipes and yummly in particular has a complex filter system, allowin you to filter for all sorts, including excluding glutenous grains, and so on.

Reactions: GuidingSenses

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou! I’m gluten free yes but did have gf carbs like gf pasta, gf pizza base gf chocolate rice cake and now I’m just having 2 small gf brown bread a day so I’m missing carbs!
I like apps and found the gf search brilliant but will look at the sites thanks again.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou! I’m gluten free yes but did have gf carbs like gf pasta, gf pizza base gf chocolate rice cake and now I’m just having 2 small gf brown bread a day so I’m missing carbs!
I like apps and found the gf search brilliant but will look at the sites thanks again.

Annoyingly, it's those carbs that tend to boost our bloods up a bit too much, so I'm certainly not demonising them in any way, but we do need to be pretty carb-aware.

Are you testing your blood sugars at home?

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Annoyingly, it's those carbs that tend to boost our bloods up a bit too much, so I'm certainly not demonising them in any way, but we do need to be pretty carb-aware.

Are you testing your blood sugars at home?

No I’ve just been put on metformin day 4 of being diagnosed and I have a 2nd appointment a week on Friday - no mention of testing bloods.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I’ve just been put on metformin day 4 of being diagnosed and I have a 2nd appointment a week on Friday - no mention of testing bloods.

GuidingSenses, you are quite unlikely to be prescribed a meter and test strips, but for me, testing made a massive differene to me.

I tested before eating, then two hours after to garner insight into what that food did to my bloods. If they went up too much, I needed to eat less of that foodstuff, or not eat it at all. It's all very well being told x,y or z is fine to eat, but out personal reactions are just that - personal to us.

With the feedback from my meter, then acting upon it, I dropped my HbA1c from 73 on diagnosis to 37 4 months later. My test was late, as I had been overseas the whole time. My results have go even a bit better since.

I'd urge you to think about home testing. It's really empowering.

Reactions: GuidingSenses

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I will and Thankyou! I think I’m still in denial as I had no symptoms and still feel ok.
You are an inspiration though!