Is insulin right for me?

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
A bit of background. I was diagnosed in 2015 after a serious bout of stress. I was on Metformin SR and my results were always between 6-9mmol.

Then I went on two back to back AI holidays and came back to diabetes hell(toilet every 5 minutes/ blurred vision and crying all the time). Any I was referred last year to the pre conception clinic as I was TTC. The DN did suggest Insulin at that time as I was on 2,000g of Metformin but as it had brought my BGL down to a ok range (HbA1C was going down but weight was increasing) I didn’t think I needed it.

Well fast forward to Dec/Jan and I ended up in A&E with an allergic reaction and I noticed that I had thrush (I have had thrush every month since) my HbA1C was now 11 but Dr suspected that it was higher due to sickle cell trait.

Anyway I digress, at the time of thrush decided to come off Metformin, I now realise that it was responsible for the chronic pelvic pain that I was getting with no cause (Spent endless visit to Sexual health/Referral to gynea consult/MRI and ultrasounds) within 1 months the pain/ cloudiness and acid reflex was all gone!!

So at Diabetic review, DN said we have to do something and as I am still TTC (Pcos and recurrent painful thrush has not helped) she suggested insulin as all other diabetic meds are dangerous to the foetus.

I do believe that I am Type 1.5 based on family history of diabetes but I digress again.

So I’ve been reading this thread and there seems to be a suggestion that insulin if you are already insulin resistant is not a good ideas (PCOS means that I am highly insulin resistant)

Someone on another thread said excess insulin is linked to kidney failure (Dads side all died of kidney/diabetes related issues)

I am now confused do I pump my body with extra insulin or what? Is there another medication that anyone has heard about that they used while TTC?

Any help would be lovely. Sorry it was long.

Thanks

NC

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now don't shoot me down, I don't know anything about type 1.5. Just curious, have you changed your diet at all to cope with the diabetes? I ask because some of the literature by Dr Jason Fung and Michael Mosely say that LCHF can help with PCOS as well as diabetes for T2.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. My Hba1c decreases but my weight increases. The Consultant at the PCC finds it weird and medical records back me up that BGL are good when I’m “medically” overweight.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If there is a possibility that type 1.5 or LADA could be the true diagnosis then perhaps it should be explored now before you conceive so you can go into the pregnancy in the best health with the best treatment approach rather than tackling an unknown entity.

If it is type 2 then low carb - if it hasn’t been tried yet -would be my next step before strong meds that may not be the ideal solution. It helps for pcos as well as diabetes.