What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food eaten today

2 slices roast beef and cheese.

Dentist next. I was tired still from the bug I had. I did a bit of shopping in Iceland but there was no double cream and I had run out, and it was too far to go somewhere else. But I did get a can of the squirty cream despite the sugar. I don’t like the stuff but wanted cream. So I ended up forgetting what I had intended to do when I got back.

I got some mince out to defrost, then some fresh frozen chopped veg. And what I thought were onions.

I made a coffee, squirted that cream in, but I spent the next two hours going to fridge to nibble an open packet of corned beef to stop feeling sick from squirty cream. Squirty cream ended up in bin.

When I opened the defrosted bag of onions I realised they were pieces of different fish. What to do now?

So I cooked fish in microwave with butter and added some button mushrooms. And I ate it, it was delicious.

So I cooked the mince and vegetables in the microwave and made a sort of beef stew (!). And I put a fresh onion in.

Plan was to cool it and put it in fridge for next two days. But it smelt nice so I took a mug full and had that. (The rest will be for next two days)

An odd day’s eating, it just went a bit wrong!

Just drinking black tea now (no cream to milk it)
And water with lemon juice or pinch salt.

I think that is it.

I know it is early (5pm) but I am tired and want my bed, so goodnight from here.

>^..^<

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. 6 month results online today - summary in signature. Bg disappointing but the rest - including detailed bloods - paints a picture of 4 years of very nice but unintended consequences. May try to tweak bg slightly over next cycle but my instinct is I function best at higher end and squashing bg will impact negatively on overall wellness and well being. Food? No B - lots of tea then CWC - mainly due to cold,wet and boring. NE1 was h/m guacamole, another avocado, tin of mackerel in EVO and 2 of our eggs. NE2 was thigh from yesterday's chicken, some cold pork and salad- leaves, flowers, cucumber, celery, cherry toms with EVO/ACV vinaigrette. I'm never going to be a happy LCer or low bg guy but right now the unintended upsides offset my doubts.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold jerk chicken with leafy salad, cucumber and two cherry tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: bolognese with courgetti and grated mature cheddar followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Am unsure if this is the place for me. Seem to have a lot more carbs and food in general than everyone else.
10-06-19
BG a bit high for me this morning before breakfast @ 6.4 about an hour after getting up.
Breakfast: 100g bacon and 2 egg about an inch off yesterdays baguette to mop up the bacon fat. 2 cups of tea.
2 hours later BG 5.4
lunch: sunshine vegetable soup followed by coffee with cream. Forgot to take premeal reading but two hours later was 5.1
snack: cup of tea, piece of spice cake spread with butter.
before dinner BG 5.8
Dinner: beansprout and mixed veg stirfry with few prawns and almonds thrown in at last minute. Served with rice, 2 tbs only for me. Yoghurt and another peach, snaffled about an inch of baguette with melted brie from MrSlim. 2 glasses red wine, coffee with french cream. (french cream has 30% fat and a few carbs. Uses emulsifier - carrageen) will have to read labels more closely next time. Have found nothing like British double cream so far though.
Calories just under 2000, fat 108g, carbs 112g, protein 85g

edited to add:
BG 2 hours after dinner 5.1

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold jerk chicken with leafy salad, cucumber and two cherry tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Dinner: bolognese with courgetti and grated mature cheddar followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
like the new avatar pics
One of my best discoveries was bags of frozen sliced avocados!

Robbity

Reactions: ianpspurs

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
like the new avatar pics
I buy them to mash up with basil, garlic, pistachios or pine nuts, lime juice and avocado oil so they get mushed up anyway. I have a recipe for a salad with sliced avocado, so I'll find out then... But I think from the reviews I've seen they're mainly bought for similar types of use, e.g. smoothies.

I believe @Listlad and @Tipetoo also buy frozen ones too, so maybe they can comment?

Robbity
ooh, must look for these, love mashed avocado for breakfast. Get in loads of calories and one of my five (at least) a day in one.
:facepalm: Forgot - we dont have freezer atm. :arghh:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meals definitely wonky today. The power, which went off mid-afternoon yesterday, stayed off overnight. MrZF slept without benefit of his sleeping breathing machine. I listened. We are both dragging. No power=no decaf! I reached quickly into icebox for avocado, ate whole thing. Went grocery shopping for salted roasted pecans-- Kroger's own brand Private Selection are gigundous and very meaty. And a decaf Americano with their entire day's worth of half&half. Power came back onJUST as I was about to buy a few bags of ice, MrZF's phone got charged just in time to tell me!, so hightailed it home.
ProteinNE will be smoked trout from freezer if it seems cold enough in there. Really kicking myself for not having already bought the chest freezer I keep talking about.
NE3 probably wilted spinach/hm dressing, celery, and something flax-y.
@gennepher your Hempiness crisp sounds decadent! But a little apple grated on something would be useless to my taste buds. Apples must be relished whole or in Waldorf salad or good apple pie or applesauce. I think your apples might be more flavorful than ours.
@Viv19 what do you see on my CMT? I added you to my Recipe Circle, and to see everything I'm pretty sure you have to do more than follow.
Drag self out of chair. All kinds of thing which require electricity await my attention
busy day, feel for you without electricity.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Seems to be a night for pics so thought I’d add my dinner, nothing very complicated but nice and colourful all the same!
Lunch: Babybels with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Dinner: cold fruity jerk chicken, coleslaw, leafy salad, two mini plum tomatoes and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

View attachment 33476
makes me wish had pics of my dinner

Reactions: gennepher

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sounds like you have a lot on your plate at the moment @zauberflote , thank heaven for a squishy cat on your lap to help you feel at peace with the world.
I had to re-read your sentence “at the local harp store” as if that’s a normal thing like a local butcher’s you must be living in a musician’s paradise! I’m sure your mom will love the outing and it’ll do her the world of good.
I’ve seen something along the lines of your wafer/ cream cake - if you manage a lc version I’d be very interested in seeing the recipe ( I am following you on CMT so will look out for it)

Ps Mr C’s phone was in his jacket pocket - hung over the back of his chair. I did try texting him at one point but just heard the ping in his pocket. He reckons he was in there nearly an hour but I don’t think he can have been - surely I’d have missed him before then? He got in an even bigger huff later when it transpired I’d texted our daughters and told them about it and they all started sending him lavatory based jokes
Our toilet is beyond a joke - have been flushing with buckets for about two weeks now. Good thing we have a copious supply of rainwater daily.

Reactions: DJC3
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Ham salad with some kimchi mixed in.
Dinner: Curried beef which the grandsons cooked, still sweating, and I like hot food.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water.

D

Deleted member 308541

Our toilet is beyond a joke - have been flushing with buckets for about two weeks now. Good thing we have a copious supply of rainwater daily.
We used a plumber when ours blocked up, easier than using buckets of precious water all the time.