Best place to shop for low carb?

Vidar

So where do you guys shop? Any recommended online stores etc?

The Fiancee has been going to Aldi but everything there seems to be loaded with carbs and sugars. 70% Cocoa chocolate I was looking forward too, loaded with sugar 7.5grams a square. Even the Greek Yoghurt there 5% fat, the only one she could find seems to be pretty high in sugars and carbs. So I can't eat it and won't eat it as I know this **** is poison to me now!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to shop in Waitrose mainly because I have examined all the products I want to buy there and can find them easily.
For Greek yoghurt you need to get plain.. anything with "fruit" in will be carby.
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-1-greek-natural-strained-yogurt/836765-291542-291543 3.7g carbs per 100g 10.2g fat.
choc
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/lindt-excellence-dark-chocolate-85-cocoa/020641-10055-10056
they also do a 90% but thats a bit too bitter for me.

It's mainly just a case of checking the labels on the back of the package... usually ignoring the pointless traffic light label on the front. Aldi unfortunately have a pretty rubbish website so its hard to check things out beforehand.. Lidl is the same.
Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsbury, Morrisons, Asda give more nutrition info so you can select stuff before going there then stick to the list.

Last edited:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The only food items I buy are veg and cream, plus their 85% choc if they have the right brand it (not all 85% choc has the same carbs) and plain 5% Greek yogurt, again depends on the brand but if below 3.5 g of carbs it's good.
I do most of my shopping online from Ocado and like their Dorset brand yogurt - not marketed as Greek but the same. I buy flaxseed, etc from them, and the Ugg brand chia cake mixes when baking for friends (lower carbs but still an occasional only treat).
Apart from that I use a couple of the online low carb shops for specials such as no added sugar biscuits and sugar free maple syrup flavoured sauce.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I shop in Aldi their Brooklea Greek yogurt is 10g of fat & 3.6 carbs per 100g
Their Moser Roth 85% dark chocolate is 5 small bar's 4.6 carbs each

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ALDI and LIDL are a low carbers dream!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
So where do you guys shop? Any recommended online stores etc?

The Fiancee has been going to Aldi but everything there seems to be loaded with carbs and sugars. 70% Cocoa chocolate I was looking forward too, loaded with sugar 7.5grams a square. Even the Greek Yoghurt there 5% fat, the only one she could find seems to be pretty high in sugars and carbs. So I can't eat it and won't eat it as I know this **** is poison to me now!

I shop in Lidl, for fresh vegetables, cheese and cream. Sometimes free range chicken, Free range eggs, salted butter. Not the bacon.

Morrisons for the beef (good local butchery). Not the bacon.

Co-op for bacon and sausages and cream, mainly. Their dry cured bacon does seem to be dry, not like the water emitting versions from some others. Also their lasagne which doesn't seem to spike me.

Used to shop in M&S for meat (steak, bacon, sausage) and meal deals if they were lowish carb. However they closed the local store.

I don't go anywhere special for low carb shopping - just buy low carb staples from the local supermarkets.

Edit: I do shop in Waitrose and Sainsbury from time to time but they are both a medium car drive away so I prefer to shop local.

Reactions: Serena51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I go to Asda for low carb breads, but in any supermarket I tend to go around the outside edge to find the lower carb items.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
No rules, you go as low carb as you need to get the sugar levels you want
Pretty much this, we’re all wired differently at the end of the day. I personally try to be below 20g per day having either 1 or 2 meals per day. Echoing others really I shop at ALDI and ASDA and I have staples that I always go for. It would be fantastic if you could monitor though!

Reactions: Serena51

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LIDL bratwurst used to be zero carb and probably all lips, bums and cheeks. Love ‘em

Reactions: Caeseji

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually posed the same question a couple of months back and many an answer came back along the lines of every supermarket, purchasing natural ingredients.

I find Aldi useful but can’t get everything I need from Aldi. So normally have to visit more than one supermarket. However for an extra few bob Ocado provides a wide range of produce without having to leave the house.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Aldi sells meat, eggs and green veg, what else does one need on a low carb diet?

Reactions: ert

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what's the general rule for carbs? Under 5g per serving?
You need to give yourself a target for the day, somewhere between 20g and 100g of carbs is common. If it was 60g then divide it up maybe 10g at breakfast, 10g at lunch and 30g at dinner with 10g for snacks etc. Test before each meal and 2 hrs later and try to keep the rise less than 2mmol/L by modifying the amount of carbs. It is the total amount of carbs that is important, you need to take the quantity into account as well as carbs per 100g. For example mustard is fairly high carb but you are only going to have a teaspoon, maybe 5g.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I set a limit of 10 percent carbs for just about all foods, other than chocolate - which is about 15 percent, but I limit the amount I eat and I am losing the taste for it, I think. I have not bought any for weeks now.
I eat around 40 gm of carbs a day, which keeps me at the very edge of normal Hba1c levels.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would encourage where possible that you try to use local suppliers. My family mainly buy our meat, fish, veg and Hens eggs from a farmers market, supplemented by Morrisons because they have good deals on things like reduced whole salmon.

Milk, cream and butter from a local dairy. Duck eggs from a local small holding.

Berries mainly from Waitrose.

I believe if "we" are to maintain choice of quality food we have to where possible support local, the thought of the Beyond or Impossible burger being the only option is scary.

Lachie M

For online shopping I would recommend muscle food for meats. They also do low carb meals and pizza tho I haven't tried them out.
They normally have deals running which make them work out quite cheap (I do have a referral code but to be honest you get less with it than their deal codes)

They have nutritional labels on all their foods so you can easily work out the carbs.

ShortStuff

I shop fresh & shop local as much as I can.

I’m vegetarian & I don’t eat eggs, but if I did I’d buy meat from the local butcher & eggs from the very happy hens at the Farm shop.

I buy a lot of veg from the local farm shop, or the farmers market, but obviously also any supermarket.

I buy cheese, Fage FF yogurt, cream, Cauldron (veggie) sausages, frozen celeriac, cauliflower rice & any ‘occasional’ food (berries, almonds) at most any supermarket, (checking the carbs in almonds as they vary enormously).

The only things I buy at a specific shop are the Taifun basil infused tofu from Waitrose (the only place I’ve ever seen it), Waitrose Basil Infused Olive Oil, their tomato & mozzarella salad (it’s SO good, way more flavour than I can recreate) and Macadamia nuts.

Oh and Tesco for Hellman’s VEGAN mayo, that’s beyond amazing & Food Dr seeds (though I’m still VERY annoyed they changed their mix). No other supermarket around here stocks those two items.

I don’t really buy anything manufactured to be ‘low carb’, but I might try a few things that have been mentioned here & elsewhere.

It does become much easier after a while, honest.

D

Deleted member 308541

When I started to take more notice what food item was low carb in the store I shop at. I put the stores app on my phone and made a online shopping account.

Next grocery shopping trip we used the bar code scanner in the app to add items that we bought to the shopping list. Originally we had about eighty items but that since increased to one hundred twenty items,

Easy to see the carb content in our shopping list when we add items online all from the comfort of home.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy