Tiredness after hypos

LyndsayM

Hello all, I’m new to this whole diabetes lark having been diagnosed type 1 out of the blue just a month ago. Have started having the odd hypo and then afterwards I crash into a deep sleep. I’m not concerned about the hypos, I know they’re part and parcel of getting everything regulated, and they haven’t been severe but, my question is, is the crashing tiredness afterwards something to be expected? TIA

D

Deleted Account

The answer is short ... tiredness after a hypo is not unusual.
I hope you get your insulin dose levels sorted soon to avoid future hypos.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @LyndsayM I also went through a period of falling asleep for an hour or two after hypos, they hit me like a ton of bricks, it will improve in time Lyndsay and also you'll find some are worse than others.

The issue with hypos is your brain is starved of glucose so the primary focus is restocking levels, hence why the need for sleep, not everyone gets it though and I only get them every so often now.

Reactions: porl69 and Knikki

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely normal, I always crash after a hypo and could easily catch a few hours sleep to recover. I find if my bg has dipped multiple times during the day I'm exhausted.

Hello @LyndsayM I also went through a period of falling asleep for an hour or two after hypos, they hit me like a ton of bricks, it will improve in time Lyndsay and also you'll find some are worse than others.

The issue with hypos is your brain is starved of glucose so the primary focus is restocking levels, hence why the need for sleep, not everyone gets it though and I only get them every so often now.

Reactions: Knikki

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The first signs of a hypo are usually the rapid heart beat, sweating etc which are due to adrenaline release as low bsl is an emergency - the brain is threatened and this adrenaline release ( from the adrenal gland) plus release of a hormone called glucagon) from the pancreas gland both influence the liver to release stored glucose, thus helping to raise one's BSL and imprive the glucose supply to one's brain.
Adrenaline is activating emergency body supplies to deal with an internal or external threat and that can keave one tired afterwards, similar to uf one receives a bad fright or has to fight, defend oneself or escape danger.
Then if the hypo lasts long enough, the bsl is low enough, one's brain starts to suffer and the after-effects can include slow-thinking, mull headedness and tiredness.
The important thing is to try and work out why the hypo happened and how to prevent ot at least minimise it happening aain.
Best Wishes.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't crash, I don't get the chance to, those close to me expect me to carry on doing everything as normal, I can feel awful for up to 3 days after a hypo depending how bad its been, I literally feel like I've been hit by a ton of bricks and suffer awful hypo hangovers, I hope you manage to get your insulin doses sorted relatively soon as there are problems that can occur such as loss of hypo awareness which unfortunately I've been through, good luck!
xx