New Snack

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just tried some Mr Porky 'Crispy Strips' - delicious- almost like bacon rashers/frazzles! They are slightly lower in fat and therefore a bit less greasy.

102 kcal and 0.1g carbs per 20g pack. Yummy! :hungry:

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They would give me a headache too, unfortunately.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just tried some Mr Porky 'Crispy Strips' - delicious- almost like bacon rashers/frazzles! They are slightly lower in fat and therefore a bit less greasy.

102 kcal and 0.1g carbs per 20g pack. Yummy! :hungry:
Ooo where did you get those from? They sound good.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooo where did you get those from? They sound good.
It was from my little corner shop, hanging up on one of those cards. I tried Tesco website but they havn't got them, think they might be quite new. I shall have to ask the guy in the shop to get some more in!!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was from my little corner shop, hanging up on one of those cards. I tried Tesco website but they havn't got them, think they might be quite new. I shall have to ask the guy in the shop to get some more in!!!
so new they don't even appear on the Mr Porkys website.. or at least not that I could see.. the hunt is on!!

Dark Horse

Unfortunately, that's not a very good quality website. On the plus side, the author a) makes it clear that she is not a research scientist or medically qualified and b) she is not selling anything (other than the idea that MSG is bad).

However, the views are those of a single author and the nature of the references (many studies are in vitro, rodents, or use high doses unlikely to be found in the diet) suggests she has chosen the belief 'MSG is bad' and then searched for any publications that might be used to support that view, however tenuously.

In contrast, the scientific approach would be to ask the question "Is MSG bad?" and then systematically review all publications which relate to this question and be careful not to cherry-pick those which support a preconceived belief.

A good tip when trying to find out information in an area outside your own expertise is to choose publications from reputable bodies rather than those produced by a single author. Some examples are:-
  • World Health Organisation
  • European Communities’ Scientific Committee for Foods
  • Council on Scientific Affairs of the American Medical Association
  • Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
  • United States Food and Drug Administration
Organisations like these will use expert committees to review all the evidence and weigh it up before pronouncing judgement.

Richardson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
These are a real tasty low carb snack.. replacing Crisps.. Wilko sell them in store..£1:00 a 100gram bag, not too hard, easy on the teeth. We love 'em..