Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What is so special about this stuff being plant based? Bread, pasta, rice and potatoes are plant based and look where that got me!

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
especially since it's plant based.
Arsenic is plant based too.:hungover:

Jennifer, reading the "blurb" the the essential extracts of both garlic and onion found in Emulin could be a possible benefit to any Jain's taking it as a supplement or indeed any other religion that does not use these allium staples of European diet.

There is medical evidence to suggest that garlic, onion & green coffee/tea can help in controlling/reducing blood glucose levels (just google it). So just from that paying £45 for a bottle of Emulin, but not because it is a break through in diabetes treatment but contains things that we already know can work thrown together with a big price tag. :meh:

You and your cousin would both be better of financially, on a low carb diet with extra garlic and onions. ;)
:bag:

Reactions: EllieM

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
When I was first diagnosed, I spent a lot of time trying supplements, looking for a magical cure.

Firstly Berberine for six months. Similar studies to suggest that it is as effective as Metformin:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5839379/
However, there appears to be a strong link to DNA damage and liver tumours for berberine. It's worrying that there seem to be inadequate studies as yet. The whole field of 'alternative' therapies is something of a minefield.
https://ac.els-cdn.com/S03784274130...t=1517995476_9dacef1db7ef3e2cd47622339967e033

Secondly, Ashwagandha for three months. This study made me think that it was not going to help.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695282/

Conclusion. Using a glucometer as evidence: A LCHF diet and exercise are the real winners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Arsenic is a mineral.
Could use Rhubarb (oxalic acid) or Horseradish (glucosinolates) and others as examples of natural plant foods that aren't too healthy other than in small quantities.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Digitalis.
Cyanide found in almonds (hint, smell of bitter almonds).
Death cap (although fungi are held by some to be neither plant nor animal).
Nature is full of poisons manufactured by plants to prevent predation by animals.

It is therefore not logical that anything plant based is automatically good for animals.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Arsenic is a mineral.

Arsenic is a chemical element with a symbol of As, and atomic number 33!
It can occur in minerals but also in crystal form)!

My chemistry a level coming good!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't really have a problem with anybody deciding to take some supplement or other in a bid to help themselves but I think it's pretty obvious that good old fashioned hard work wins in the end. There is no magical cure, no special potion when it comes to diabetes in particular and even on insulin it still comes down to matching it to the food you choose to eat, not a herbal pill.

M

Member496333

I don't really have a problem with anybody deciding to take some supplement or other in a bid to help themselves but I think it's pretty obvious that good old fashioned hard work wins in the end. There is no magical cure, no special potion when it comes to diabetes in particular and even on insulin it still comes down to matching it to the food you choose to eat, not a herbal pill.

I find the irony with these claims to be amusing. In many T2 cases - some might argue the majority - there actually is a miracle ‘cure’: real whole foods and an abstinence of carbohydrate. It sounds so simple, it could easily appear worded as a hocus pocas snake oil sales pitch, and yet for a great many of us, when the dust settles, it ultimately turns out to be pretty much that simple.

Or to put it another way for those less fortunate, I bet 10p that cutting out bread would have more effect on lowering the glucose burden in the body than this stuff, and it’s free.

Reactions: ert

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I’m honest, I’d rather every diabetic ditch liquid shakes etc and eat real food - low carb seems to have a better impact on health and wholesome nutrients. It’s far too expensive compared to real food.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Digitalis.
Cyanide found in almonds (hint, smell of bitter almonds).
Death cap (although fungi are held by some to be neither plant nor animal).
Nature is full of poisons manufactured by plants to prevent predation by animals.

It is therefore not logical that anything plant based is automatically good for animals.
Even something as innocuous as Birds Foot Trefoil is poisonous. It releases small amounts of cyanide when chewed and all parts of the plant are unsuitable for humans. Some plants just don't wantcha to eat 'em,

Reactions: ert

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Even something as innocuous as Birds Foot Trefoil is poisonous. It releases small amounts of cyanide when chewed and all parts of the plant are unsuitable for humans. Some plants just don't wantcha to eat 'em,
It's a legume/pea.... and we all know they can be... :nurse:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I copy this from the page since I can't share links.
Emulin™ is a patented blend of chlorogenic acid, myricetin, and quercetin that has shown efficacy in reducing midday and post–oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) area under the curve (AUC) glucose in streptozotocin-treated rats. The purpose of this study was to determine if similar effects would be evident in type 2 diabetic humans. Forty human subjects with confirmed type 2 diabetes (10 each in 4 groups: placebo/no medication, Emulin/no medication, placebo/metformin and Emulin/metformin) were evaluated. At the end of 1 week, fasting blood glucose, 2 h postprandial, actual peak glucose, and AUC (post–50 g OGTT) were determined. The placebo-only group had a large (5%–13%) increase in all parameters. The Emulin group and those on metformin performed similarly with reductions between 1% and 5%, with Emulin slightly outperforming the medication-alone group. The most significant reduction occurred in the Emulin/metformin group, with decreases in the parameters by up to 20%. These results suggest that Emulin, if consumed regularly, could not only have the acute effect of lowering the glycemic impact of foods, but chronically lower background blood glucose levels of type 2 diabetics.
If there is a way to sent you a message with links I can share that too....?
With only 10 people in each of the group's there is no way that any differences observed are statistically valid. Therefore no statements about efficacy can be made from this data. Yet another piece of pseudo-science.
Ask if your cousin can have a free sample or participate in a much larger trial. I look forward to the response!