What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If a dripping June puts everything in tune many of us should be hearing something very melodic. Food today was functional, what more does it need to be? Tea, naproxen and codeine for B. Soy milk latte after swimming for useless old losers. NE1 was avocado, egg and mackerel in EVO salad (leaves, celery and cucumber with a few cherry toms) with h/m mayo (0.5 rise) Had some cold infusion tea and dozed while Julie watched the new Mary Poppins:banghead: . NE2 was resurrected ox cheek thingy with lots of mushrooms.

Last edited:

Vidar

So how does this sound to you guys?

Breakfast: 3 Bratwurst Sausage and an egg fried in Olive oil and a mug of green tea.

Lunch: 6 oven baked chicken legs, drizzled in olive oil, salt, pepper and chilli powder seasoning.

Dinner: 2 home made bacon cheese burgers without the buns, with some roasted peppers, onions and mushrooms.

Going to have some greek yogurt, some berries and cream. My first dessert in almost 3 weeks.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at Patisserie Valerie: eggs Royale with mushrooms in place of the brioche and a black Americano.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: keralan chicken curry and cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Edited for typo

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
We used a plumber when ours blocked up, easier than using buckets of precious water all the time.
Ours isn't blocked, just disconnected from water supply while bathroom is refitted. Job is taking longer than expected.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Don't see why not. The cream was dated to 14/6 so it should be fine. It gives you a soft ish mousse but whipping the cream more would make it firmer.
Love the sound of that mousse, won't be able to make it though, because the French don't have double cream. :banghead:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love the sound of that mousse, won't be able to make it though, because the French don't have double cream. :banghead:

Skinny Lizzie, can't you use creme entiere? Have it really very cold and use a mixer to whip it. Whipping lon enough would likely do it?

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We had the same problem in Italy. I often wondered how the heck they made gelato. They must have speciality suppliers. We used a UHT cream. There was also a kind of cream in a carton with a plastic top. Took a while to whip as the fat content wasn't as high as double cream. Mascarpone with a bit powdered sweetener is also a not bad sub. I used to make cream in a cream maker in the Kenwood but they don't have it for the new model. It was just a combination of unsalted butter and whole milk.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Skinny Lizzie, can't you use creme entiere? Have it really very cold and use a mixer to whip it. Whipping lon enough would likely do it?
Creme entiere is 30% fat, think double cream is 50%+ Probably worth trying though - but not until electric mixer is unpacked. Maybe by next year? Christmas if all goes well?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
11-06-19
breakfast, homemade nutty museli. milk and 2 cups of tea
midmorning coffee
lunch ham salad and a peach, tea
afternoon cup of tea
dinner: vegetable and prawn stirfry, but this time with the rice mixed in, so quantity unknown. Did mix the leeks in after the rice and not evenly, took my meal from the leeky side. Had yoghurt and a peach after, still trying to make up enough calories, but after two hours BG is at 7.7
Testing again in an hour.
Calories about 1750, so far. Fat 132g, Carbs 93g, Protein only 38g. Difficult to make this higher as MrSlim is supposed to have a low protein diet. Am going to work on it, starting with breakfast tomorrow - eggs again most likely

Edited to add BG is now 6.6 and am having tea before bed. Blow the 465 extra calories. Am not hungry

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Well Montezuma’s and Hotel Chocolat do feature on the menu as we had a longer than expected lunch break during my meetings which provided enough of a window to visit both. Way too much chocolate consumed.

Aside from that breakfast was 2 small packets of nuts.

Lunch was a small tin of wild Alaskan salmon with mayonnaise and some of the delicious Lidl vintage cheddar.

Dinner was slow cooked oxtail.

And I am officially fitter than when I was at school - just sped up a hill that used to have me huffing and puffing!

@Chook it was Jerningham Road!

View attachment 33581

Doh! I was in Lidl today for cat litter (which incidentally split when I lifted the bag off the bagging area and made a right mess. V embarrassing) I knew there was something important I was going to look out for next time I was in there. That cheddar!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: scrambled eggs & smoked salmon CWC
L: Out at lovely cafe. Fresh mackerel and fennel salad CWC
D: Steak, asparagus, large mushroom, kimchi.
@maglil55 the cabbie’s day out for the children sounds really lovely. I think the London cabbies do a similar annual trip to Brighton.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On holiday in Cornwall so..
Breakfast: Bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, tomato, mushrooms.
Lunch: Bowl of Veg soup
Dinner: Moules starter. Chargrilled monkfish with green veg.
1 g&st. 2 glasses wine.

Your holiday food is sounding really good. Lots of lovely seafood.

Reactions: gennepher
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches. (must order more HB).
Dinner: Mutton chops, veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no sugar / sweeteners, water.

A box of Ninja Banana Prawns from last year.

P1ru22x.jpg

Viv19

We had the same problem in Italy. I often wondered how the heck they made gelato. They must have speciality suppliers. We used a UHT cream. There was also a kind of cream in a carton with a plastic top. Took a while to whip as the fat content wasn't as high as double cream. Mascarpone with a bit powdered sweetener is also a not bad sub. I used to make cream in a cream maker in the Kenwood but they don't have it for the new model. It was just a combination of unsalted butter and whole milk.

I had that attachment for my old Kenwood Maglil55. In a country where even the fresh milk was usually already sour when delivered, it was a magical thing. I think I only used the butter to make cream. Or perhaps with LL? It was a long time ago.
We don’t have double cream here either. Whipping cream at 30% fat, but good old double cream at 48% is definitely not available.
One dessert that I can no longer eat is pavlova heaped with whipped cream and fruit. But the family here still ask for it if I offer to bring a contribution to a birthday party or bbq. Usually two. The last one I made was on a hot day, so I tried some Carob bean seed flour (that’s a translation of Johannisbrotkernmeal, not sure if it’s right) in the whipped cream to thicken it slightly so that it held up until it was demolished. It worked very well, I don’t think anyone noticed any difference, except me knowing the cream was holding up better. Though I could see that even a little too much would not be a good thing. I used a little less than recommended on the jar to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

Viv19

I probably wouldn’t recommend the prawn, avo and sauerkraut combo! It was meant to be just prawns & avo but I was excited to have finally got the lid off the sauerkraut - I bought it months ago ( Mr C finally did it by clamping the jar by the lid upside down in his vice)
As for chocolate I’m not quite sure what happened yesterday! I’m not very happy with myself - those Hotel Chocolate 100% eggs are very moreish - they have dried fruit and nuts stuck on the inside so the occasional hit of sweetness in the very intense cocoa flavour. Far too addictive I will have to hide the others from myself when they arrive.

Thinking about the sauerkraut. The Germans eat it with either Kassler, a cured pork chop or a sausage of some description. Actually probably a thick gammon steak would work instead of kassler. The longer the sauerkraut is cooked, the milder it becomes.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinking about the sauerkraut. The Germans eat it with either Kassler, a cured pork chop or a sausage of some description. Actually probably a thick gammon steak would work instead of kassler. The longer the sauerkraut is cooked, the milder it becomes.

I first had it years ago with Wiener schnitzel when we visited Austria and remember liking it then, but I’d completely forgotten about it until recent reading about fermented foods etc.
I just ate it cold out of the jar - should it be warmed up? I really can’t remember whether it had been served hot or cold in Vienna ( but I remember the Sachertorte very well!)

Reactions: Viv19 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: scrambled eggs & smoked salmon CWC
L: Out at lovely cafe. Fresh mackerel and fennel salad CWC
D: Steak, asparagus, large mushroom, kimchi.
@maglil55 the cabbie’s day out for the children sounds really lovely. I think the London cabbies do a similar annual trip to Brighton.
They do. I think Liverpool does as well. They've been there my entire life and they have such fun. Cabbies do a great job of decorating their cabs and they issue the kids with these powerful water pistols to fire at the pedestrians. It's all taken in good humour. Local businesses do well chipping in like providing the picnic and Luca's giving 120 ice creams!