Do not want to lose weight

vhm

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am prediabetic due to having had to be on steroids for a long time. I am considering joining the low carb diet but I cannot afford to lose weight ( I am 54 kg). Most people on this diet seem to lose a lot of weight. Does anyone have some experience of this or advice? Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum @vhm. I’ll tag in a couple of members who eat a low carb diet and maintain their weight @Goonergal and @shelley262 . I’m still at the stage of having a bit to lose ;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Yes, there are some of us in your position. When you cut carbs you have to make up the missing calories with either fats or protein or both. There is no alternative. Finding the right balance can take a while, and a lot of patience. It is a good idea to keep a food diary including portion sizes, and weigh yourself regularly. The more carbs you cut, the more fats/protein you need to maintain your energy levels and your weight. It really is a fine balancing act, but once you find that balance, all will be well. I have maintained my ideal weight for over 4 and a half years. Use your blood glucose meter, your bathroom scales, and your food diary and you will get there.

Reactions: Rachox

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just consulted my edition of 'New Diet Revolution' to see if there was anything in there about low weight - and the first thing I see is that eating a highly nutritious low carb diet could cause weight gain. Dr Atkins obviously saw quite a few people during his time in practice - and he started off as a cardiologist.
Losing weight is obviously important for many - but it seems that low carb can correct more than being overweight.

vhm

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
thanks for your replies. I am still not sure about going on the low carb diet. Has anyone with prediabetes and low weight gone on the diet?

M

Member496333

I gained weight on low-carb/keto. When the body is able to effectively use leptin and grehlin it should reach its biological optimum using only appetite. If you’re eating the right foods then your appetite should be effective. You won’t just continue losing weight until there’s nothing left. Eat protein for body maintenance and fat to satiety, and nature should take care of the rest for you.

Worth remembering also that people these days have a different expectation of what normal weight is, because everyone around them is ballooning into middle age. Truly normal human body composition is now regarded as skinny or malnourished, when really it’s just that the majority are overweight because their appetite is controlled by the glucose/insulin seesaw instead of a properly functioning endocrine system.

In short, don’t worry about it. If you find yourself losing more than you really want, then you’ll be able to consume more fat and protein if you wish. Nature won’t let you wither away just because you’re not eating bread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d agree with the above. Just make sure you’re eating enough fat and protein and you won’t keep on losing weight. I did lose a lot of weight, but now I’m within normal range that just doesn’t happen - now it fluctuates up and down by 2 or 3 kg depending on what and how much I eat.

Getting your blood sugars under control is important so I’d encourage you to focus on that. You may also find you enjoy many of the other benefits of low carb - higher energy levels, mental clarity and so on.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Just my 2c worth. If you are on steroids like prednesalone, then a low carb diet is a smart option. Your pancreas is dealing with the job of responding to food and it's also dealing with the spiking effect of the steroid and a higher required output of insulin that is needed to keep levels down. This is a lot of work. I'd of hoped your doctor warned you about type 2 risk when taking these steroids?

The job of the pancreas becomes so much greater when starch or sugary foods are eaten along with a steroid. Has a dramatic effect on levels and insulin and not in a good way.

If you are a naturally lean person and always have been, then I'd try for a higher protein content more so then fat, eat your fats, but adding more protein to the diet would probably be more beneficial if you are a lean person. Lean people don't have the fat storage capability compared to people who do and gain weight easily. So, I just don't see a great deal of sense in focusing on eating a lot of fat if your body cannot store it. Steroids can cause muscle loss and weakness, so eating more protein I think is a way of counteracting that. This doesn't mean eat a low fat diet by any means, but protein will spare muscle loss and add weight if you eat enough. How much you need fluctuates from one person to the next, so testing levels in response to what you eat helps. Some activity helps, walking for example. I think the worst thing a person taking steroids can do is eat a meal and then sit for an hr or two, not avoidable sometimes, (work, weather or whatever)but even minor activity helps. Resistance training, weights, weight baring exercises etc do also help and I think are essential in preventing muscle loss.

Just my thoughts from someone who has taken steroids for a long period of time.

vhm

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Just my 2c worth. If you are on steroids like prednesalone, then a low carb diet is a smart option. Your pancreas is dealing with the job of responding to food and it's also dealing with the spiking effect of the steroid and a higher required output of insulin that is needed to keep levels down. This is a lot of work. I'd of hoped your doctor warned you about type 2 risk when taking these steroids?

The job of the pancreas becomes so much greater when starch or sugary foods are eaten along with a steroid. Has a dramatic effect on levels and insulin and not in a good way.

If you are a naturally lean person and always have been, then I'd try for a higher protein content more so then fat, eat your fats, but adding more protein to the diet would probably be more beneficial if you are a lean person. Lean people don't have the fat storage capability compared to people who do and gain weight easily. So, I just don't see a great deal of sense in focusing on eating a lot of fat if your body cannot store it. Steroids can cause muscle loss and weakness, so eating more protein I think is a way of counteracting that. This doesn't mean eat a low fat diet by any means, but protein will spare muscle loss and add weight if you eat enough. How much you need fluctuates from one person to the next, so testing levels in response to what you eat helps. Some activity helps, walking for example. I think the worst thing a person taking steroids can do is eat a meal and then sit for an hr or two, not avoidable sometimes, (work, weather or whatever)but even minor activity helps. Resistance training, weights, weight baring exercises etc do also help and I think are essential in preventing muscle loss.

Just my thoughts from someone who has taken steroids for a long period of time.
That is very helpful - thanks

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb doesn't have to equal weight loss, for me it's mainly been about glucose management. As already suggested you just need to get the fat balance right. But be aware you may lose some weight to start with though this will generally be from (retained) fluid, and not actual body fat.

I was very overweight and (intetionally!) lost a lot of weight initially when I went very low carb for a while, but since then on around 50g carbs a day it's been pretty stable - and even static for much of the time - and that's been over five years now.

Robbity

Reactions: Bluetit1802

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I have taken 2 steroids via oral and nasal inhaler for decades. I wonder how much an inhaled dose affects things?
I have lost significant weight (which needed to be gone!) with LC, in a big drop and two smaller ones. I seem to be maintaining now with a hypothetical BMI of under 20. I would like to build more muscle to fill the old lady bat wings that appeared! Working on that one.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Although I've lost weight, one of my friends has gained quite a bit of weight on keto. She said "Keto tends to make people less hungry. I don't eat because I'm hungry, I eat because I'm stressed."

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I eat low-carb, high-fat (or 'healthy fat'), and because I can't control my portion sizes, I struggle to keep my weight down these days.
Not ideal for me, but hopefully applicable in your case. I eat mainly eggs, almonds, meat and fish, green vegetables and cheese.
Low-carb/Keto, is a good way to lose weight, but if you just adjust the portion sizes, or take in more fat, it should also be a good way to gain weight while keeping your sugars down.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I go below 100 carbs/day, I lose weight which is something I have to avoid. I already look like a skeleton. To gain back to an acceptable level I have to add bread to every meal and consequently up my Novorapid by 2 units for each slice which stops the weight drop. I already have increased protein and fat hugely and that alone has no effect on my weight loss. Then when I'm a few pounds back up to 101 (I'm 5'4"), I drop off the bread and reduce my insulin.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to maintain my weight as I don’t need to lose any. I achieve this by upping my fat intake so choose fattier cuts of meat (usually cheaper!), eating nuts and having cream with my berries. It’s been quite easy in 20g carbs a day. Good luck.
Edited at add diner forget avocados! Great way of adding fat and calories.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
thanks for your replies. I am still not sure about going on the low carb diet. Has anyone with prediabetes and low weight gone on the diet?
The Diet as you call it varies from person to person. We are all different and respond to food in different ways so one person may need to cut carbs down to very low levels to achieve Blood Glucose control and/or weight loss. For others its a reduced carb diet with more fat and protein added to compensate. Its a fine balancing act, have been trying for nearly a year to halt weight loss, its slowed, but have not yet found my happy place. On the other side though BG levels are lower...and cholesterol levels as well.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
That is very helpful - thanks
What you say makes a lot of sense to me - Will be making an effort to increase protein. Eggs and avocado for breakfast again :greedy:
Just wish it wasn't so expensive.

vhm

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am having some problems with the high fat part of the low carb diet. Some of the meals end up making me feel sick as I have never been able to eat lots of fat. If I reduce the fat I expect I will lose weight that I don't want to lose. Does anyone have this problem?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you could hide the fat - try having scrambled eggs, pate, full fat yoghurt, baking with butter, foods where the fat is fully incorporated.