Blood sugar after dinner?

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How may points do your meter readings jump after dinner? Is 2 or 3 ok? What’s the maximum it can rise each time before you’re getting into troubled areas such as retinopathy, etc?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most people here cite a rise of no more than 2 at 2 hours after eating a meal but no higher than 8.5. People have different personal targets. Personally I prefer to see a rise of no more than 1.

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Most people here cite a rise of no more than 2 at 2 hours after eating a meal but no higher than 8.5. People have different personal targets. Personally I prefer to see a rise of no more than 1.

Thanks Rachox. How do you manage only a rise of 1? I’m lchf, trying to manage with no medication and still rise 2 or 3 with dinner. Do you eat just meat and salads? I made a keto courgette cake and that had no effect so am overjoyed. What else do people eat to rise only by 1?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You simply cannot measure or manage your expectations in terms of "1" or "2". FAR too many other factors come into play

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Stress for one and after all, the test is random ... watching the clock until the appointed time is another. An annoying phone call .... general frustrations.

I always go back to normal after two hours but that never means you ride that intervening "0 to 1" and "1 to 2" wave in equilibrium at the mid point. Only an idiot would suggest otherwise.

EDIT - I hasten to add that didn't refer to you

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Rachox. How do you manage only a rise of 1? I’m lchf, trying to manage with no medication and still rise 2 or 3 with dinner. Do you eat just meat and salads? I made a keto courgette cake and that had no effect so am overjoyed. What else do people eat to rise only by 1?
I carb count all my food. I keep to less than 10 for breakfast, around 10 for lunch and up to 20 for dinner.
If you’d like to give us some examples of what you have for dinner we may be able to tweak things for you. Also what was your latest HbA1c and what are your actual finger prick tests showing before and after dinner.
Just to add I do take Metformin too, although that contributes very little to my numbers.

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Stress for one and after all, the test is random ... watching the clock until the appointed time is another. An annoying phone call .... general frustrations.

I always go back to normal after two hours but that never means you ride that intervening "0 to 1" and "1 to 2" wave in equilibrium at the mid point. Only an idiot would suggest otherwise.

EDIT - I hasten to add that didn't refer to you

Haha! Thank goodness for your edit. Yes, stress can be a problem for me too, and lack of sleep. But I’m focusing on food right now and wondered what spikes people think are acceptable or safe. Or conversely how high a change is too high.

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I carb count all my food. I keep to less than 10 for breakfast, around 10 for lunch and up to 20 for dinner.
If you’d like to give us some examples of what you have for dinner we may be able to tweak things for you. Also what was your latest HbA1c and what are your actual finger prick tests showing before and after dinner.
Just to add I do take Metformin too, although that contributes very little to my numbers.

Thanks. Dinners can be: cold chicken thigh with lettuce and avocado salad. No dressing. Or zoodles bolognaise with cheese. Salmon burgers with broccoli and mayo. Everything is homemade. No packets or jars. Pre prandial finger pricks range from 4.5-5.2 and then post prandial can be up to 7.
If the Metformin contributes very little, may I ask why you take it? What are the benefits?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. Dinners can be: cold chicken thigh with lettuce and avocado salad. No dressing. Or zoodles bolognaise with cheese. Salmon burgers with broccoli and mayo. Everything is homemade. No packets or jars. Pre prandial finger pricks range from 4.5-5.2 and then post prandial can be up to 7.
If the Metformin contributes very little, may I ask why you take it? What are the benefits?
Mmm, your dinners sound OK, however your finger pricks of 5.2 to 7 is a rise of less than 2 so I think they are ok. What was your latest HbA1c?
Even though I have a non diabetic HbA1c I continue to take Metformin to help my weight loss, there are also other benefits, have a read here:
https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin/Page-01

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[
Your food sounds good so I would not worry about getting a 7 sometimes. Life is not predictable and day to day anything can affect our BG levels not just food so keep on doing what you are doing and try not to worry

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Haha! Thank goodness for your edit. Yes, stress can be a problem for me too, and lack of sleep. But I’m focusing on food right now and wondered what spikes people think are acceptable or safe. Or conversely how high a change is too high.

It's down to the start point @ShelleyDubs ... think of it as a rollercoaster. A rise of 3 plus at hour one would (for me) be a worry unless you can track it back to a different food.

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
[

Your food sounds good so I would not worry about getting a 7 sometimes. Life is not predictable and day to day anything can affect our BG levels not just food so keep on doing what you are doing and try not to worry

Thank you! I guess overthinking can be another symptom that comes with living with diabetes! It’s good to hear from others from time to time. Just for some reassurance as well as good advice.

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmm, your dinners sound OK, however your finger pricks of 5.2 to 7 is a rise of less than 2 so I think they are ok. What was your latest HbA1c?
Even though I have a non diabetic HbA1c I continue to take Metformin to help my weight loss, there are also other benefits, have a read here:
https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin/Page-01

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It has really helped me to a) not worry so much and b) not feel alone. Thanks for the link as well. I’ll have a look at that with interest.

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's down to the start point @ShelleyDubs ... think of it as a rollercoaster. A rise of 3 plus at hour one would (for me) be a worry unless you can track it back to a different food.

I hear you. Thank you for your advice and for taking the time. I do appreciate it.