rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Grrrr.
HbA1c gone from 40 to 42. No apparent reason. Good adherence to low carb. Could go lower still I suppose.
Need to have a long think, but this is the first measurable backwards step in my T2 experience.
Not a big backwards step but not one I can ignore. Feeling a bit downhearted and grumpy about it. Doctor wants me back on Metformin but I feel it's too early for that.
Harummph.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Grrrr.
HbA1c gone from 40 to 42. No apparent reason. Good adherence to low carb. Could go lower still I suppose.
Need to have a long think, but this is the first measurable backwards step in my T2 experience.
Not a big backwards step but not one I can ignore. Feeling a bit downhearted and grumpy about it. Doctor wants me back on Metformin but I feel it's too early for that.
Harummph.

Blasted annoying isn’t it. I feel your pain.

Reactions: rhubarb73

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Grrrr.
Harummph.

Rhubarb, whilst I feel your frustration, I would ask you to take a bit of a step back and think about it, maybe a little differently?

When I had my first repeat HbA1c, post diagnosis, I was rather astonished to see my score go from 73 to 37 in 4 months. Once I had recoverd my dropped jaw, I had a little chat with myself. My conclusion was that it is impractical for A1cs to drop, and drop every time, because there's probably only so low anyone can go, and still enjoy the life that wraps around any blood score, never mind the fact that illness, stress, and so on can impact in ways we can do absolutely nothing about.

On that basis, I decided I would have a range I would find acceptable. That range would be reviewed immediately after each A1c. In reality, these days, I never set a downward acceptable number, because I'm likely about there, but I always have an upper range. Provided I arrive within that range, I'm good to go.

There will always be "stuff" that puts flies in our metaphoric ointment. There'll be times when, given what else life is throwing our way, we just can't try or do any better.

Now, of course, if we also have a period where we know we've been a bit more slapdash than ideal, then that too might be time for a little self-talking to.

Please consider trying not to concentrate on a single number. I know it helped me relax enormously.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Grrrr.
Harummph.

I can understand you feeling downhearted and grumpy, but to be honest, there is very little difference. Labs round up and down to give a whole number. Your 40 could have been 40.5. Your 42 could be 41.5. I believe those results maybe within the expected error rate of HbA1c results. Try to look at it that way. I know it is difficult, because I have felt the same as yourself when mine has increased slightly. But without changing a thing, they dropped at the next test.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I understand your pain. My last HbA1c at 6.3% or 45 mmol/mol is averaging 7.3 mmol/l. It may be under the magical cutoff of 6.5% but it's way higher than a normal person. I'm worried that I'm still damaging myself. And I know the 3-monthly blood results I receive tomorrow will be worse.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really do not think that there is a significant difference between an A1C of 40 and 42. For all we know this probably within the labs measuring error I.e repeating the test on the same sample of blood would probably result in different outcomes reported within a range of plus or minus x mmol so that effectively a result of 40 or 42 could be indistinguishable

Reactions: 1spuds

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Grrrr.
Harummph.
GET SAD, GET ANGRY, GET CALM, GET A PLAN, GET IN CONTROL, GET BETTER

Reactions: Krystyna23040

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Rhubarb, whilst I feel your frustration, I would ask you to take a bit of a step back and think about it, maybe a little differently?

When I had my first repeat HbA1c, post diagnosis, I was rather astonished to see my score go from 73 to 37 in 4 months. Once I had recoverd my dropped jaw, I had a little chat with myself. My conclusion was that it is impractical for A1cs to drop, and drop every time, because there's probably on;y so low anyone can go, and still enjoy the life that wraps around any blood score, never mind the fact that illness, stress, and so on can impact in ways we can do absolutely nothing about.

On that basis, I decided I would have a range I would find acceptable. That range would be reviewed immediately after each A1c. In reality, these days, I never set a downward acceptable number, because I'm likely about there, but I always have an upper range. Provided I arrive within that range, I'm good to go.

There will always be "stuff" that puts flies in our metaphoric ointment. There'll be times when, given what else life is throwing our way, we just can't try or do any better.

Now, of course, if we also have a period where we know we've been a bit more sla=dash than ideal, then that too might be time for a little self-talking to.

Please consider trying not to concentrate on a single number. I know it helped me relax enormously.
Great advice for a young'un DCUK
well actually for an old'un like me as well.
Po

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All good advice thanks- my doc wants me back on Metformin. I am resisting.

With an HbA1c of 42, which is only just in the pre-diabetic range, I cannot understand why he wants you on medication. If it were your first ever HbA1c you wouldn't be prescribed it.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
With an HbA1c of 42, which is only just in the pre-diabetic range, I cannot understand why he wants you on medication. If it were your first ever HbA1c you wouldn't be prescribed it.
That’s what I told him

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Like everyone else has said, it's not that dramatic a shift at all and I would say you're doing **** well all things considered.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It's not that big of a difference!! I know you were hoping it would go down instead of up, but it happens. Change it for the next time!!!

But I also like to tell everyone that has been diagnosed as a type 2, that if they are doing everything right and their numbers continue to get worse, you could be a misdiagnosed type 1. It has happened to so many of us, just keep it in mind.

Reactions: Prem51

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may feel disappointing - but I'd agree that it's not a significant increase - so try to look on it as an achievement in keeping relatively stable instead! I believe our bodies can reach a preferred comfort range which may not necessarily be where we'd choose it to be. We aren't robots living in controlled laboratory conditions so I don't believe we can realistically expect perfect figures, or particularly ever decreasing ones.

I've bounced around between 40 and 43 for the last five+ years, with a couple of slightly higher blips due to health and stress issues beyond my control, and I'd only ever start to worry if I saw a trend in steadily increasing figures. (And my GP is happy with those figures and no more meds!)

Robbity

PS As for your GP wanting you back on metformin, give them a smack around the head with a wet kipper from all of us!

Reactions: Prem51 and 1spuds

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Grrrr.
Harummph.
Hey mate.. been out all day and just seen your post.. sorry to hear but hey its hardly a huge difference and I know you'll double down and get back to it.
Wonder if it might have something to do with the running? Maybe extreme exercise has pushed your average BG up a bit which has led to a higher HbA1c? Just a thought..

Reactions: rhubarb73