Caught speeding whilst having a hypo

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Dangerous driving .... so you means to tell me you’ve never had a blood sugar drop between 5.0 from just simply having a unit to much of insulin with a meal whilst driving ? You are seriously that perfect. I asked for some advice on the situation not to be told about about dangerous driving and as for driving in a hypo state what am I meant to do slam the breaks on in the middle of the road and just say no not driving must of drove for around 30-40 seconds before I pulled over don’t be so high and mighty next time mate thankyou very much for the pointless reply
Good afternoon
Firstly, the reply you received from 'urbanracer' was far from pointless. He was right on the money.
Perhaps you should tell the police why you were speeding, actually send them a copy of this thread and just let the matter resolve itself.
Whilst I was on insulin I drove 18,000 miles. I tested every two hours as required in law. I tested half an hour before driving and an hour and a half after that, then every two hours. I never felt any ill effects of hypo. However I would know what I had had to eat and what effect it would have on my numbers.

Stopping after you become aware is way way to late.
There is absolutely NO excuse for driving in the condition you do and putting your own and other road users lives in danger.

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think some on this thread are a tad self righteous... we all make mistakes sometimes. I drove tired today. So shoot me. :rolleyes:

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Perhaps you are having a bad time of things at the moment.
I was caught on the A14 doing 65 mph whilst overtaking a lorry... In my Caddy van. Vans are limited to 60mph on duel carriageways. Even if they look like a motorway and have three lanes or more.
I was jarred off all week. However I was still polite to people.

Last edited by a moderator:

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think some on this thread are a tad self righteous... we all make mistakes sometimes. I drove tired today. So shoot me. :rolleyes:
That may seem a harmless comment. However I just recently lost a friend because a driver fell asleep at the wheel and hit him head on killing him instantly.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That may seem a harmless comment. However I just recently lost a friend because a driver fell asleep at the wheel and hit him head on killing him instantly.
Yep, and I carefully kept to the speed limit only to be tailgated by some idiot who overtook me at a dangerous place, and doing way above the speed limit. I bet he thought he was fine to drive.

And I said I was tired, not so tired that I was falling asleep.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yep, and I carefully kept to the speed limit only to be tailgated by some idiot who overtook me at a dangerous place, and doing way above the speed limit. I bet he thought he was fine to drive.
Please do not get me started on drivers who use their phone whilst driving.
I was forced off the M1 by a trucker who was texting... I might have spelt that wrong!

Reactions: zand

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Discussing your speeding ticket with your GP might allow them to support your request for CGM
It might be troublesome because it is the GP that have to sign your part of the DVLA form to confirm you've not had any hypos. So speaking to the GP about your speeding ticket because of a hypo could potentially make matters worse? Plus it's only the consultant that can approve and support the patient to get a CGM on prescription. However a freestyle libre might not fit the need of alerts, unless consultants are approving libre 2 soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robinredbreast

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd also like to say for those who don't know - to get a CGM approved by your consultant and say you're hypo unaware, you'll get it but you'd lose your driver's license. Freestyle libre might be an easier option, give your take if your CCG is nice and your consultant approves it and you can add other gadgets like a miaomiao for a CGM function.