What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.3 FBG 7.2. just checked yesterday's macros and carbs were way too high for me. Surprised I was at 6.3 by bedtime. The rain has finally hit. Coming down in a torrent. Thankfully I only had to take the boys to school. Managed to get my hairdresser to come this afternoon as I was starting to look like Boris Johnson (pre his haircut!). Back to ash and a shorter cut now thankfully. Managed to get more tidying done without needing oxygen.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. 2 97% pork chipolatas, fried egg, 3 rashers crispy streaky bacon and 1 mushroom.
D. Made a Dr Almond pizza base and added chopped tomato with chilli and garlic, chopped up ham, 1 sliced mushroom, Morrisons 4 cheese mix and Italian herb mix. Couldn't finish it - way too much.
Yet more of the raspberry mousse with 6 raspberries. (It's finished now @Viv19. Not because it wouldn't last, my hairdresser ate the other portion!).
I'll add it to CMT. It occured to me today that this raspberry mousse would make a rather nice filling for a lemon sponge. Need to be firmer but either separate whipping of the cream or some leaf gelatin would sort that.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: gouda and chorizo rollitos followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: low carb cauliflower and brocolli cheese with mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A day of high bg levels again today, probably because I’m not walking enough at the moment. Won’t be rectifying that tomorrow either as I’m driving to Plymouth and back.
B: A Babybell and 6 walnuts. 3 mugs CWC over a couple of hours
Elevenses: peppermint tea with lovely @PenguinMum who is holidaying near to where I live. We had a great couple of hours chatting non stop.
L:DD breakfast sandwich
D: trying to find a meal which suited everyone’s tastes and needs including middle daughter’s IBS flare up ( thank you so much for advice re fodmaps @ianpspurs) and something reasonably nutritious for grandchildren who are staying over tonight. Decided on IP roast chicken with a variety of veg - something for everyone. Youngest child announced she is now a vegetarian ( apart from chicken and sweetcorn pie obviously!) so I just gave her a slice of cheese to have with her veg.
Raspberries with or without cream for pud.
4 x HC Easter Eggs arrived! Oh blimey! I’m going to hide them in the back of my wardrobe.

Viv19

I first had it years ago with Wiener schnitzel when we visited Austria and remember liking it then, but I’d completely forgotten about it until recent reading about fermented foods etc.
I just ate it cold out of the jar - should it be warmed up? I really can’t remember whether it had been served hot or cold in Vienna ( but I remember the Sachertorte very well!)

Sauerkraut is usually eaten warm/cooked. Fry onions, add sauerkraut, some stock (it’s nicer not too dry), pepper, some juniper berries. Cook 10-15 minutes

Viv19

If I can remember. We set off at 7am, with a traveling picnic. Hard boiled eggs, LC bread with Gouda, babybel, almonds, tea and water. Now on the ferry, had salad from the salad bar. Exactly what was missing.
A glass of white, sitting bra window ready for the off in 10 minutes. :))
OH had a couple of sausage rolls. I envied them but apparently they were not too good. He smothered them in ketchup and ate some of my olives.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

Very early breakfast at 6:30 am ish because driving. It was two slices of ham with cheese in. Half a coffee with cream

Then was tired by time driven in the rain to hospital appointment, so had two rashers bacon, one sausage, and couldn’t eat the solid as a rock inedible black pudding. Had a cappuccino. But it wasn’t very nice.

I was tired driving again in that torrential rain to meet a friend the totally opposite direction so I had two babybel cheeses, but not enough so had two glucose tablets. They perked me up.

We had lunch at 11:30 am which was chicken in a sauce, mixed veg, and chips. I had about 6 chips.

I usually only allow myself to eat in a six hour window, so my eating was finished rather early today because I had started early.

But I was tired driving home, I had driven nearly a hundred miles by now, so I had another two babybel cheeses on the way home.

Tea to drink
Water to drink, some with lemon, or pinch salt, or with bit tonic water in.

I think that is it. There was a bit of chocolate in that 6 hour window as well.

>^..^<

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sauerkraut is usually eaten warm/cooked. Fry onions, add sauerkraut, some stock (it’s nicer not too dry), pepper, some juniper berries. Cook 10-15 minutes

Thank you very much. I’ll give that a go, sounds delicious. The only juniper berries I’ve seen are the dried ones - will they be ok?

Reactions: Viv19 and ianpspurs

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Bit better food wise today.

Brunch was 3 rashers bacon, 2 fried eggs and some grated cheese at the cafe near work. Afternoon snack of 20g Tesco 85% chocolate. So much easier to moderate intake when the chocolate belongs to someone else.

Dinner was large portion of slow cooked lamb shoulder shanks. Then a dessert of 30g Montezumas 100% with orange and cocoa nibs almost melted in the microwave and mixed with double cream to form a mousse.

@DJC3 my eggs have not arrived yet. They’re being delivered to work, so will leave one there over the weekend to exercise some portion control.

@Viv19 congrats on the blood results.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Bit better food wise today.

Brunch was 3 rashers bacon, 2 fried eggs and some grated cheese at the cafe near work. Afternoon snack of 20g Tesco 85% chocolate. So much easier to moderate intake when the chocolate belongs to someone else.

Dinner was large portion of slow cooked lamb shoulder shanks. Then a dessert of 30g Montezumas 100% with orange and cocoa nibs almost melted in the microwave and mixed with double cream to form a mousse.

@DJC3 my eggs have not arrived yet. They’re being delivered to work, so will leave one there over the weekend to exercise some portion control.

@Viv19 congrats on the blood results.

Can I leave mine at your work too? They are already calling to me.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
12-06-19
breakfast: scrambled eggs with avocado, two cups of tea. Small piece of toast with peanut butter.
coffee with cream
Lunch: sunshine vegetable soup and small piece of bread, chunk of blue cheese and a peach. Tea. Carbs about 35g (BG rocketed to 8.8)
dinner: Green pepper, mushroom and tuna sauce with wholemeal pasta. Carefully counted out 20 penne. Served with carrots and leeks. BG after one hour 6.6, after 2 two hours its coming down @6.1 So very happy with that.
snacks this evening: olives, walnuts and a glass of wine
calories 2110, fat 136g, carbs 113g, protein 61g

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was wondering about lc ginger ale but I’m sure I’ve never seen it. I think we should ask @maglil55 if she would like a new project - maybe soda water fresh ginger and lemon juice would make an acceptable alternative?
Angostura used to be common - when old chaps drank pink gin but have only seen it occasionally in larger supermarkets recently. My dad used to drink tonic with angostura and a slither of lemon peel if he wanted a refreshing non alcoholic drink.
we have angastora and lime with tonic. or we used to :sour:

Last edited:
Reactions: gennepher and DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cheap fish and seafood to cook from frozen and, yes, Ely is relatively spiffing. I wouldn't send my enemy into the Huntingdon one.
Iceland is definitely going more upmarket. Their seafood selection is very good. They also sell some really rubbish food though.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Liquid lunch at the bowls club, a nice selection of cheese to chew on.
Dinner: Y bone steak and veggies, butter mushroom gravy.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlites.

Drinks: Black coffee, low carb beer, water.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on blood test results @Viv19. I see on the news Cornish donkeys have become mysteriously bereft of hind legs today - @DJC3 and @PenguinMum did you see anything which may help? So today was no B, tea and soya cocoa until NE1 or lunch. That was mackerel and avocado salad with acv and EVO vinaigrette. The taste of the vinaigrette has always been a favourite even pre LC - can't think of any other LC flavour that comes close for me. NE2 was short rib casserole/stew thingy - functional but well below the salad in enjoyment. Only had red meat 2 days running because a visitor was staying over.
@DJC3 glad the fodmap information was helpful. Good to know I/we have a clue about one way of eating because this remains a mystery.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
see on the news Cornish donkeys have become mysteriously bereft of hind legs today - @DJC3 and @PenguinMum did you see anything which may help?
Afraid not, didnt notice a thing!
Good luck at the dentist. Its not as bad as it used to be except for the hygienests who all seem intent on maxing out on the scraping tools. Just think of your dentist on his next luxury holiday.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterdays food is a bit repetitive of days of yore
Breakfast: scrambled eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes. Tea. The only complaint is I have yet to have a decent cup of tea here. Hardly worth mentioning in the grand scheme of things.
Lunch: 50g packet of peanuts, water.
Dinner: Ordered “lightly battered squid” but when it came it was more batter than squid so I pushed it away. Then tucked into a large pot of Moules with one or two of husbands chips. The obligatory G&ST was had and glass of wine
Slept sound.