Type 2 Tingling fingers

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Since moving onto low carb eating (surely a coincidence) I started experiencing tingling in my fingertips and my lips (although the lip issue has resolved now). What I find puzzling is that when I first wake up in the morning my fingers are fine its only after I am up and around that my fingertips start to tingle and will continue to tingle throughout the day. Not sure if could be neuropathy or something else? Some deficit in nutrients for example I am hoping someone might have experienced similar and may have some idea as to what this might be? I also have mild stenosis and my symptoms could just as easily be the result of bad posture irritating my neck. Not sure if I should make a docs about the finger tingling as will be having a diabetic review mid July. However this will probably be with the diabetic nurse rather than the doc.

Ronnie_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Since moving onto low carb eating (surely a coincidence) I started experiencing tingling in my fingertips and my lips (although the lip issue has resolved now). What I find puzzling is that when I first wake up in the morning my fingers are fine its only after I am up and around that my fingertips start to tingle and will continue to tingle throughout the day. Not sure if could be neuropathy or something else? Some deficit in nutrients for example I am hoping someone might have experienced similar and may have some idea as to what this might be? I also have mild stenosis and my symptoms could just as easily be the result of bad posture irritating my neck. Not sure if I should make a docs about the finger tingling as will be having a diabetic review mid July. However this will probably be with the diabetic nurse rather than the doc.

I’m having same tingling in hands, feet, lips. Will be interested to hear responses.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m having same tingling in hands, feet, lips. Will be interested to hear responses.
Hi Ronnie_dog, looks like we are on our own with this. Interested to know if you, like me feel as if your fingertips have been in water too long? I had googled tingling fingers and toes and found a lot of information with options such as neuropathy, hypoglycemia or low mineral levels (there are other reasons which are not relevant) Google cites deficiency in either magnesium, potassium, calcium, sodium, phosphate and /or Vitamin D can cause these kinds of symptoms.

I don't think it can hypoglycemia, as I experience no other associated symptoms and I am not on meds. It still can be neuropathy which I know nothing about but I think other people would have contributed to this thread if these were usual symptoms of neuropathy. That leaves the low mineral scenario or low Vit D as options. I do try to make sure that I have foods which are high in magnesium and potassium and sometimes take supplements as well so I think I am ok here. I think my calves would tell me if I was lacking in Potassium (I used to get "charley horses") I'm not sure about sodium though. I was dinking a lot when I first went low carb. I was also being quite liberal with the salt because of sodium loss through dehydration (as advised to from these forums) however I am no longer drinking as much so maybe this is an area to look at.

As regards calcium, I don't know where I stand with this but currently am having plenty of diary so I think I should be ok. Vitamin D and phosphates I just don't know. I need to arrange a Hba1c test for my Diabetic review due mid July I guess I will mention this issue in the hope that the DN does not immediately see Diabetes so must be neuropathy.

As I am answering this post and mentioned to you that my fingers are "pruney" I just decided to google this option. What it states is that could be a sign of diabetes (if they peel which mine do not) or dehydration or thyroid (my thyroid checked out ok in last Hba1c so don't think it can be that) Here is the link http://www.etopical.com/wrinkled-fingertips-causes-symptoms-treatment-pruney/

So I think I am going to try drinking a lot more liquid over the next few days to see if that makes a difference.

Reactions: 1spuds

Ronnie_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ronnie_dog, looks like we are on our own with this. Interested to know if you, like me feel as if your fingertips have been in water too long? I had googled tingling fingers and toes and found a lot of information with options such as neuropathy, hypoglycemia or low mineral levels (there are other reasons which are not relevant) Google cites deficiency in either magnesium, potassium, calcium, sodium, phosphate and /or Vitamin D can cause these kinds of symptoms.

I don't think it can hypoglycemia, as I experience no other associated symptoms and I am not on meds. It still can be neuropathy which I know nothing about but I think other people would have contributed to this thread if these were usual symptoms of neuropathy. That leaves the low mineral scenario or low Vit D as options. I do try to make sure that I have foods which are high in magnesium and potassium and sometimes take supplements as well so I think I am ok here. I think my calves would tell me if I was lacking in Potassium (I used to get "charley horses") I'm not sure about sodium though. I was dinking a lot when I first went low carb. I was also being quite liberal with the salt because of sodium loss through dehydration (as advised to from these forums) however I am no longer drinking as much so maybe this is an area to look at.

As regards calcium, I don't know where I stand with this but currently am having plenty of diary so I think I should be ok. Vitamin D and phosphates I just don't know. I need to arrange a Hba1c test for my Diabetic review due mid July I guess I will mention this issue in the hope that the DN does not immediately see Diabetes so must be neuropathy.

As I am answering this post and mentioned to you that my fingers are "pruney" I just decided to google this option. What it states is that could be a sign of diabetes (if they peel which mine do not) or dehydration or thyroid (my thyroid checked out ok in last Hba1c so don't think it can be that) Here is the link http://www.etopical.com/wrinkled-fingertips-causes-symptoms-treatment-pruney/

So I think I am going to try drinking a lot more liquid over the next few days to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the info. I take magnesium and vit d .
My fingers aren’t pruney.
I’ll discuss it with my dn and if I get more info I’ll let you know.
Quite surprised no one else has commented.
Talk soon

Homer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am diabetic since the year 2000, I also suffered with sensations (numbness and tingling) between finger and thumb on my left hand, I put it down to diabetes and the sensation seemed to get better.
3 months ago I noticed severe weakening of my tricep in my left arm with other unexplained weakness in my legs etc., 1 month ago I was successfully operated on (cervical stenosis of the spine), It is all too easy to blame everything on diabetes, please keep a close eye on your stenosis, and your blood sugars of course.

Homer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ryhopian - just re-read your post, do you think that the moving about is a clue, i.e. your spinal cord getting irritated, just a thought.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am diabetic since the year 2000, I also suffered with sensations (numbness and tingling) between finger and thumb on my left hand, I put it down to diabetes and the sensation seemed to get better.
3 months ago I noticed severe weakening of my tricep in my left arm with other unexplained weakness in my legs etc., 1 month ago I was successfully operated on (cervical stenosis of the spine), It is all too easy to blame everything on diabetes, please keep a close eye on your stenosis, and your blood sugars of course.

I was offered an op for my stenosis three/four years ago; I was referred for numbness in my arms and the ground was coming up to meet me when I was walking. During the consultation it was found I could not walk in a straight line. Doc just laughed when I was trying to blame the fact that I had heels on that day. Rather than the op I opted for physio which helped a great deal and loosened things up. I still don't walk in straight lines but I don't really get pain either unless I have stressed my neck. The offer of the op has remained on the table so your operation is of great interest to me. I hope I am able to ask bearing in mind this is a diabetes forum, how your op went? Did they fuse your spine? And are you satisfied with the results?

Also could the tingling you are feeling be related to nerves that have been previously crushed only just coming back to feeling?

Ryhopian - just re-read your post, do you think that the moving about is a clue, i.e. your spinal cord getting irritated, just a thought.

That was why I initiated this thread as I was unsure if it was something I was missing in my diet or if it is my neck. I have experienced numbness in my fingers if my neck has been irritated but not in the same way. That said, since my diabetes diagnosis in Feb, I can't keep away from this forum. I am on my laptop a few hours a day which causes me to look down at lot. I don't want to miss coming to this forum as I look upon it as a life line if not a life saver I would be so depressed being diabetic otherwise.

I have reduced my liquid intake over the last few weeks because I became sensitive to decaf tea and coffee (ectopic heartbeat) so I will uplift it again to see if this makes a difference, if it doesn't, its probably a visit to the docs.

Thanks for responding.

Homer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Early days (op was 5 weeks ago), no problems with the op and i would say the op has been a success but it is not a cure for damage already done (some recovery will occur), I didn't realise how bad I was until after the op. Symptoms creep up on you and I put them down to diabetes and old age, the reason for choosing to have the op was that the MRI showed that the herniated disc was totally enclosing my spinal cord. The only advice I can give is to make sure that its not your spine causing you the problems.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Early days (op was 5 weeks ago), no problems with the op and i would say the op has been a success but it is not a cure for damage already done (some recovery will occur), I didn't realise how bad I was until after the op. Symptoms creep up on you and I put them down to diabetes and old age, the reason for choosing to have the op was that the MRI showed that the herniated disc was totally enclosing my spinal cord. The only advice I can give is to make sure that its not your spine causing you the problems.
Will do, take care and I hope your spine continues to improve greatly.

If it works out that my issue is dehydration causing the tingling, I will post an update.