Type 2 Pizza

Diabetesdave1

Hi there iv just recently been diagnosed type 2 diabetes and on the whole iv been in my opinion quite good.Iv reduced the carbs knocked the sugar on the head and even started the gym , but yesterday night I cracked I eat a huge pizza and it was absolutely fantastic, 2 hours afterwards I checked my blood sugar and it was a whopping 14.2 mmol. I went to bed feeling a bit annoyed with myself but thinking I have to make amends for this the next day.I checked my sugar level next morning And to my surprise I was down to 5.3mmol a lot lower then I normally am in the morning and even done a 2nd check which confirmed this .How can this be?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I guess it's because your pancreas has been working all night trying to clear all that glucose. I would give the poor thing a rest now and have a really low carb breakfast.

Reactions: Diabetesdave1

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I'd assume your body is producing insulin and is taken care of by your diet changes. Tbh from 14.2 to 5.3, your body did take a while to bring that down. I wouldn't be surprised if my BG was 14.2 after a pizza and this is coming from a type1. You can still have pizza, but exchange the pizza dough for something else - cauliflower pizza is just as good.

Diabetesdave1

Maybe I’m not looking at this right but why has my pancreas lowered my sugar level lower then another day when its had a lot less work to do . I would have expected on a day with low sugar and little carbs a lower reading

Diabetesdave1

The 14.3 reading was two hours after a meal I took my next test about 7 hours later which was 5.3 but I’m not sure wether it took 7 hours to get there or not .i wish I had got up in the middle of the night and checked

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well i guess you know its more or less down to diffs between t1d and t2d.
Types 1 after a pizza would a high blood sugar and have to take extra insulin to get it back to normal
Types 2 pancreas still functions producing basal insulin levels until glucose rises from a carb load. However while insulin ( i think, its a long time since i looked at this stuff) transports glucose from the blood to cell surface insulin receptors, defects in an ancillary cell surface protein expression, Cd36, are thought to account for impaired insulin receptor sensitivity to glucose metabolism through alterations in internal cell signalling causing insulin resistance recent studies have shown ( http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/67/7/1272).
Whats intetesting about all that is the reversability of type 2 diabetes with restoration of a optimal bmi weight. I dont know if such reversal is a universal possibility, but if so it suggests a stored fat sensitivity by cd36, potentially to stop the body puttting on more weight ( no reference to yourself), although thats my speculation. If its not a universal possibility that bmi recovery reverses t2d, its suggests more than one mechanism operates to cause t2d. This may be well known already. T2d was never really my area being a t1d.

Your situation with insulin production and correction of hyperglycaemia suggests functional insulin receptor clearance if glucose and by inference functional cd36 suggesting more than one mechanism.

Ps if half your plate was full of nice salad, you'd eat half as much pizza :).
Nice salads
Thinly sliced fennel, hard goats cheese shavibgs ( sainbroids) , parsley. Tbspn pomegranite seeds. Bit of crusty bread and butter. Table spn olive oil, tspn vingar. Salt and pepper. Glass white wine.

Or
Rocket
A few broken up tinned anchovies
Black olives
Dressed as previous salad
Boiled egg cut in 1/4s or 1/6ths

Or
Lettuce
Blue cheese bits
Sliced apple/ pear/ quincechopped a little1 clove crushed and chopped garlic
Tbspn hair thinly sliced onion
Parsley - flat sort has more flavour
Usual dressing

Or
Ripe tomatoes roughly chopped
Orange, peeled and sliced into disks
Tbspn washed chopped a lityle fresh mint leaves
Tbspn toasted pine nut
Usual dressing although i pressure to use cider than wine vinegar with this one.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Diabetesdave1

People often report that the (occasional) carby evening meal results in lower fasting blood glucose readings the next morning.
I have experienced it myself.
Something to do with the pancreas having to work harder and producing more insulin than it is used to.
But what usually happens is that people think 'hey! I got away with that! I do that more often...'
and slowly and insidiously, their FBGs start to rise over time.

The surprise lower FBG reading look good though, doesn't it? Seems like a good thing (if you ignore the fact that it is preceded/caused by much higher numbers the night before).
But really... it isn't.
By surprising your pancreas with an unexpected load of carbs, and making it flog itself to bring the glucose down, you are causing beta cell damage (it is the beta cells that produce the insulin, and once they wear out, which they can eventually do, then injected insulin will be needed to manage blood glucose). There is plenty of info on this on the www.bloodsugar101.com website.

As for pizza... have a google for 'pizza effect diabetes' and you will see that it is hard for the body to maintain stable blood glucose in the hours after the magic pizza combo of carbs, protein and fat. Very hard. Often the raised blood glucose continues far longer than it does for a normal meal, and may rise and drop in waves. Type 1s can compensate for this using several bolus insulin injections. Diet controlled type 2s can't.

There is really nothing to say that your reading of 14 at 2hrs was anything like the peak.

Here in the B household, pizza is definitely on the menu, but we don't buy the carb loaded ones. We make 'em. And it is amazingly easy! If you google Fathead Pizza recipe, you will find a delicious low carb version that I think is nicer than any wheat dough pizza I have ever tasted. Alternatively, something like Lo-dough will make a very quick, very easy pizza base.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I agree with the others. Your pancreas worked jolly hard to bring those levels down and will have over-produced insulin in order to do this. That insulin will still have been swishing about in the morning. None of this will have done your body any good at all I'm afraid.