lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi all.

Well after having it confirmed for a second time that im a type 2 diabetic, I have now been put onto metformin. I have to start on 1 tablet a day building it up over 2 months until I am on 4 tablets a day.

My insulin has been changed from novarapid to fiasp and from levemier to troujo I think it's called. Currently still waiting for the troujo as my pharmacist hasn't been able to order it in. (But that's another story)

I started metformin last night. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of taking this alongside insulin and if so how long before they noticed a difference? I'm wanting to do low carb but I'm worried about lowering the carbs incase metformin suddenly kicks in, if that makes sense.

Thankyou in advance x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Well after having it confirmed for a second time that im a type 2 diabetic, I have now been put onto metformin. I have to start on 1 tablet a day building it up over 2 months until I am on 4 tablets a day.

My insulin has been changed from novarapid to fiasp and from levemier to troujo I think it's called. Currently still waiting for the troujo as my pharmacist hasn't been able to order it in. (But that's another story)

I started metformin last night. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of taking this alongside insulin and if so how long before they noticed a difference? I'm wanting to do low carb but I'm worried about lowering the carbs incase metformin suddenly kicks in, if that makes sense.

Thankyou in advance x

Lcarter, metformin isn't a drug that lowers blood glucose dramtically for most who take it. For most, at the highet level, it just makes everything work a bit better. It improves insulin sensitivity a bit (or if you prefer decreases natural insulin resistance a bit).

For those taking it near the start of their T2 journey, they are often concerned that it doesn't lower their blood glucose scores enough, but the tough reality is that for most T2s dietary interventions are usually required to minimise meds. As you are already taking insulin, your order of play, so to speak, could differ.

All I would say from observation, as I have never taken metformin or insulin, would be to ensure you are testing very regularly so that you can begin to build up ap picture of what Metformin might, or might nit be doing for you.

Finally, Metformin works on a therapeutic dose basis, so for most people it takes a little while (individually variable) to do it's job. It is usually started at a lower dose and stepped up periodically as starting on too high a dose increases the chances of tummy issues.

I'm sure others will want to comment when they get online.

Reactions: lcarter
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all.

Thankyou in advance x

From posts on this forum, Metformin can cause stomach/bowel upset's, so some member's often go onto SR Metforim, slow release.
Take care of yourself.

PeterHud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on insulin and just started on SR Metformin on Monday ... I was a T1 but now they say I am a T2.

I haven't noticed any side effects and my readings are what they were before taking them although DN has lowered my insulin ... Taking just the 1 tablet.

tizzy

Hi can I ask in general as there seems to be a few of us changed to type 2 ,how it came about ,I was having a blood test to go on the libre just wondering or am I being paranoid Tizzy

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi can I ask in general as there seems to be a few of us changed to type 2 ,how it came about ,I was having a blood test to go on the libre just wondering or am I being paranoid Tizzy
Yes, I was wondering the same. I have the opposite problem.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As others have said, Metformin only ever has small effect and when taken with insulin only changes the blood sugar by perhaps 1mmol with a certain insulin amount. Don't worry about the Metformin 'kicking in' as it's effect is small in comparison with the insulin. BTW note that Fiasp works much faster than NovoRapid so don't inject before a meal and then have long delay before eating.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would also like to know how your diagnosis changed from Type 1 to Type 2. Did they discover from a test that you were making enough insulin on your own afterall? Did the activity of your pancreas change from your earlier diagnosis of Type 1?

Reactions: lcarter and Dodo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would also like to know how your diagnosis changed from Type 1 to Type 2. Did they discover from a test that you were making enough insulin on your own afterall? Did the activity of your pancreas change from your earlier diagnosis of Type 1?

Jat, if you go to @lcarter 's profile, then in Postings, at the bottom, click on Find all Threads by lcarter, you're find threads relating to this journey through re-diagnosis.

Sorry lcarter, not trying to speak fr you, but provide a solution that doen't involve you writing reams, unless you want to, of course.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jat, if you go to @lcarter 's profile, then in Postings, at the bottom, click on Find all Threads by lcarter, you're find threads relating to this journey through re-diagnosis.

Sorry lcarter, not trying to speak fr you, but provide a solution that doen't involve you writing reams, unless you want to, of course.
Thank you very much !

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I am on insulin and just started on SR Metformin on Monday ... I was a T1 but now they say I am a T2.

I haven't noticed any side effects and my readings are what they were before taking them although DN has lowered my insulin ... Taking just the 1 tablet.
Wow, same thing is happening to me. Theyve put me on the 1 tablet to increase it every 2 weeks by another until I am on 4 a day.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I questioned why I never have ketones no matter how high I am. They did a c peptide blood test, then a urine analysis and said my insulin production was very high. They now think I'm type 2 with insulin resistance.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas

Thank you so much, I was wondering what I could do to explain rather than go through it all again. Thanks so much.

Reactions: DCUKMod