Your thoughts on my diet

MasiJan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello guys,

Since I've been diagnosed with prediabetes (fasting blood sugar level of 6.1), I pay attention to what I eat and what I don't eat. For breakfast I eat mostly cheese with few almonds or some eggs. I only drink water, black coffee and tea (without sugar or honey). Once every three weeks I drink diet cola. Obviously I cut candy, chocolate, chips, cookies, ice cream, bread, rice, pasta, porridge, rice and most fruits out of my diet. I made a routine regarding supper.

On Mondays: for supper I eat broccoli or green beans with fish and salad (the salad contains spinachs, lettuces, cucumbers, tomatoes, paprika and coriander).

On Tuesdays: for supper I eat baked aubergines with yoghurt.

On Wednesdays: for supper I eat shurwa (Afghan soup, it contains beef, olive oil, tomatoes, spinaches, bit of salt and coriander). The original recipe is with carrots, potatoes and chick peas, but I cut those out for obvious reasons.

On Thursdays: for supper I eat omelettes (sometimes with coriander) and salad.

On Fridays: for supper I eat fish with green beans or broccoli and yoghurt.

On Saturdays: for supper I eat baked eggs (sometimes with coriander) and salad.

On Sundays: for supper I eat oven baked chicken and salad.

Currently I don't have a blood glucose meter, but do you think my routine is healthy from a (pre)diabetic point of view?

And I also have 2 other questions. Is there alternative for bread? Can I eat few strawberries once a week?

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It certainly appears very low carb and as such if you maintain it there’s not a huge amount of additional changes to be made. There doesn’t seem to be much fat there to replace the carbs for energy and satiety. I would think it’s quite possible you are in ketosis and as such burning fat for energy. Do you have excess body fat to be used? Are you hungry?

There are keto bread alternatives you can bake (many recipes online), none that I personally find a good alternative and too much hassle if I’m honest. A few strawberries now and again are fine, as are raspberries and blueberries.

Reactions: MasiJan

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It looks very healthy to me, as long as you are feeling well on it. Yes, you can eat a few strawberries a few times a week (or raspberries), delicious with double cream or a full fat plain yogurt.

Are you going to buy a meter? It will help you decide whether your food choices are good, bad, or indifferent.

MasiJan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It certainly appears very low carb and as such if you maintain it there’s not a huge amount of additional changes to be made. There doesn’t seem to be much fat there to replace the carbs for energy and satiety. I would think it’s quite possible you are in ketosis and as such burning fat for energy. Do you have excess body fat to be used? Are you hungry?

There are keto bread alternatives you can bake (many recipes online), none that I personally find a good alternative and too much hassle if I’m honest. A few strawberries now and again are fine, as are raspberries and blueberries.
Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it.

I don't have excess body fat and I'm not always that hungry, just decent, I guess.

I only struggle with breakfast, because before my diagnosis, I used to eat a lot of breakfast that would include bread. I experience some sort of 'bread-anxiety' now.

MasiJan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It looks very healthy to me, as long as you are feeling well on it. Yes, you can eat a few strawberries a few times a week (or raspberries), delicious with double cream or a full fat plain yogurt.

Are you going to buy a meter? It will help you decide whether your food choices are good, bad, or indifferent.
I plan to buy one, but I'm still not sure which one is the most accurate one.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it.

I don't have excess body fat and I'm not always that hungry, just decent, I guess.

I only struggle with breakfast, because before my diagnosis, I used to eat a lot of breakfast that would include bread. I experience some sort of 'bread-anxiety' now.
You could try adding meats or leftovers (or just more eggs cream and cheese) for breakfast

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I plan to buy one, but I'm still not sure which one is the most accurate one.
None are perfect, they all have a tolerated error margin. It’s the overall picture and trends as opposed to decimal places that matter. Cost of strips is probably the biggest consideration

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think I can eat slices of cheese with salami for breakfast?

A meter will tell you for sure! With meters, it isn't the cost of the meter that matters. You only need one. However you need many thousands of test strips, and these are when the cost mounts up. The price varies between around £8 for 50 and £30 for 50.

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2+ because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.
Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2+ is here
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

As you don't have a diabetes diagnosis you will have to pay the VAT I'm afraid.

As for bread, I also have a "bread anxiety" so I understand where you are coming from. There are several low carb breads available in supermarkets.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. That diet sounds great. Yes, do get a meter and the Codefree is very popular and low cost overall.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello guys,

Since I've been diagnosed with prediabetes (fasting blood sugar level of 6.1), I pay attention to what I eat and what I don't eat. For breakfast I eat mostly cheese with few almonds or some eggs. I only drink water, black coffee and tea (without sugar or honey). Once every three weeks I drink diet cola. Obviously I cut candy, chocolate, chips, cookies, ice cream, bread, rice, pasta, porridge, rice and most fruits out of my diet. I made a routine regarding supper.

On Mondays: for supper I eat broccoli or green beans with fish and salad (the salad contains spinachs, lettuces, cucumbers, tomatoes, paprika and coriander).

On Tuesdays: for supper I eat baked aubergines with yoghurt.

On Wednesdays: for supper I eat shurwa (Afghan soup, it contains beef, olive oil, tomatoes, spinaches, bit of salt and coriander). The original recipe is with carrots, potatoes and chick peas, but I cut those out for obvious reasons.

On Thursdays: for supper I eat omelettes (sometimes with coriander) and salad.

On Fridays: for supper I eat fish with green beans or broccoli and yoghurt.

On Saturdays: for supper I eat baked eggs (sometimes with coriander) and salad.

On Sundays: for supper I eat oven baked chicken and salad.

Currently I don't have a blood glucose meter, but do you think my routine is healthy from a (pre)diabetic point of view?

And I also have 2 other questions. Is there alternative for bread? Can I eat few strawberries once a week?
Hi. This looks like a balanced low carb diet too me (interested in but not qualified as a dietician). I really hope you are enjoying eating this way. I know how much I still miss bread and to be honest, I don't find substitutes helpful as it just makes me crave those 'vehicle' foods (bread, crackers). Stawberries have loads of vitamin C and are low in sugar, however if you are finding yourself doing fridge 'fly pasts' that could spike your sugars.
As you've identified, you need a meter to know what is going on.
The only tweak I would suggest is eat more oily fish (twice a week to increase omega 3) and check Vitamin D status especially if you're darker skinned (oily fish also contains vitamin D but hopefully you are getting enough sun, yoghurt, eggs and cheese too). The only super food I can see that you are missing is liver so can you work pate into the mix too?

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Masijan,

your diet looks great! :happy:

I'm low carb as well and bread was the hardest thing to cut out for me. And then I found a delicious low carb bread with lots of seeds and fibers. It has 6,1g of carbs/2,4g of sugar per 100g and per slice it is 2,4g of carbs/1g of sugar. I don't eat it every day but I sure love it when I do. I buy it at my german Aldi Süd so I don't know if you are near one. But you should be able to find something similar.
Do you like "cereal" for breakfast? I love to eat a soy-coconut yoghurt (2,3g/2,1g) or a soy skyr (no carbs/sugar at all!) with chopped up nuts, coconut and vanilla and sometimes some strawberries for breakfast. It feels like yoghurt and cereals.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Adding one more to the it looks good to me group and I know how you feel about bread, don't know just how much you ate till you come off of it! Keep up the good work though @MasiJan and it's always best to have a monitor handy.