Hb1c

andy79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am currently waiting for an operation and attended my pre op assessment on Monday where I had blood tests. The nurse said to me as long as my hb1ac was below 68 they would proceed with the op...today they phoned to say my op was cancelled due to the result being 107...any tips and help would be appreciated so I can get this to the level required...thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am currently waiting for an operation and attended my pre op assessment on Monday where I had blood tests. The nurse said to me as long as my hb1ac was below 68 they would proceed with the op...today they phoned to say my op was cancelled due to the result being 107...any tips and help would be appreciated so I can get this to the level required...thanks
Cut carbs. Do you have any idea when the op can be resceduled? You can get your numbers down quite fast, but the HbA1C is an average of 3 months... If you get perfect bloodsugars, it'll take a little while for them to show up in the HbA1c. In any case, if you want to get your bloodsugars down, cutting carbs is usually the answer. No bread, pasta, spuds, rice, corn, cereal, fruit (except for maybe a few berries). Stick with meat, fish, poultry, above-ground veggies/leafy greens, eggs, clotted cream, double cream, full fat greek yoghurt, cheese, olives, extra dark chocolate (85% or more), that sort of thing. It's a little more detailed here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ , over on Dietdoctor.com and in Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code.

It does sound a little like the HbA1c was a surprise to you. Did you know you were diabetic, or was this an out-of-the-blue diagnosis? Are you on any bloodglucose-lowering medication, because cutting carbs will make your bloodsugars drop like a stone, and I wouldn't want you to hypo. Metformin is fine, but gliclazide and the like could be problematic.
Welcome to the forum, hope we'll be able to help!
Jo

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Andy79,
I would add to the list of JoKalsbeek's DON'T EATs - any root vegetables - especially carrots since they are the sweetest veg of that we eat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@andy79 As you posted in the type 2 forum, I assume you are a diagnosed Type 2. Can you tell us which medications you are taking for diabetes (if any)? This may turn out to be important for answering appropriately.

(It would help enormously if you could complete your profile settings to say which type of diabetes you have, your treatment and medication. If you are using the app you will have to log in to the website on your browser.)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Andy79,
I would add to the list of JoKalsbeek's DON'T EATs - any root vegetables - especially carrots since they are the sweetest veg of that we eat.

This is why we say one size does not fit all and testing is so important. I can eat carrots without any problem.

ShortStuff

For me, low carbing drops my levels very fast.

If I walk as well it definitely helps my BGL’s.

Do you have a BGL meter?

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Low carb is definitely the way forward and walk as much as you can too as exercise will usually lower your BG. You will need to up your fat consumption to provide energy. Avoid processed fats. Test your BG regularly to establish which foods to each and which to avoid. You should see a big drop in your HBA1C within a couple of months. And boy, will you feel better;)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Andy, I see you are on insulin, so will just offer my good wishes. There are other type 2's on insulin who will hopefully be able to advise you. I do know that you have to be careful about hypos if adjusting your food.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@andy79 do you carb count and adjust your insulin doses?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OP is on insulin and other meds. It has a list on their profile.

So I see. He must have done this since I posted. There was nothing there previously. This thread shows the importance of filling the details in. Otherwise it leads to inappropriate answers.