Fear that I may be becoming type1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
C-peptide says something about the amount of insulin you've produced in the last half hour or so. So it goes up when glucose levels rise, as that's when your body produces insulin to get the bg down again. Your bg at the time was 91, a perfectly normal number, proving that you didn't need more insulin than you produced. You didn't need more insulin at that moment, so your body didn't make it. Exactly as it should be!
Shouldn't conventional unit cover it? So that a healthy individual doesn't get low reading when done in fasted state?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You had no need of higher levels of insulin (c peptide) at the point in time the test was taken because your glucose was not high, it was normal. It had done its job and dropped. We don’t want insulin sloshing around unless it has a job to do.

If glucose had been high, and thus in need of insulin to process it, and cpeptide was also low then that would be different because it would show you were unable to meet insulin demand enough to lower the glucose.

I think I’ve got that the right way round

Reactions: EllieM and Shas3

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do that for pre workout, I do eat a salad of nearly 3-4 tomatoes and cucumber. But may be I will try workout in fasted state.
I eat lots of eggs just don't eat yolks much. I fear cholesterol a bit.

Oh my! If you are fearing cholesterol from eggs, no matter what us Type 1s say it won’t make an iota of difference. I feel sympathy in amongst my frustration, knowing many people with mental health issues. Particularly as you are not enjoying your life to the full. Please please get yourself some expert help. We have but one life, it should be for as much enjoyment as we can muster, whatever our condition.

Reactions: Shas3

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I don't wish for being diabetic. Neither type 1 nor type 2. I don't know how I come across as someone who wants being diagnosed to be type1. I was worried about my c peptide but after reading all the comments I have decide to let the life happen.

Veryanxious,

Rest assured that assuming your c-peptide is 0.8 nmol/l this supports you are prediabetic type 2, which you were diagnosed as. The c-peptide is used on diagnosis (when you first turn up with diabetes) to support a type 1 diagnosis (not later on.) If it was < 0.25 nmol/l fasting, then this would support you are type 1 (which you aren't) and you would have been tested for antibodies IA2 and GAD (which you don't need to be). In Type 2's if their diabetes isn't managed properly, they can go onto require insulin as their c-peptide results decrease over time, but they don't turn into type 1's.

I hope this helps.

Fasting c-peptide (nmol/l) referenced below:
Absolute insulin deficiency/absolute insulin requirement < 0.08
Likely Type 1 diabetes/inability to achieve glycaemic control with non-insulin therapies < 0.25
Suggests Type 2 or monogenic (MODY) diabetes in a patient with presumed Type 1 diabetes > 3–5 years post-diagnosis > 0.08
Consider MODY/Type 2 diabetes in young onset diabetes at diagnosis > 0.4

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3748788/

Reactions: Shas3

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Veryanxious,

Rest assured that assuming your c-peptide is 0.8 nmol/l this supports you are prediabetic type 2, which you were diagnosed as. The c-peptide is used on diagnosis (when you first turn up with diabetes) to support a type 1 diagnosis (not later on.) If it was < 0.25 nmol/l fasting, then this would support you are type 1 (which you aren't) and you would have been tested for antibodies IA2 and GAD (which you don't need to be). In Type 2's if their diabetes isn't managed properly, they can go onto require insulin as their c-peptide results decrease over time, but they don't turn into type 1's.

I hope this helps.

Fasting c-peptide (nmol/l) referenced below:
Absolute insulin deficiency/absolute insulin requirement < 0.08
Likely Type 1 diabetes/inability to achieve glycaemic control with non-insulin therapies < 0.25
Suggests Type 2 or monogenic (MODY) diabetes in a patient with presumed Type 1 diabetes > 3–5 years post-diagnosis > 0.08
Consider MODY/Type 2 diabetes in young onset diabetes at diagnosis > 0.4

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3748788/
This another link I found, which states any thing less then 0.60 can be type 1.
https://www.statpearls.com/kb/viewarticle/18743/
My worry is if I am pre diabetic and was not even pre diabetic for long just 6 months. My beta cells should have mostly been intact.
After reading comments I am not saying I will be type 1 or type 2, I have now left it and not chasing it anymore. But this is really strange.
For a type 2 prediabetic I should have had normal beta cells.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
This another link I found, which states any thing less then 0.60 can be type 1.
https://www.statpearls.com/kb/viewarticle/18743/
My worry is if I am pre diabetic and was not even pre diabetic for long just 6 months. My beta cells should have mostly been intact.
After reading comments I am not saying I will be type 1 or type 2, I have now left it and not chasing it anymore. But this is really strange.
For a type 2 prediabetic I should have had normal beta cells.
Your units are different in the cut-offs. From your article 0.6 ng/ml equals 0.2 nmol/l which matches the article I posted quoted. You're in the T2 zone. I'm pleased you're not chasing it anymore. It's very stressful. You need to talk to your GP for reassurance. Bring the articles along.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
This thread has run it’s course. OP has had plenty of feedback and now needs to talk to their doctor.

Reactions: Shas3 and LooperCat
Status
Not open for further replies.