Finally plucked courage to call Dr

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It is your choice @Cana but the path you are taking is not one I would take. Why can't you make an appointment with your own GP - even if it is a bit of a wait?

By the time they have anything it’s late in July that I need to see her in August snyway.

You can only call at 10 each day and I’m generally in lessons then.

I’ve tried.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It is your choice @Cana but the path you are taking is not one I would take. Why can't you make an appointment with your own GP - even if it is a bit of a wait?

I’d asked for a call Tuesday and she didn’t call me back.

I’m trying to see and talk to her but to be honest a wait if another 4-5 weeks is useless.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

I’ve also asked to speak to practice manager but they have yet to contact me.

It’s not that I’m not trying I am.

I cannot get an appt and I can’t keep losing work to ask for call backs that never happen.

Not quite sure what else to do

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I lost £100 of work because I went to see a locum who spouted off about eating more carbs and wasn’t able to reduce the meds.

I’m self employed if I don’t work I don’t get paid.
I sympathise with the self employed aspect, my husband is too. But did it really take more than 3 hrs or are lessons round your way a lot more expensive than round here?

Did you tell the locum you weren’t happy to increase carbs and wanted to reduce medication instead as raising carbs also slows progress and increases readings? It sounds like you have to be pretty firm on this to get the help you want.

I know many surgeries are very stretched by 5 weeks for even a telephone call is pretty shocking. I’d be booking the earliest one they have whilst still trying for another earlier one. Otherwise that will go too and it’ll be August and then you’ll be being told even though review is due they have nothing til September etc etc.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Just spoke to surgery again, they said dr is leaving surgery for the day so can’t do it. I asked for tomorrow and message sent but who knows if it will happen.

One minute they say she doesn’t do calls then she does.

Receptionist said oh yes you do need to speak to your dr but as soon as I said ok so why haven’t I been able to all week she gets all Rottweiler!

Am sick to death of this now.

Feel like ****, headache, want to cry the whole time because it really shouldn’t be this difficult to get some help.

Sorry if I snapped I’m just fed up with it.

The receptionists are useless and unhelpful and every time o try to get help it’s useless.

I’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Haven’t been that low this week 4.5 was a one off on Tuesday I think.

Probably the stress

Today I feel they are low but they are 6s but then I had strawberries last night and this morning and feel but hungover so could be them.

Sorry

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6’s aren’t low. You don’t need to correct 6’s. It’s probably the stress making you feel bad not the bloods.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I really hope you get the medical care and support you are seeking.
You are worried about hypoglycemia on Forxiga? My understanding hypos were only an issue when Forxiga was taken with sulphonylureas and or insulin (see the article below.) Please ask your GP about this, of course.

I try to keep my blood sugars in the 4's as much as possible, like a normal person without diabetes does naturally. We have homeostasis mechanism that stops my blood sugar going below 3.9 mmol/l unless you are on insulin or sulphonylureas, or chronically ill or running a marathon etc. When I was first diagnosed my blood sugars were averaging over 18.5 mmol/l so when they went under 10, I certainly felt it. But I embraced this new me, I didn't eat anything to put it back up, which would have made me feel better. My new normal is that I feel best when I'm running under 5 mmol/l.

On Forxiga: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/forxiga-dapagliflozin.html
On homeostasis: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3755377/

Last edited:

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You can only call at 10 and I’m generally working or at 8 for emergency.

Call at 8 and take an emergency appointment. You should be allowed time off from work to attend. Are your employers aware of your difficulties controlling your sugars? If you haven't already, I'd make a point of informing at the very least your head of department.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Yesterday I lost £100 of work because I went to see a locum who spouted off about eating more carbs and wasn’t able to reduce the meds.

Sorry, I thought you said that you could have made an appointment in July that would have suited your work better. Plus your usual doctor was more tolerant of your low carb diet. Has anybody mentioned to the practice manager that in the practice there are three professionals with different attitudes to low carb?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Call at 8 and take an emergency appointment. You should be allowed time off from work to attend. Are your employers aware of your difficulties controlling your sugars? If you haven't already, I'd make a point of informing at the very least your head of department.
@Cana is self employed so loses money whilst not working

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
When I was self employed I had income protection insurance, it was reasonably priced for the peace of mind it gave me.

I have that but it’s for longer term.

Day to day isn’t available.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Success!!

Finally spoke to Dr.
She apologised for the catalogue of errors and was very impressed by my numbers.

Wasn’t worried about going into the 4s unless I’m feeling ill.

But agreed to a trial if coming off meds.

So stating to tonight I’m meds’ free. Till Tuesday. If my sugars go up I’m back on meds but if not I’m in remission.

It’s Tuesday as she is in surgery on Wednesday so can call me if I need to.

Weight off my shoulders!

Reactions: TriciaWs and Jo123

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Success!!

Finally spoke to Dr.
She apologised for the catalogue of errors and was very impressed by my numbers.

Wasn’t worried about going into the 4s unless I’m feeling ill.

But agreed to a trial if coming off meds.

So stating to tonight I’m meds’ free. Till Tuesday. If my sugars go up I’m back on meds but if not I’m in remission.

It’s Tuesday as she is in surgery on Wednesday so can call me if I need to.

Weight off my shoulders!
Fantastic!!

Expect a small blip when the meds stop but if the result is acceptable and without fear then run with it. You may then have the confidence to drop the last few “treats” or “reassurance “ items and get your best numbers . She obviously feels you are safe to give it a try so do just that.

Reactions: ziggy_w

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Fantastic!!

Expect a small blip when the meds stop but if the result is acceptable and without fear then run with it. You may then have the confidence to drop the last few “treats” or “reassurance “ items and get your best numbers . She obviously feels you are safe to give it a try so do just that.

What do you mean small blip?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you mean small blip?
You are making a change, it’s quite possible you might see/feel change . I mean “expect” as in don’t be shocked or taken surprise by it IF it happens.

Your dr is confident in your ability to be ok without the forxiga or she wouldn’t say try it and I didn’t mean to knock that confidence

Hopefully changes will be good (needing to pee less maybe?) not dipping as low or not worrying about it so much if you do and feeling less need to “raise it up” with a snack. Going too low without meds is for a type 2 is extremely rare in my understanding - I almost said impossible but I’m sure someone can give an example - and it’s not a legal requirement with regards driving to stay above 4 when unmedicated (obviously still need to feel well and safe).

You might (not will) sit a little higher without the forxiga but hopefully not much and you’ll still be happy and can focus on diet and maybe exercise if that suits you moving forward. It might take a short while to work out what’s happening without the meds youve been using for the last while.

Reactions: lovinglife

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You are making a change, it’s quite possible you might see/feel change . I mean “expect” as in don’t be shocked or taken surprise by it IF it happens.

Your dr is confident in your ability to be ok without the forxiga or she wouldn’t say try it and I didn’t mean to knock that confidence

Hopefully changes will be good (needing to pee less maybe?) not dipping as low or not worrying about it so much if you do and feeling less need to “raise it up” with a snack. Going too low without meds is for a type 2 is extremely rare in my understanding - I almost said impossible but I’m sure someone can give an example - and it’s not a legal requirement with regards driving to stay above 4 when unmedicated (obviously still need to feel well and safe).

You might (not will) sit a little higher without the forxiga but hopefully not much and you’ll still be happy and can focus on diet and maybe exercise if that suits you moving forward. It might take a short while to work out what’s happening without the meds youve been using for the last while.

Already sitting higher

Had 3 eggs scrambled for breakfast with small bit of blend bros bbq sauce and 3 hours later am on 8.3.

Will keep eye on it.

I’m happy to be off them but I’m not convinced I’m in remission and half expecting sugars to keep rising.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember, it takes a while for things to settle down when stopping meds. Have patience! A few days isn't long enough.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or nip out to use the loo at 10 and make a call :)