How quickly do you let the liver shed glucose?

Sal87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sal87 if you are not on metformin it could be worth considering as it helps some people lose weight a little faster.
I am on Metformin, quantity reduced to 1000 mg from 2000 because it was creating bowel problems, Victoza was added instead.

Sal87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on Metformin, quantity reduced to 1000 mg from 2000 because it was creating bowel problems, Victoza was added instead.
To which I'll add, Victoza was supposed to help with weight loss as well. But at the level of challenge I'm at, those impacts are pretty minor in any event.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
My tuppence worth... I'm not on meds (for a while now), and I intermittent fast, intermittently. Normally a couple of days, then I need a "breakfast" or I'm too hungry to get any work done. As expected my readings in the afternoon are high 6's. My question is - is my next HbA1c going to show a high score, giving my GP to a reason to reintroduce Metformin?

Reactions: Sal87

Sal87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My tuppence worth... I'm not on meds (for a while now), and I intermittent fast, intermittently. Normally a couple of days, then I need a "breakfast" or I'm too hungry to get any work done. As expected my readings in the afternoon are high 6's. My question is - is my next HbA1c going to show a high score, giving my GP to a reason to reintroduce Metformin?
You seem to be doing okay.

ShortStuff

Personally, if it was ME, I’d stop the meds & be strict about my diet. I’d eat when hungry, but only when hungry. I wouldn’t force a meal, but neither would I limit myself to any set fasting hours.

When I did eat, I’d eat a proper meal, not a snack, so that I really shouldn’t be hungry again for hours.

I’d drink lots of water, walk a lot, try to sleep properly & give my body a chance to sort itself out.

Highs of 9’s through this process wouldn’t worry me, I’d simply ‘keep the faith’ that low carbing/Keto and no meds works FOR ME.

Doing this worked for me last year when I had (unrelated) surgery and the whole surgery & hospital stay (meds/food) did nasty things to my levels.

Oh & the alcohol...how does it affect your readings? Irrespective, right now I’d stop drinking just to give my body the best chance to sort itself out, but I appreciate that might not be so easy for you, try if you can.

Sal87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, if it was ME, I’d stop the meds & be strict about my diet. I’d eat when hungry, but only when hungry. I wouldn’t force a meal, but neither would I limit myself to any set fasting hours.

When I did eat, I’d eat a proper meal, not a snack, so that I really shouldn’t be hungry again for hours.

I’d drink lots of water, walk a lot, try to sleep properly & give my body a chance to sort itself out.

Highs of 9’s through this process wouldn’t worry me, I’d simply ‘keep the faith’ that low carbing/Keto and no meds works FOR ME.

Doing this worked for me last year when I had (unrelated) surgery and the whole surgery & hospital stay (meds/food) did nasty things to my levels.

Oh & the alcohol...how does it affect your readings? Irrespective, right now I’d stop drinking just to give my body the best chance to sort itself out, but I appreciate that might not be so easy for you, try if you can.
This is bold, ShortStuff. I appreciate your attitude. As you know, some aspects can be quite tough in practice such as proper sleep. I set aside the time for that, I recognize the importance of it yet struggle to get much more than five hours in a night. But I like your introduction of trust in these proceedings. Trust the approach, stick with it and if you do, trust it will work out. In many ways it already is.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
You seem to be doing okay.
You're too kind, but I'm in awe at the willpower of some members here ( you know who you are @bulkbiker ), and I have honestly considered restarting the Metformin so I can relax a bit.

Sal87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You're too kind, but I'm in awe at the willpower of some members here ( you know who you are @bulkbiker ), and I have honestly considered restarting the Metformin so I can relax a bit.
Along with practical advice, it's great to have inspiration in these forums.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A not quite relevant question
I am a low carbing very skinny type 2 I eat as much good fat etc as possible but I get a liver dump e every morning ,because I am under weight does my liver think that I may die before breakfast if it doesn't feed me !!!?
Carol

Sal87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a low carbing very skinny type 2 I eat as much good fat etc as possible but I get a liver dump e every morning ,because I am under weight does my liver think that I may die before breakfast if it doesn't feed me !!!?
Carol
Carol, it is sometimes described as your body making you breakfast!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Carol
Doesn't everybody get a 'Dawn effect' live dump of glucose every morning?
I know that I do.

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
Yep, my liver still does that to me without a fail. I think that's why I cannot stomach a breakfast - I'm never hungry, so I have my morning Metformin, wash it down with a pot of coffee and off I go! Starving by lunchtime though, but that's how long it takes for my blood glucose to come down to normal levels. :wacky:

Reactions: Caeseji

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep, my liver still does that to me without a fail. I think that's why I cannot stomach a breakfast - I'm never hungry, so I have my morning Metformin, wash it down with a pot of coffee and off I go! Starving by lunchtime though, but that's how long it takes for my blood glucose to come down to normal levels. :wacky:
This is why I don't understand diabetes. If you don't eat does your liver not think that you are more likely to die and dump more glucose ? After I eat breakfast my 2hour bg measurement is the same as my fasting level of even slightly lower
Carol

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
This is why I don't understand diabetes. If you don't eat does your liver not think that you are more likely to die and dump more glucose ? After I eat breakfast my 2hour bg measurement is the same as my fasting level of even slightly lower
Carol
My 2hrs after Breakfast level is almost always well below my 'fasting' level. Particularly if I have been out for a morning walk.