lbarmen

Hello, I bought a transmitter with already changed batteries. Please tell me in what ways it will be better to change the batteries and than will need it later to close? I buy Maxell SR1120W

download

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello - Unfortunately purchasing equipment second hand isn't advisable are you're not covered by the manufacturer if you have a faulty transmitter, I cannot comment on changing the battery as I wouldn't recommend doing this.

lbarmen

Hello - Unfortunately purchasing equipment second hand isn't advisable are you're not covered by the manufacturer if you have a faulty transmitter, I cannot comment on changing the battery as I wouldn't recommend doing this.
My question is even more, how do you replace the batteries in the transmitters you have already used? As well as for the new ones?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Dexcom transmitter isn’t designed to have the batteries changed.
Once the transmitter dies it should be replaced with a new one.
Now there are people who have gone to quite considerable lengths to fit new batteries in dead transmitter.
See YouTube videos.
The process is time consuming, needs quality tools and has no guarantee of success.
Once the transmitter has been opened up and batteries changed you still have the problem of re sealing the transmitter. The outer casing will be destroyed to a large extent during the battery removal operation. The transmitter will now need to be re sealed ( as yours has been ) Whether you will be able to remove this new seal without causing further damage is something you’ll have to take a chance on.
My understanding of the process of tampering with the transmitter is that , unless you are extremely careful, resourceful and lucky you may find yourself with an unusable product.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree they are not designed to have the battery replaced.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
There are various Looper groups on the net that do this. Yes, it is against warranty but also i take the loopers' point that the medical device industry who manufacture these devices regulate how long the batteries last and this is an issue about profit at the individual's or supporting health system's (and thus taxpayers'') expense.
Diabetes is expensive enough without gouging by the medical device companies who are some of the richest health - related companies in the world.

Reactions: lbarmen

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There are various Looper groups on the net that do this. Yes, it is against warranty but also i take the loopers' point that the medical device industry who manufacture these devices regulate how long the batteries last and this is an issue about profit at the individual's or supporting health system's (and thus taxpayers'') expense.
Diabetes is expensive enough without gouging by the medical device companies who are some of the richest health - related companies in the world.
I'd like to correct this statement - Looper groups *GENERALLY DON'T CHANGE BATTERIES IN DEXCOM TRANSMITTERS*

It is not recommended.

Having said that, DIY users in general may re-battery old transmitters, either for use in countries where there is no Dexcom G5 or G6 availability or where lower cost options are required to maintain use, but I reiterate, this is DIY in general.

With all that said, it's probably better to replace the batteries in an old dexcom transmitter than it is to use a Miao Miao with Libre to make CGM, as the algorithm in Dexcom transmitters is designed to be CGM, and the calibration for MiaoMiao doesn't take in a number of factors related to the variations over the Libre's sensor life.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Ummm catch is quoting oficial dexcom.... does extending the life of sensors come under the same catogory...... kind of do as i say not as i do stuff here.

Reactions: kitedoc