Has anyone used Humalin S over Novorapid

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys,

How do they compare, I;'m finding that the NR does not last the 4ish hours for me when eating a higher protien and fat meal?

Thanks

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I don’t know if you’ve done a carb counting course or seen a dietitian. Please do ask your diabetes team for more guidance. But for higher fat, greasier foods - you’ll need to do a split dose of fast acting insulin to have a better insulin coverage. I don’t know much about humalin S, so I cannot comment.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I don’t know if you’ve done a carb counting course or seen a dietitian. Please do ask your diabetes team for more guidance. But for higher fat, greasier foods - you’ll need to do a split dose of fast acting insulin to have a better insulin coverage. I don’t know much about humalin S, so I cannot comment.

Yep done all the above, the split/extended boluses are driving me mad tbh and I feel the longer range of the Humalin would take care of the post 2hrs protien spikes. Because of my exercise routine my diet it pretty high in protein.

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cannot give a comparison as I've never used Novorapid. Always used Humulin S and never have spikes.

I do tend to bump along 4-5 munching mini chocolate bars whilst exercising.

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes! I use Humalin S over Novorapid! I have tried NR on many occasions because it is the insulin of choice along with humalog for MDI. I have tried soooo many times to get the likes to work for me but they just don't!

I am lucky enough to have got a freestyle libre on prescription since January and it has been a remarkable learning curve.
Initially I was finding a huge spike with my HS which I had always been unaware of, my bg before lunch would be normal and before tea the same. Then I got the libre and realised I spiked hugely in between!
I decided in to go back and try NR to see if this would address this problem. It did not, for me anyway! (I appreciate that istworks really well for so many people so this is just my experience).
On my trial with NR I found it brought my levels down too low immediately on injecting so I would often hypo after a meal, very frustrating, just when you don't want to be stuffing yourself with Jelly babes or the like! And then I would get a rise so would then have to correct. I got into a habit of just injecting here there and everywhere to deal with just about everything!

Through the Libre I have learnt that my HS just takes a really long time to work! Now I know that I seem to be doing so much better!

I have recently changed my Diabetes team and they are just great! When I saw them last time I said 'Oh and by the way I'm back on my Humalin S! I don't think it is the insulin of choice for most practitioners! My consultant is lovely and rolled his eyes somewhat and said why??? I explained after two month trial I ended up taking about 8 units more insulin per day (as I had to also increase my basal) and according to my data I had worse control! He did say he had a handful of patients still on HS and he agreed it didn't seem to meet my digestion! working too quickly for me.

There are so many things to consider though with HS:
Firstly it takes much longer to work so a bolus may take 30 minutes if not longer to act on your food. In fact in the morning when I am naturally rising I can take HS 1 hour or longer before eating breakfast. Most meals take 30-40 minutes to meet my food. But we are all different. But it will certainly be much longer than NR.

I feel it is quite stable with less peaks and troughs for me but be aware it is not ideal for correction doses! They take much longer to work so in times of illness it won't bring your bgs down very quickly and if you are adding a correction to your bolus you can probably add another ten minutes to your bolus!

You don't say if you want your insulin to deal with high protein and fat because you are low carb? I don't eat a low carb diet but having said that I don't eat huge amounts of carbs and eat a lot of dairy to compensate. If I did eat a 'carby' meal HS does really need time to get going!!!

Also be aware that your basal insulin may go down when using it as it is so much longer acting than NR. And avoid 'stacking' particularly in the later part of the day otherwise it can clash with night time insulin.

I would discuss with your physician but be warned they don't generally like to go backward as they often see it!

When I went back on Humalin S, for me I call it 'human again S' as I feel so much better on it!

Hope that makes sense and if I can help further please ask!

Nina

Reactions: NaijaChick

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Nina, for me it would be for when I take a meal that is higher in fat and protein over carbs. I'm not low carbs I take in a out 250-300g per day but there are times when i want a meal with higher proteins and much lower carbs and would use the HS for that. In the mornings I think the NR would be find tbh.