Type 1'stars R Us

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
violence on Tv as two underlying causes

Hate when this is used. I enjoy watching and playing content that would be in this category but it has never made me want to walk up to anyone and shout obscenities at them or threaten physical violence. Studies have now been performed which show there is no link between aggression and content like this.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
When I first met my consultant and I had the libre then, on my graph I was spiking very badly but the bg level was around 13-14mmol/l mark, but on the libre it was 16++. My consultant wasn't happy, but I just let that one slide because I did do a finger prick tests for it but the libre graph is adding more to the drama. :hilarious: I appreciate consultants who prescribe it, giving our fingers a short break and more data to learn about our control. But the accuracy is so questionable. :arghh:
But thecLibre got your sttention that something needed changing, otherwise why test or use it at all?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Hate when this is used. I enjoy watching and playing content that would be in this category but it has never made me want to walk up to anyone and shout obscenities at them or threaten physical violence. Studies have now been performed which show there is no link between aggression and content like this.

That is true, and I watched some violence on TV but my parents weren't aggressive in speech or action and swearing was not something that I heard at home (except for hammer hitting thumb type event). I do query whether a general acceptance of violence in thought. speech and programs altogether lead to a poorer behaviour?

Reactions: Knikki and db89

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
2756 steps so far today, most of which was a short toddle to the GPs to collect the usual repeat prescription. I'll save taking it to the pharmacy for tomorrow, as I'm totally wiped out and couldn't face the bus ride to the pharmacy, or the pootle around the supermarket I usually do whilst I'm waiting! But I was getting a bit stir-crazy after two days indoors. (I'm more of a 20,000 steps a day kind of active when not slain by this fluey cold).

I think I've got two versions merged, as going down with these massive, fluey symptoms 5 days into an inconvenient, but able to function kind of cold is not usual for me! Plus, my numbers were great for the first few days, and have been all over the place since the fluey symptoms arrived and I've been correcting like crazy for two days now. Yes, I'm monitoring everything carefully and will seek medical advice as needed.

I do admit, if I'm still feeling this rough tomorrow, I also will be pulling in the "Let me know if you need anything" offers and sending the person who lives nearest to the pharmacy to get everything - it's almost a full repeat this time. Everything except lancets....

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I agree, and I don't know the solution but I do wonder if the increased general levels of aggression and just downright anger play their part in influencing the children, and to what extent.

I just don't think that teachers should be exposed to physical violence or even the threat of it.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are spikes not really best avoided if possible?
I was wondering about this today, has anyone been able to control their spikes? I've accepted that we will always spike after food, whether it is big or a small one. I had two boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes and iced soy coffee this morning and shot up from 8.7 to 13.6 - I did increase insulin ratio in the mornings but haven't smoothed out the spikes. I wondered if diabetics on pumps have been able to tame the spikes.
My libre shows my spikes, whether my timing for insulin is calculated wrong or my body is doing something funky I don't know.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The graph is from the drug company i presume and will likely be an average, and they have not been bothered enough to indicate what the actual range of action - onset, peak and duration is or how it varies with dosage etc.
As is the graph is good for illustrative purposes but of course will vary between individual users.
I agree, I wasn't told when it peaked but I was today today to take it 5 mins before eating and if it is really carb heavy 10 mins before eating.

Reactions: Knikki and kitedoc

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had no hypos today but running above target between 10-13.0mmol, came down nicely during my nap around 6.6-8.5mmol. :)

Reactions: kitedoc

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Usually takes a couple of weeks for me x

My cottage for the weekend :)

View attachment 33631
Wow that looks amazing Mel. Good luck with the zip line tomorrow...

Camping has been cancelled camp site said it was too boggy. So decided to compensate with Eton Mess....photo to follow (when I can make the pic smaller lol)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone think our prescriptions are getting more expensive if we include freestyle libre sensors? I remember boots printed prices on their labels and my prescription would cost £60. :eek: I was just wondering because I had a look at the Accu-check lancet device and each box comes with 24 lancets, so 4 drums in a box - how many boxes do you go through? or could you ask for a higher amount of drums in a box? The boxes I got could possibly be sample boxes from the hospital.

Reactions: Knikki
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Goodnight guys and sleep tight, off to bed now zzzzzzzzzz

Reactions: hh1

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had dinner at 20:30 tonight and I was 10.3, after finishing and during those 4 hours I was running a bit too high 15.5-16.0. By the end of 4hours it was 13.3, I did a correction at 22:39. I went to bad with an assumption that I’ll wake up on a good note. I was so wrong, about 3hours later I was 1.8. Let me quickly throw diabetes in the bin. I waited all evening right up until bed time for it to come down and it plummets when I’m enjoy my sleep.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
pob lwc @Mel dCP and good morning everyone. Awake at sillyo'clock I suppose I must be excited about going to Gardeners' World at the NEC. I've already got my train ticket but the guy gave me a seat reservation for the wrong train so I'm hoping I don't have to stand all the way there. It only takes an hour but I need all my energy to walk round the show gardens, floral marquee and the plant village where I will no doubt buy things I didn't know the garden needed. Not to mention the foody bit, the Good Food Show. This will be my first visit there since diagnosis so I'm going to have to curb my enthusiasm for all the free samples. I've nibbled and tippled some truly rank stuff in my time, toffee vodka, chilli cheese, not today though.
This afternoon, once I get back, it's a superwoman change from jeans and trainers to skirt and shoes. I rarely wear skirts and only have one long black one which serves for all occasions. I'm off to the yearly garden party with the French, fingers crossed that the rain stays away and they can serve their rather elegant nibbles and very acceptable fizz on the lawn.
All in all a full day, bag ready, yep.... I'm excited

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning friends,
After my hypo I shot up to 18.0 (for hypo I had 200ml-250ml of coke and a strawberry jam sandwich) - I was at 2.6 after 15 mins so I was nibbling away at my sandwich, then it went to 6.6, then 9.5. So I thought okay it might not to too bad, but uh oh 18.0.
The dsn said I should just leave it as it is and I know no corrections for hypos and the treats to reduce the rebound effect. but 18.0 is a bit high? my naughty self corrected and it's now 11.3, so I didn't sleep after that party. I'll have breakfast and might go back to bed. I hope everyone has a splendid day. :)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning it was nice to wake up to no rain although it probably wont last have a great weekend everyone not up to much bit of holiday shopping and a visit to see the ninjas

Reactions: hh1

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could I please ask for everyone's input on me doing another carb counting course - While I like the idea about personalised carb ratios and correction ratios, I feel it is disregarding that fact I did DAFNE and I know my diabetes team wants to help me. It's a 3 month wait 1 lesson per week for 4 weeks from 9:30-15:30. The nurse did say she'd push for it sooner but I doubt it because everything is a long waiting list. I do find a bit awkward because I did have a discussion about pump therapy with my consultant and he took note that I did DAFNE. But the nurse said you'll have to do this course and wait 6 months to see any improvement and then if things don't improve the consultant will approve funding for a pump. (Things did slightly improve on DAFNE and it's been 7 months since I did it)
By then I would have seen my consultant and maybe then it'll be another discussion. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to learn and meet other folks who are in this area and make some friends. But the time lapse is overlapping with whatever my consultant has planned. Any carb counting course is not a waste of time, I always find it interesting and helpful and I would accept all the help I can get to improve my control.
I guess I was hopeful to have a better or slightly more improved control before I head off to university this September. If I did another carb counting course, wait 6 months and taking into account my hospital visits, it'll be more or so next year. I'm quite desperate at the moment and I know Rome wasn't built in a day. but university isn't waiting for me to get better, I have to get better. It would be worth it if I was not struggling for time.