Is it possible to be both keto and Vegan?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I’ve seen a few people on instagram who do it and it is possible. I remember keeping a list of keto vegan food items. Lots of nut butters, butters and oils, avocados etc
You can still have your yogurt and berries, I tried the alpro soy yogurt and greek yogurt, both very thick and creamy.
Vegan cheese might be hit or miss, I haven’t found one that I like yet.

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Mona Vand says you can.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Incredibly hard although possible.
Talk about a restrictive diet though!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Incredibly hard although possible.
Talk about a restrictive diet though!
Diakat plays devil’s advocate - more than just eating meat? Hides behind the sofa...

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diakat plays devil’s advocate - more than just eating meat? Hides behind the sofa...
I believe forum rules forbid me give my critique on Mona in the words i would probably want to use. But it was ........................interesting viewing.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I’ve seen a few people on instagram who do it and it is possible. I remember keeping a list of keto vegan food items. Lots of nut butters, butters and oils, avocados etc
You can still have your yogurt and berries, I tried the alpro soy yogurt and greek yogurt, both very thick and creamy.
Vegan cheese might be hit or miss, I haven’t found one that I like yet.
Thank you, lots of alternatives there.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think DD has a couple of vegan keto meal plans - not sure if you can access them if your not a member

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well kind of .. no supplements necessary on all meat at least..
But keto veggie was hard enough for my nephew so keto vegan? green veg, salad, mushrooms and avocado I guess..

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Search on Amazon for keto vegan recipe books - there are a lot to choose from......

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went back to trying to eat vegan again this January and am currently managing about 95% (sometimes need to compromise on cheese when eating out). I would love to maintain a keto vegan regime but I get so hungry! And I couldn't survive without beans which I eat as my main source of carbs as well as a good source of protein. If anyone out there is thriving on keto without animal products, do tell how you are managing it.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I am not keto, or even low carb by T2 standards (about 80g a day atm) and I concede it woudn't be easy but if I needed to then I could do it using the books I have so that I have interesting recipes. Helps that I love cooking....

Breakfast for me is under 10g, lunch is usually about 14g and I save a lot for dinner, leaving about 20g for an evening snack. I'm not remotely hungry - just greedy and my husband is a snacker so it's hard not to. If I didn't snack I guess I could easily be at 60g without really trying. But even that isn't keto, I know.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not vegan (used to be veggie many moons ago), but I'm open to eating more plant based meals. I follow @modernfoodstories on Instagram and I think most (if not all) her recipes are vegan or have vegan versions. I've not tried any of her recipes yet, but they look delicious. www.modernfoodstories.com is her website.

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I didn't mean to have a low carb day but today's meal plans work out fine for protein, vitamins etc but run at 50g of carb. The meals are all large, filling and delicious so there's not much point having anything else for the sake of it.

Still not keto, but fine for me given I'm not actually trying to go under 80g......

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

In an ideal world I'd slurp less walnut oil (stuffed with ALA) and olive oil in all its glorious flavours but hey - we're all allowed vices, and whilst I might be happy to drop a couple of pounds I don't want to be hungry, cold, short of ALA etc. Also the milled flaxseed I consume is a tad fatty but it's really good for me..

Any weight to be lost can drift away gently at its own pace, I think.