Metformin side effects

Nick8718

Hi. Newly diagnosed T2. This week. All my own fault. Now on low carb and 2000 Metformin a day. Did the devil him/herself make this drug?? I went up from 1 tab a day to the 4 I’m now on. Vomiting, nausea, diarrhoea, cramps ... and that’s without the mental trauma of getting to grips with it all!

Simple question - do we tend to get used to it or do I need to talk to my GP about slow release?

And a second question - my blood sugars are on the decline (still horribly high) - is that caused by the metformin or the cutbacks in the type of food I’m eating?

Thanks for the great service you all do - can’t put into words how it felt to find a gang with this much knowledge and support. Not as lonely as it felt at the beginning of the week!

Reactions: JPS
D

Deleted member 508720

Hi. Newly diagnosed T2. This week. All my own fault. Now on low carb and 2000 Metformin a day. Did the devil him/herself make this drug?? I went up from 1 tab a day to the 4 I’m now on. Vomiting, nausea, diarrhoea, cramps ... and that’s without the mental trauma of getting to grips with it all!

Simple question - do we tend to get used to it or do I need to talk to my GP about slow release?

And a second question - my blood sugars are on the decline (still horribly high) - is that caused by the metformin or the cutbacks in the type of food I’m eating?

Thanks for the great service you all do - can’t put into words how it felt to find a gang with this much knowledge and support. Not as lonely as it felt at the beginning of the week!
Hello, Nick

I am also recently diagnosed and joined this Forum only yesterday. I am really sorry that you are suffering such terrible side-effects from the Metformin. I have been taking Metformin 500 MG for one month now and have not suffered any of the bad effects that you have. My Pharmacist has been fantastic, phoning me to make sure that I am not suffering any ill-effects from the medication. I am not qualified to offer you advice on your medication but I would seriously suggest that you contact either your GP or your Pharmacist to explain the terrible side-effects which you are suffering. I am sure they would be able to do something to help you.

All the best. I trust you will soon get some relief.
Sheila

Reactions: Nick8718

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my own case I believe anyway, it was diet (eat to meter) but we are all different...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You should certainly ask to try the slow release (although for me it actually made things worse!).
But I think that diet is far more important.
Reduce carb consumption to almost zero and the bloods should start to drop nicely.. it will take a few weeks but it will happen.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just before Christmas 2016 I threw the tablets in the bin, I lasted just over a month taking one tablet a day and feeling so ill, but could not take two Metformin tablets a day without feeling totally dreadful. I was taking Atorvastatin as well and got to the stage where I not only wanted to die I was looking forward to it. At least I think I was - I only have my diary to go by as I can't remember all that clearly what it was like. I still claim that I can't remember rather more often than I would like.
The thought of going back on Metformin means I can resist just about any temptation. I did not need the tablets - I have been seeing normal blood glucose levels for years.

Reactions: JPS

Nick8718

Maybe that’s their use? To stop temptation. Glad it’s not just me that feels death would be preferable to this. GP next week - I’ll ‘have a word’!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Metformin and suffered gastro upset for about a week or two, but as others have suggested, ask your dr for the slow release version to try. Having said that low carb eating contributes far more than the Metformin in getting your levels down.

Nick8718

I take Metformin and suffered gastro upset for about a week or two, but as others have suggested, ask your dr for the slow release version to try. Having said that low carb eating contributes far more than the Metformin in getting your levels down.

This may sound really silly but what does the metformin actually do? I thought it was to drop your levels but I think I’ve got that wrong. Thanks for the advice - really appreciate it and the other advice from others.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This may sound really silly but what does the metformin actually do? I thought it was to drop your levels but I think I’ve got that wrong. Thanks for the advice - really appreciate it and the other advice from others.
Metformin doesn’t have a direct effect on blood sugar levels, but it helps by reducing the amount of sugar the liver dumps and helps your body’s insulin to work more efficiently. Have a read here:
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/metformin/

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I asked my GP for the slow release Metformin straight away (one of the Teaching Assistants in my class is a pharmacist and told me about her experience and gave me advice to ask for the slow release-otherwise I would not have known)when he said I would have to take this medicine. I am now on week 2 of taking it at 2x 500mg a day, building up to 4 x 500mg over the next 2 weeks. I have been ok ,so far, but know several people who started on the regular Metformin and had the vomiting etc and asked to go onto slow release then were fine. I hope your G.P can help find something that works for you. Mine was more like ,'You have Type 2 diabetes. Lose weight. Here's your prescription. Bye!'

Last edited: