What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you feeling better gennepher? Apart from being tired that is.

Apart from a slight cough still from the bug, I am better from the bug, but it has left me easily tired.

Thank you for asking.

>^..^<

Reactions: Viv19

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maglil is that the skinny brown bread mix? I would love to have some yeast bread. Perhaps could take some back with me.
It is. They have a white one as well but I've always been a brown bread person. The yeast is in a little pack inside.
Very simple to make. First one I used a dough hook. This one I decided to knead the mix. Formed the loaf, got it on it's tray, covered and proved for 1.5 hrs by the time I got back.
It's a 50 min bake.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 I wondered which one and how this compares to Dr Almond
https://mydiet-shop.co.uk/baking-co...y+Low+Carb+Brown+Bread+&+Roll+Mix&results=315

This is the one. It's a dark bread but there's no doubt the vital wheat gluten and yeast make a big difference. It comes out with a crusty crust and a soft interior with the texture of "proper" bread. I think it is better than Dr Almond but it is down to the yeast and gluten. I have both in my "mystical baking cupboard" so I'll try them as additions to a Dr Almond mix.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today is last day of food, had breakfast in Fowey:
Scrambled egg mushrooms and tomato. Tea.
Lunch was at a 13th century inn on Dartmoor where we checked in. Felt quite weak and out of sorts and chilly so pulled up to the log fire and had a pot of tea only.
Supper here was a steak with one small mushroom and two tomatoes. Now back in room after leaving OH perusing the extensive local cheeses.
Ready for home tomorrow but will miss Cornwall.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
New
14-06-19
breakfast: two eggs scrambled with butter and an avocado, two cups of tea.
lunch: we ate out, self service with a difference, choose your meal, packed in kilner jar, They heat it up and deliver to table. MrS had chicken risotto, mine was duck and orange. Came with a colourful collection of vegetables. Delicious and filling. Didnt really need any more food, but had a couple of chicken pieces and a glass or two of wine, just to be sociable and keep up the protein. nibbled on walnuts as well.
calories, who knows? same for all the rest of the figures...

Viv19

It is. They have a white one as well but I've always been a brown bread person. The yeast is in a little pack inside.
Very simple to make. First one I used a dough hook. This one I decided to knead the mix. Formed the loaf, got it on it's tray, covered and proved for 1.5 hrs by the time I got back.
It's a 50 min bake.

Then I’ll order some to take back with me. Have you noticed what kind of shelf life the packs have? Don’t want to order lots and discover I have to eat them all within a very short time frame. :))
I don’t suppose you’ve worked out what the recipe might be have you? I usually try to deconstruct food.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Lunch today was M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos.

Dinner - out at a Turkish restaurant as stage 1 in my Dad’s 80th Birthday celebrations. Had a mixed grill of Kofte kebab, coup,e of bits of chicken shish, couple of bits of lamb shish, 2 chicken wings, lamb chop and 1 piece kidney. The accompanying salad was donated to my dad.

Also had about two thirds of a Hotel Chocolat 100% egg.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea
Lunch roast lamb, cauliflower, carrots.
Berries and Greek yoghurt
Tea
Almonds
LC bread, Camembert, ham, baby bel
60 gm strawberries with double cream
Tea
Gin and tonic with frozen lemon slices. Very disappointed. I’ve never bothered to buy slim line tonic. Bought some at Morrison’s- just horrible. Perhaps Schweppes would be better. Anybody know??

I used to enjoy slimline tonic with gin but the different brands aren’t all the same quality. I liked Schweppes and it is 0carb. Beware Fever tree ‘naturally light’ it has 6g per bottle. Britvic tastes horrible.
@shelley262 put me on to soda water with gin and now I prefer it to tonic - you can taste the gin better!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Lunch today was M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos.

Dinner - out at a Turkish restaurant as stage 1 in my Dad’s 80th Birthday celebrations. Had a mixed grill of Kofte kebab, coup,e of bits of chicken shish, couple of bits of lamb shish, 2 chicken wings, lamb chop and 1 piece kidney. The accompanying salad was donated to my dad.

Also had about two thirds of a Hotel Chocolat 100% egg.

The HC eggs arrived then? Very impressive willpower to put 1/3 away again.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B:1 slice Gouda and 1 slice ham. CWC
L: at a roadside cafe, I asked for just the fried egg, 1 rasher bacon and mushrooms component of the All Day Breakfast. I was told that made it difficult! How is it difficult NOT putting beans, hash browns and sausage on a plate? I gave my sweetest smile which possibly looked more menacing than it was meant to, but I did get my meal - dumped on the table with very bad grace and all in the middle of a large white floury bap. Did look good but I dutifully ditched the bread. Drank black coffee
D: small steak, egg mushrooms spinach.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B:1 slice Gouda and 1 slice ham. CWC
L: at a roadside cafe, I asked for just the fried egg, 1 rasher bacon and mushrooms component of the All Day Breakfast. I was told that made it difficult! How is it difficult NOT putting beans, hash browns and sausage on a plate? I gave my sweetest smile which possibly looked more menacing than it was meant to, but I did get my meal - dumped on the table with very bad grace and all in the middle of a large white floury bap. Did look good but I dutifully ditched the bread. Drank black coffee
D: small steak, egg mushrooms spinach.
I just want the low carb stuff on the plate, and I hate this wastage of food. In cafe etc I ask for the bits I need on the plate and minus the bread or roll, but it involves a discussion with a supervisor, a battle with the till as they cannot do individual items even if they still are still charging you the same price for the full meal....
>^..^<

Reactions: DJC3

Viv19

I used to enjoy slimline tonic with gin but the different brands aren’t all the same quality. I liked Schweppes and it is 0carb. Beware Fever tree ‘naturally light’ it has 6g per bottle. Britvic tastes horrible.
@shelley262 put me on to soda water with gin and now I prefer it to tonic - you can taste the gin better!

Thanks for the guide. Then I’ll try Schweppes next. I like the taste of tonic- before wine was offered at boozy parties, I used tonic to keep me relatively sober. One g & t, one just t, repeat.
In the past months when we’ve been with friends drinking and talking in the evening, I’ve done the same kind of thing with wine and water. After those water filled evenings, my bedtime and fasting bg have been noticeably low. Here chez Dad it’s not the habit to drink loads of water (the tap water doesn’t taste very good and bottled water is never bought) my levels are higher than at our home. I think I need to up my water intake.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just want the low carb stuff on the plate, and I hate this wastage of food. In cafe etc I ask for the bits I need on the plate and minus the bread or roll, but it involves a discussion with a supervisor, a battle with the till as they cannot do individual items even if they still are still charging you the same price for the full meal....
>^..^<

Yes its ridiculous isn’t it. I actually said ‘no bread or toast’ so I’ve no idea why they put it all in a roll. It’s a terrific waste and so unnecessary. I think we have a lot to learn from the American service industry who by all accounts are used to customers ‘customising’ menu choices and don’t bat an eye.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the guide. Then I’ll try Schweppes next. I like the taste of tonic- before wine was offered at boozy parties, I used tonic to keep me relatively sober. One g & t, one just t, repeat.
In the past months when we’ve been with friends drinking and talking in the evening, I’ve done the same kind of thing with wine and water. After those water filled evenings, my bedtime and fasting bg have been noticeably low. Here chez Dad it’s not the habit to drink loads of water (the tap water doesn’t taste very good and bottled water is never bought) my levels are higher than at our home. I think I need to up my water intake.

How long are you staying? Would he mind if you bought your own bottled water? I really struggle with drinking water - just don’t like it and I know I should drink more. It’s interesting that your bg levels have been higher since drinking less though. I must up my game.

Reactions: Viv19

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 and @gennepher sometimes its so hard to get what you want just have to give up and deconstruct it on the plate. I agree about waste. One place we were thinking of having lunch I asked if I could swap the bread and chips for salad and they said you can but it will be £3 extra. Not very customer friendly!
Felt a bit out of steam yesterday had a breakfast of eggs, nushrooms and tomato and we set off across Dartmoor to our last stop. So enjoyed the trip but as soon as we got out of the car at lunctime there was a cold wind and just getting our stuff from the car to the room I got very cold. Luckily they had a big log fire so sat by that for an hour with a pot of tea. Had a rest in room under a rug then we went out exploring by car. We had planned a walk but I just didnt have the legs for it
Early supper had steak tiny mushroom and two cherry toms. Left OH contemplating the cheese menu and just needed to get into bed.

Viv19

How long are you staying? Would he mind if you bought your own bottled water? I really struggle with drinking water - just don’t like it and I know I should drink more. It’s interesting that your bg levels have been higher since drinking less though. I must up my game.

Nearly 3 weeks. I bought water today. It’s not just that my bg levels are higher since I’ve been drinking less water, but they were amazingly low when I drank lots. So perhaps I need to drink much more water while I’m working on getting the numbers low permanently.