Knee pains - Vicious circle

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi All

Just starting to get back into fitness again and starting to have the same old problems with my knees. Trying to do the Couch to 5K program and also walking every day. However I keep having to take a day or so off or stop because of pains in my knees. Doctor has said its just a weight thing and overworking the legs that arent used to it, I honestly feel I cant ease up much more, and Im struggling to lose weight with diet. keep giving up and going back to bad habits. Any wonder cures for knee pain (down the sides) Someone has suggested Cod Liver Oil tablets. Must admit Im not a great lover of taking supplements as I think most are a con or not proven to work. Unless of course you know better

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema and SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I certainly sympathize with knee pain as I have it too, especially in one knee (mostly from landing on that leg dismounting from horses). It's also due to overweight. Sometimes walking helps; sometimes it aggravates. I had to quit riding stationary bicycles because the pedaling motion made it worse.

I've had glucosamine-chondroitin tablets recommended to me by friends but had to stop them as they upset my stomach. If I wanted to try any other supplements I'd check with my doctor first. As it is, I just keep walking. :)

Reactions: Freema

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I stopped trying to run because of this. I keep to fast walking including up hills and resistance training in the gym.

Swimming and cycling are other options.

Reactions: Dearbhla

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

Just starting to get back into fitness again and starting to have the same old problems with my knees. Trying to do the Couch to 5K program and also walking every day. However I keep having to take a day or so off or stop because of pains in my knees. Doctor has said its just a weight thing and overworking the legs that arent used to it, I honestly feel I cant ease up much more, and Im struggling to lose weight with diet. keep giving up and going back to bad habits. Any wonder cures for knee pain (down the sides) Someone has suggested Cod Liver Oil tablets. Must admit Im not a great lover of taking supplements as I think most are a con or not proven to work. Unless of course you know better

Hi Hibby, have you tried any of the various knee supports you can buy? I find the stretchy type ones are really good.

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone, yeah forgot to add that l’ve two different knee supports. Will keep plodding on. Trying to not give up this time. If l can’t run l will walk. Cheers everyone

Reactions: Prem51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It kind of depends on what the problem is. Muscles not supporting the knee, ligaments not supporting it, cartilage worn away, bone worn away, just too much weight, not a knee problem at all but feet, gait, hip, back etc can all refer pain to the knee.

Do you know the cause of yours? Could you afford a private physio assessment to gain more info? Will your dr refer you for one on the nhs (actually a fairly quick process round here)?

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I need another operation on both my knees, but I swear by Voltarol gel, the one for arthritic pain I use it in two week blocks and it has enabled me to squat again.

Reactions: Dearbhla

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
And would you consider using those light Nordic walking sticks? They Do reduce the impact on knees when your foot hits the ground. I've seen people jogging uphill with light sticks too.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On youtube you can find good exercises for hurting knees her is one of the very fine with lots of verbal advice in too

Reactions: johnpol

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Hi All

Hibby, I had to skip most of the thread, so forgive me if this hAs already been mentioned! When you say “down the sides”, would you say inside or outside? There is a pain I am hugely familiar with that curls around the outside of the kneecap. It’s caused by a tight ilio-tibial band, which runs more or less down the outside of the thigh from pelvic bone to knee. The band itself tends not to hurt. Have I picked the right place?
I’ll go back and read the rest now

bmtest

Hi All

bmtest

Knee problems if it is a weight issue try cycling 1st off to lose some weight, then start walking with some cushioned trainers. If there is no underlying problems I read in book 20 years ago there is no need for knee to wear out if you massage the joint effectively.

Therefore if you start pounding the tarmac straight away the body has not had time to adjust, you may have gait issues one leg shorter than other tight hamstrings the list is endless.

So tackle weight by cycling brisk walking with regards to what normal for you, after each session massage the toes, ankles, shins, around knee joint use knuckles do thighs buttocks and back and you should get to know what is pulling on knee ligaments eventually.

I personally do not run any more as approaching 60 the quads disapeared through ageing process and no longer shock asorb on tarmac especially on down hill session.

Reactions: Prem51