Carnivore Corner

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had a nice bit of lambs liver fried in butter two days running, slightly under done and utterly gorgeous covered in Himalayan salt and after forgetting the butter I was turning into ghee yesterday (almost set the fire alarms off in the pub) I tried again today and cooked it more than normal. It smells exactly like treacle tart and is utterly delicious.

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been existing on mystery packages from the freezer for that last fewdays. These have defrosted into chicken or lamb curries, cheesey mince, oxtail and oxcheeks. Love them all. Only trouble is that I now need to replenish my freezer. :D

jwd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been existing on mystery packages from the freezer for that last fewdays. These have defrosted into chicken or lamb curries, cheesey mince, oxtail and oxcheeks. Love them all. Only trouble is that I now need to replenish my freezer. :D
Help please, I recently bought both oxtail and ox cheeks, the oxtail I cooked in slow cooker for 8 hrs and it was still a bit tough, so did it for a further 2 hrs and it was just about O.K., please advise how long I should give the ox cheek to cook in slow cooker and whether on low,med or high? Thanks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Help please, I recently bought both oxtail and ox cheeks, the oxtail I cooked in slow cooker for 8 hrs and it was still a bit tough, so did it for a further 2 hrs and it was just about O.K., please advise how long I should give the ox cheek to cook in slow cooker and whether on low,med or high? Thanks.

Sadly, I can’t because I use a pressure cooker for mine. Will tag in @Goonergal though. She is a dab hand with oxtail in the slow cooker. :)

M

Member496333

Wow. Raw salted fillet continues to amaze. Melt in the mouth goodness, and so nutrient-dense that my stomach feels full even though it obviously isn’t. Immense sense of satiety that I’ve never before experienced with cooked meat. I know it’s too hardcore for the majority, but oh my goodness it makes me feel amazing. I can only attribute it to the super concentration of micronutrients that aren’t diminished in quantity by the cooking process. To me it’s proof that the body makes you stop eating when it’s got everything it needs, irrespective of the physical volume of food in the belly.

Hotpepper20000

Ox tail needs at least 8 hours on high in a large slow cooker.

D

Deleted member 308541

Ox tail needs at least 8 hours on high in a large slow cooker.
Must be something wrong with my slow cooker, I can fully cook a 3 kg piece of corned silverside in 6½ hours on high.

OXUURgC.jpg

D

Deleted member 308541

This was another piece that took around six hours to cook. I use a cooking thermometer to grab the internal temps and it's cooked when it gets around the 80° celcius mark.

BZaQt9f.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly, I can’t because I use a pressure cooker for mine. Will tag in @Goonergal though. She is a dab hand with oxtail in the slow cooker. :)

Hi @jwd1

I cook oxtail on the low setting in the slow cooker for about 11 hours. I’m usually cooking about half a kilo of meat (including bones) in a small (2.2 litre) slow cooker. Similarly for oxcheek, low setting 11 hours. Think longer is definitely better with both as it’d be hard to overcook.

For both I put only a little liquid - probably 2 or 300 ml - which tends to be left over juices from previous meats cooked in the slow cooker - I decant it into small Tupperware containers and freeze.

Hope this helps. Both cuts are delicious when tender.

D

Deleted member 308541

Things must be hotter Downunder then up in the Great white north.;)
I guess your slow cooker is warmer then mine.
Could be, my partner complains about the electricity not being hot enough some days though when she is cooking. :D

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Things must be hotter Downunder then up in the Great white north.;)
I guess your slow cooker is warmer then mine.
Strange you say that. I bought both my different make and size slow cookers in oz. Both run significantly warmer and quicker than my mum’s uk bought slow cookers.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Must be something wrong with my slow cooker, I can fully cook a 3 kg piece of corned silverside in 6½ hours on high.

OXUURgC.jpg

Tipetoo, and everyone else - apologies for the off-topic post. Tipetoo, what sort of knife is that, with the curved blade?

I bought two fabulous cleavers in Asia, but one in particular is a bit heavy duty. That's more of a knife.

('Scuse the rambling, but I'm a closet butcher!)

D

Deleted member 308541

Tipetoo, and everyone else - apologies for the off-topic post. Tipetoo, what sort of knife is that, with the curved blade?

I bought two fabulous cleavers in Asia, but one in particular is a bit heavy duty. That's more of a knife.

('Scuse the rambling, but I'm a closet butcher!)
It's a skinning knife as used in meat works and butcher shops.

Reactions: DCUKMod

jwd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jwd1

I cook oxtail on the low setting in the slow cooker for about 11 hours. I’m usually cooking about half a kilo of meat (including bones) in a small (2.2 litre) slow cooker. Similarly for oxcheek, low setting 11 hours. Think longer is definitely better with both as it’d be hard to overcook.

For both I put only a little liquid - probably 2 or 300 ml - which tends to be left over juices from previous meats cooked in the slow cooker - I decant it into small Tupperware containers and freeze.

Hope this helps. Both cuts are delicious when tender.
Thanks a lot, I have obviously been too impatient, I have the ox cheeks ready to go so will follow your advice and I'm sure you are right., thanks again.

Reactions: Goonergal
D

Deleted member 308541

I have got two small pieces of brisket, Plan A is that I am going to dry salt them for a week before cooking, but Plan B is that they go into the slow cooker with two bottles of Nando's Marinade and a tin of diced meaty tomatoes over them.

SAme1tv.jpg

D

Deleted member 308541

Plan B is that they go into the slow cooker with two bottles of Nando's Marinade and a tin of diced meaty tomatoes over them.
Plan B was the winner, but only used one bottle of marinade.

They cooked down a bit after five hours in the slow cooker, but there's more than enough for the four of us for dinner tonight.

k6pyhNP.jpg