Any other mum to be's who had diabetes prior to pregnancy?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Hi there,

Am I the only one who finds the title of this sub forum a little confusing as gestational diabetes is the term for those who get diabetes during the pregnancy but did not have it before hand. Nevermind I assume its for anythign pregnancy related

I'd really like to hear from any other pregnant ladies who had diabetes prior to pregnancy and how they are getting along.

I struggle to get my blood sugars within the target levels, if I try to get it low enough I go too low and if I try to stay out of hypo-land then it goes too high! The diabetes centre have admitted that the diabetic midwives are not experienced enough to deal with me as they are not dafne trained, so I am finally seeing a dsn after weeks of speaking to midwifes who don't really seem to understand me.

I have found my appetite changed a lot since I got pregnant, whereas before I was basing my diet around vegetable and meats (fairly low carb) and avoiding starchy foods all that's gone out of the window now as the old foods I was eating make me feel sick and its only bland starchy things like bread and potatoes that I can handle (think little junior inside me will be a fussy eater!). So I have had to relearn DAFNE to ensure I inject enough to cover my carbs, problem is I am so scared of having high bg's that i am often overcompensating and going hypo on a daily, sometimes twice daily basis.

Is there anyone out there in a similar boat? Perhaps we can help each other!

sugar2

Re: Any other mum to be's who had diabetes prior to pregnanc

Hi. Congratulations on your pregnancy.
I was in that boat...twice, and know exactly where you are coming from. I didn't low carb, but managed my diabetes with lots and lots of testing, adjusting...and yes, unfortunately, lots of quite serious hypos.

Not really sure what I can add...as I was no means a model patient...but empathise completely with teh care that you get from teh diabetic midwife. Mine was fabulous...but again not Dafnew trained, but she did at least understand that I was...the consultant was so old school it was unbelievable...studing my BG reading with a microscope, but never once relating it to what I had, or hadn't eaten.

It sounds to me like you are doing really well...just keep up the testing, and you will probably do really well. I don't think I know of many people who sail through! I lost hypo awareness for a while, as I was so low, which did cause me some problems, but I thought it was worth it for teh health of my babies.

I knwo have 2 happy, healthy children...the oldest of which started school today..although it hardly seems a minute that she was being born.

If you need someone to bounce ideas, or moan about the whole diabetic pregnancy thing to...please feel free.

Take care, it really is worth it.

junew

Hi,
i'm currently 26wks pregnant and type 1 diabetic. I developed diabetes just prior to my 2nd pregnancy (3 wks before found out) and this pregnancy is very different thankful daughter is very healthy and no complications.

seem to be insulin sensitive as when insulin is increased even slightly then can hypo quite alot and if decreased bg can be high. I'm lucky that I have a really supportive and knowledgable diabetic nurse and consultant.

It can be very frustrating especially when you are being extra careful with diet and it still doesn't balance, i could eat the same breakfast (same brown bread brand etc) 3 days in a row and and have different readings.

After 3 stays in hospital of nearly a week each to stabilise diabetes i am now on an insulin pump for the past week and feel much better, sleeping better and more relaxed.

It is difficult and at times worrying but this was a surprise pregnancy and thankfully had also done the daphne programme so was more aware of carbs etc so am being extra carefully at 20 wk scan consultant was happy with what could be seen.

I do feel that I am constantly checking by bsl's eg. before driving car, going shopping etc, and then it is easier to see what triggers hypos, eg. for me it is supermarket shopping (with or without the kids), it pays to be extra vigilant and things will balance out but sometimes I feel that I am not enjoying pregnancy and then baby gives a few kicks and brings a smile to my face.

Most type 1 diabetics I meet in clinic are the same and find it very frustrating trying to stabilise bsl as well as having to deal with the regular pregnancy issues, but it is worth it in the end and things will balance out for you, take care and try to enjoy your pregnancy and congrats! when are you due the baby, I found the first 16wks the hardest for hypos etc.

the_anticarb

Dislikes

Thanks both, I feel a little less alone now. DSN has said to take a 15g carb snack (whatever I want - yummy!) between meals (or more than that and inject for the amount above 15g) so that I can stay out of hypoland but still meet the targets for the post prandials, so I'm not yo yo ing as much but then it feels like I am eating lots. Also and I know this is secondary to the health of the baby, but I have literally ballooned in the weeks since I gone back on novorapid. I was managing with just lantus and metformin before and a low carb diet, now I have gained some weight due to eating more carbs and injecting novo, I look about six months pregnant already and just keep thinking I am going to be soooo huge by the time I'm ready to give birth. I think the little bump which is the baby is hiding under a big layer of fat, so the bump looks much bigger than it actually is!

Getting a bit sick of testing testing testing all day long, up to 10 times per day but they have increased my script for test strips to 6 boxes per month!

When do you find your insulin resistance goes up? I am just thinking that as soon as I get my doses right it will all change!

Worse thing is, due to the fact that I have monogenic (single gene) diabetes there's basically a 50% chance the baby will get diabetes (although not until adolescence, thank god) oh well I just hope it gets its father's gene not mine!

junew

Hi anticarb,

glad to hear you are feeling a little better, how many weeks pregnant are you.

everybody is different with regards insulin etc due to hormones etc, when in the clinic i would meet people who could eat chocolate after a main meal and be ok, i would only have to look at a square and would have a high bsl.

try not to worry re baby and diabetes and start to enjoy the pregnancy, with regards putting on weight at the start i felt really bloated and thought i was hugh, but have balanced out now and it will be easy to lose it after baby is born as will have an excuse to go out walking to show them off!

again hope all goes well, and after awhile you get use to the constant testing.

sugar2

Re insulin resistance...for me...I needed less insulin for the first 12 (ish) weeks, and then they went up and up.

I can really reccomend breast feeding...not only fab for baby, but also helps lose some of teh "mummy tummy"...alas in my case, I still have a bit, but hey, they were worth it.

Hi there ,

may be its all chandged now. I had my two children 20 and 18 years ago I remember the fear of being pregnant and wondering if my diabetes would affect my children. I dont think I was perfectly controlled during the pregnancies but I remember being better controlled than ever and I remeber the diabetic consultant saying that most diabetic mems make an effort to care for their diabetes. Having said this I remember eating more meat and fish and veg and just hving normal portions of carbs after giving birth I rammed a double dekker chocolate with nuts into my mouth. also I remember that th pregnancy was very well monitored by the gynae depart at KCH I was blood checked and tummy scanned every fortnight and then every week . . who is your health authority.
ancient

malibu0509

I am Type 1 and have been for 3 years. Currently trying for another child but not sure what to expect as I didn't have Type 1 last time I was pregnant. I do suffer badly from hyperemesis (severe sickness) in pregnancy and am worried about how this will effect my diabetes. Last time I could'nt even keep water down. Has anyone else suffered badly with sickness and how did it effect the diabetes?

sugar2

Fortunaetly, I did not suffer with this...although I have had 2 children. From my (none diabetic) friends experience, I know that just becasue you suffered last time, doesn't necessarily mean that you will suffer again...although I am not sure of teh statistic.

If you do suffer with it, I would prepare for spending some time in hospital...controlling diabetes in pregnancy is vital for both you and baby. I imagine that they would have you on a drip, or sliding scale, where they monitor BG and insulin accordingly. I di not know this for sure.

Have you been incontact ith you "diabetic midwife" (there will be one...as they are invaluable, and should be able to advise on this, and other things diabtic and pregnanacy.

best of luck!

Saskia

Hi ladies
Just decided to start trying for another baby..... Very excited! My
Hb1ac is 7.2 so still need to do some work. It's hard to keep bs in
Balance but I receive a lot of support from the team in Chichester.
At the moment checking at least 8 times a day, sometimes during the
night. I'm on the pump and using novorapid.
Would love to hear from you!

Saskia

JennySuperB

ooh good luck Saskia, I am currently 5 weeks pregnant, been type 1 for 12 years now and had two other children, both perfect. Well, not perfect, they argue and are messy and stuff, but you know what I mean!

I feel quite lucky to be pregnant as I am 41, and am keeping a blog of how things progress,

The main thing with being pregnant and diabetic is not being allowed the whole "eating for two" indulgences, you feel moody, anxious, hormonal and you can't even grab a cream cake to make yourself feel better! Totally identify with the 'double decker syndrome' as soon as you have the baby you just hink woo hoo, I can be bad for a little while at least!

BTW agree I think this forum should be pregnancy and diabetic or something, not just gestational. More universal that way

the_anticarb

Dislikes

feel bad now as sometimes I feel asthough I am eating for two, but then I inject twice as much insulin.

My hba1cs are 5.5 though so is that ok?

I figure so long as I keep within the bg targets that it's ok to eat more so long as I know how to match my medication to my carb intake.

Means I am injecting a lot of novo, but so long as my blood sugars are controlled I figured that its ok to do that.

Is it??

dianeb

Hi Anticarb

I'm type 2 (since 2004) and am 18 weeks. I was moved onto Novrapid earlier last year and am glad they did. My last Hb1ac(if that's the right order) was 5.2, and was told not to inject so much (which I read as eat more!)
My DSN said forget the insulin number, it's the one hour after and the Hba1c that matter. So other than my little finger tips being really sore ( for some reason I pick them without thinking - does any one else do that?) I'm just plodding along.

How are you doing?

the_anticarb

Dislikes

hi dianeb

I'm ok, i'm at 33 weeks now and my hba1c's have all been below 6 which the diabetes team say is really good, I am still eating a lot and injecting to cover the excess but i can do that and usually keep the blood sugars within the target ranges, although i've found that novorapid has a nasty habit of piling up in your system if you go overboard with it, so i've had to learn to knock a bit off my dose if I've recently injected, in order to have some carbs to mop up the excess novo.

Getting fed up of all the testing now, and christmas was a bit of a nightmare as we were away with family so it was really hard to carb count or eat to my regular schedule.

Also had gastroenteritis in the last week and although the baby fine, it did cause me a few hypos as I wasn't eating like usual, which the docs were concerned about.

Just want to get this baby out now, safe and sound, he is growing ok but they will induce at 38 weeks so not long to go.

I'm suprised how much I've got used to the whole testing/injecting routine, at first I thought how can I do this every day for nine (well really eight) months but by now it has become second nature and it will feel really weird when I go back to being a 'regular' diabetic!

dianeb

Hi anticarb

Just wondering how you are doing? YOu sound to be bored, but doing good, must be coming up to 38 weeks soon?

the_anticarb

Dislikes

Thanks Dianeb - I'm doing ok, two weeks to go now - sent u a pm

AC :D

RI&P

Hi hun I am exactly the same I am still very early only 3 to 4 weeks (thinking I'm closer to the 4th week by feelings and symptoms) I've been type 1 for 20 years this August and this is my 1st pregnancy I'm keeping calm as its very early but my bloods are all o er the place like you I'm trying to keep them between 5 and 7 but I am struggling alot again like you compleetly terrified of having high bgs so I panic when I see it go over 9!!!!!! And don't give my self time to come down after correcting but my body at the mo seems to hold on to anything I eat and I shoot up so I fix the high then I cone crashing so I fix the low then I go sawing so I fix the high then I come crashing you can see where I am going with this I am on a pump and I wheat a sensor so its even easier for me to correct as it's a button not a hole pen to inject... I'm waiting to see my dsn but it's not till the 26th and as it's early days I do not want to mess my poppy seed mini me up any more your not the only one don't worry. How far gone are you? Good idea I am trying to find my DAFNE book so I can go over things as the pregnancy sec
Tion was covered very briefly withing half an hour or so...