Blood Glucose readings

Carol_O

Hello I am new to this group. I have been diagnosed pre-diabetic. I had a reading of 42 at my GP. I am confused as to where this reading of 42 comes from. I have purchased a glucose reading machine and the readings I get are something like 6.9mmol or 123mg/dl. My question is where does the 42 reading coming from? Thank you in advance.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I am new to this group. I have been diagnosed pre-diabetic. I had a reading of 42 at my GP. I am confused as to where this reading of 42 comes from. I have purchased a glucose reading machine and the readings I get are something like 6.9mmol or 123mg/dl. My question is where does the 42 reading coming from? Thank you in advance.
Hello Carol, Welcome!
42 might be your HbA1c level - which is the average of your blood glucose of 3 months.
So your 42mmol/l is prediabetic level
healthy person is below 42
and diabetics are between 43-47++

Sorry OP, 43-47 is prediabetic
and anything above 47 is diabetic range. My bad D:

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

@Carol_O have you had a look around the www.diabetes.co.uk website? This is a fantastic resource of everything diabetes.
If you go to the Home page and type "Hb1ac" into the Search field at the top right, you should find a page that will explain your 42.
But I highly recommend taking a look around the site to learn more about the condition such as the different types, symptoms, treatment, lifestyle and more.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

To understand a little more about A1c glucose levels, take a look at this information page..
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Edited to add:- click on the links in any moderator's signature to navigate to useful information for beginners (turn your phone sideways to reveal signature panels).

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Carol, Welcome!
42 might be your HbA1c level - which is the average of your blood glucose of 3 months.
Not quite
its mmol/m and pre diabetics are between 43-47 mmol/m
Full T2 is 48 mmol/m or higher.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not quite
its mmol/m and pre diabetics are between 43-47 mmol/m
Full T2 is 48 mmol/m or higher.
Oh sorry my bad, Yes prediabetes is 43-47 and 47+ is diabetic range. :D
So OP is okay tbh or close enough?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh sorry my bad, Yes prediabetes is 43-47 and 47+ is diabetic range. :D
So OP is okay tbh or close enough?

In fact my bad as pre diabetes is 42-47 mmol/m so the OP is just at the bottom end of pre.. (although to be honest it probably means on the T2 spectrum anyway.)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
where does the 42 reading coming from?

As has been posted, that is you HbA1c, roughly it's your average blood glucose levels over the previous couple of months.

What it is telling you is that you do not have T2D, but you are possibly on the way there.

What's great is that you have had this early warning (something that many of us didn't get) and can choose to act on the warning to make sure you don't end up with Diabetes.

Good luck, you can get as much help and support as you need from this forum.

Carol_O

Thank you MeiChanski I appreciate you
Hello Carol, Welcome!

Sorry OP, 43-47 is prediabetic
and anything above 47 is diabetic range. My bad D: