Metformin Back Pain

Jl1999

Ive been diagnosed with GD So I've recently started taking metformin. I started on one 500mg a day for 3 days, then upped it to 2 500mg a day for 3 days, then 2 850mg a day. As soon as I took 2 850 mg doses, I got super sick and couldn't keep food or water down, so I lowered my dosage to 1 x 850mg a day. I was ok for a few days on this dosage then I started getting horrible lower back, hip, and abdominal pains that would keep me up or wake me up at night. Ended up in hospital for it and got given codeine as paracetamol was not touching the pain at all. I'm unsure if its related to the metformin as I'm 30 weeks pregnant and still working full time so I'm not sure if I've pushed myself too much or if it's related to the metformin (as I get the pains at night and I always take the metformin with my evening meal)

Has anyone else ever had these problems?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive been diagnosed with GD So I've recently started taking metformin. I started on one 500mg a day for 3 days, then upped it to 2 500mg a day for 3 days, then 2 850mg a day. As soon as I took 2 850 mg doses, I got super sick and couldn't keep food or water down, so I lowered my dosage to 1 x 850mg a day. I was ok for a few days on this dosage then I started getting horrible lower back, hip, and abdominal pains that would keep me up or wake me up at night. Ended up in hospital for it and got given codeine as paracetamol was not touching the pain at all. I'm unsure if its related to the metformin as I'm 30 weeks pregnant and still working full time so I'm not sure if I've pushed myself too much or if it's related to the metformin (as I get the pains at night and I always take the metformin with my evening meal)

Hello there. Metformin isn't something I have used, but back pain is on the list of side-effects. Time to revisit your Doc, I'd suggest.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/metformin-side-effects.html

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Been told lies , fake people

Hi @Jl1999
Warm welcome to the forum .

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I would talk to your doctor as soon as possible since you are pregnant.

Gav-wxm

Hi, I’m a type 2 and have been prescribed 2x 500mg metformin in the morning and another 2x500mg in the evening.
Iv got pain in my lower back too, it’s weird because it can one day me in my lower back and the next day in my hips, thighs or abdomen.

I made the mistake of googling it and was convinced I had pancreatic cancer for a few weeks (my anxiety kicked it good style)

Still waiting to see the doctor but it seems a very common side effect with diabetes.