What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
An amazing 4.8 this morning - which is surprising as I worked late on Saturday so had a late evening meal which would usually give me higher fbs the next day.

Thank you @ianpspurs and @jjraak for your kind comments. You are right - I am not obsessive with my keto diet and record keeping - It's a life long concern, with some nasty complications if ignored.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am excited to report we have a new addition to the family: Dennis a miniature schnauzer pup. It’s almost a year to the day since our feisty terrier Tilly died and we felt now was a good time for another doggy companion. He is adorable.
View attachment 33654
What a lovely little dog. I love his name. I am sure he will make a wonderful addition to your family.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. A mighty 7.0 for me. @Shas3 I send hugs and understanding but we will both get there. We got a takeaway last night and unless I just have cauli bhajee it just doesnt work for me, I now have to accept that. Tried the dry Tandoori meats but not great. Glad it worked out good for you @HarrisonK. Anyway its raining here, cats and dogs, since we got back yesterday afternoon. Lots of washing to power through and emergency shop required.
@DJC3 sounds like little Dennis had a great first night. @Bubbsie glad the knee is better pain is so tiring and heavy painkillers make me feel like a zombie (with high BG I might add). @Krystyna23040 hope you have a restful day today. @gennepher hope the roof is now good and you have a relaxing day.
To everyone have the best Sunday and if you are a Dad an even better one.
Stay well, stay safe.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone and what a bright and sunny morning it is at present in the dark and dangerous north.
Fathers Day today and I can report a smattering of cards with the words “Dad” and also “Grandad” written on as well as a wee brightly wrapped parcel and a bottle of wine.

The wonder wheel of celebration and gaiety joined in with a brightly flavoured 5.1 and the tea in my tea mug is extra flavoursome. Even my dressing gown feels softer and lighter.

Have a great day if you can, stand in wonder if you can’t:

All I could see from where I stood
Was three long mountains and a wood;
I turned and looked the other way,
And saw three islands in a bay.
So with my eyes I traced the line
Of the horizon, thin and fine,
Straight around till I was come
Back to where I’d started from;
And all I saw from where I stood
Was three long mountains and a wood

Edna St. Vincent Millay

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
exactly the same thing happens to me when I have too much protein.
How much protein to eat is something that vexes me. T2 or not sarcopenia is a thing and being 64 next week I am obviously in the frail old wreck age group. There also seems to be quite a split amongst the gurus about this. I liked this from Zoe Harcombe - especially point 10 http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2018/02/protein-by-kevin-handreck/
Mind you, my levels and A1c suggest I don't do control so well but if Harcombe bigs up this guy I think I will pay heed.

Last edited:
Reactions: gennepher

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. A mighty 7.0 for me. @Shas3 I send hugs and understanding but we will both get there. We got a takeaway last night and unless I just have cauli bhajee it just doesnt work for me, I now have to accept that. Tried the dry Tandoori meats but not great. Glad it worked out good for you @HarrisonK. Anyway its raining here, cats and dogs, since we got back yesterday afternoon. Lots of washing to power through and emergency shop required.
@DJC3 sounds like little Dennis had a great first night. @Bubbsie glad the knee is better pain is so tiring and heavy painkillers make me feel like a zombie (with high BG I might add). @Krystyna23040 hope you have a restful day today. @gennepher hope the roof is now good and you have a relaxing day.
To everyone have the best Sunday and if you are a Dad an even better one.
Stay well, stay safe.

The post holiday washing is enough to push anyone’s fbg up. If you’re going to Sainsbury’s my branch had moules in garlic butter on special offer - I bought some for lunch and thought of you.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning folks, a 5.2 on the dice, I hope the new pot of strips I ordered is as friendly.
Hope all you fathers enjoyed your breakfast in bed, mine was imaginary but delicious with the eggs cooked to perfection and the bacon crisped just right.
Meanwhile reality is calling and HRH requires tea and toast...have a lovely day all.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The post holiday washing is enough to push anyone’s fbg up. If you’re going to Sainsbury’s my branch had moules in garlic butter on special offer - I bought some for lunch and thought of you.
Oh thanks will be going to Sainsburys in an hour or so stopping off at the launderette near there to dry some “tumble dryable” clothes. My drier died just before we went away it was a small Creda that gave me 28 years service. I was almost sentimental. Dont really want to rush out and buy a replacement in case we move but if this weather continues might have to!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How much protein to eat is something that vexes me. T2 or not sacropenia is a thing and being 64 next week I am obviously in the frail old wreck age group. There also seems to be quite a split amongst the gurus about this. I liked this from Zoe Harcombe - especially point 10 http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2018/02/protein-by-kevin-handreck/
Mind you, my levels and A1c suggest I don't do control so well but if Harcombe bigs up this guy I think I will pay heed.

Good article and reflects the findings of others. A good article discussing protein intake and satiety can be found in the link below, summarised as:
The analysis of half a million days of MyFitnessPal data indicates that:

• Our bodies seem to be happy with less energy when we provide it with adequate protein.
  • Low protein intakes correspond with the lowest levels of satiety and the highest energy intake.
  • Higher protein intakes tend to increase satiety and spontaneously reduce hunger.
  • Increasing protein from 0.7 g/kg LBM to 2.4 g/kg LBM corresponds to a to spontaneous calorie reduction of approximately 15%, even before we account for the higher thermic effect of protein.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/2018/05/17/how-much-protein-do-you-need-to-optimise-satiety/

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 5.9 today. Hooray to be back in the 5s ( just) little Dennis slept pretty well on his first night here. He cried for 10 mins or so, then humphed and got on his cushion and slept until 6 am.
We are spending the day at home alone today just having fun.
@Bildad how was your summer camp meeting. My girls used to go to a church camp run by a friend - they have such good memories of it, well done you for sticking with it dispite the increased red tape.
@Shas3 the same thing happens to me - if I stop measuring and posting, things gradually slide. I keep telling myself I don’t need to do it so much, but I obviously do. You’ll soon be back on track - your journey so far has been very impressive.
The meeting was long but the majority of the decision making is now done. There is of course all of the actual prep to do and the good to buy. Thank goodness for on line shopping and deliveries. Fortunately for all involved I am not doing the cooking!!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh thanks will be going to Sainsburys in an hour or so stopping off at the launderette near there to dry some “tumble dryable” clothes. My drier died just before we went away it was a small Creda that gave me 28 years service. I was almost sentimental. Dont really want to rush out and buy a replacement in case we move but if this weather continues might have to!

Sorry to read that your dryer had given up the ghost. Always an issue when having to replace white goods. We have a condensing dryer but recently we have been considering getting a heated airier as at first glance they seem to be a cheaper to run and take up little space.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/around-t...drying-and-airers/electric-dryers-and-airers/

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good article and reflects the findings of others. A good article discussing protein intake and satiety can be found in the link below, summarised as:
The analysis of half a million days of MyFitnessPal data indicates that:

• Our bodies seem to be happy with less energy when we provide it with adequate protein.
  • Low protein intakes correspond with the lowest levels of satiety and the highest energy intake.
  • Higher protein intakes tend to increase satiety and spontaneously reduce hunger.
  • Increasing protein from 0.7 g/kg LBM to 2.4 g/kg LBM corresponds to a to spontaneous calorie reduction of approximately 15%, even before we account for the higher thermic effect of protein.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/2018/05/17/how-much-protein-do-you-need-to-optimise-satiety/
Thanks for that summary and link, Ran some numbers on a LBM calculator which produced quite a range of results upload_2019-6-16_10-47-25.png

Implication being I need to eat far more protein? Somewhere between 150 to 300 gms which is way higher than the 120 ish keto would suggest. Also ran an analysis of protein from 100 gms of a few different sources which suggested chicken as best (I used thighs with fat) cheese and 3 eggs next with steak way lower. Double cream was negligible. All fits my biases and may explain why I feel so hungry on lc so naturally very wrong but entertained me so thanks again.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gennepher - thank you so much for doing this research - the articles are really interesting and I have pinned them to my bookmarks so I can read them again.

I was going to read them last night but had a really long day at work and fell asleep on the sofa after dinner so did absolutely nothing in the evening. I even missed a documentary about the history of Canterbury with Alice Roberts which I really wanted to watch

Hope the roofer mended your roof ok.

I hope you can find something useful in that.
I need to study it all again.
Thank you

>^..^<

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lots of nice noisy gadgets there with fiddly bits to play with. I prefer a cafetiere - mind you, we allegedly downsized 13 years ago when we moved here from Durham City
Yes I downsized when I moved here from London theoretically dunelm...and I still have packing cases in the outhouse from 6 years ago...I really must get round to unpacking them or throwing them out some time.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So we started watching a film last night. I closed my eyes to listen for a short while. 2.30 woke up having not taken my evening meds nor my evening readings nor my abasaglar. And cold too !

And missed the film lol.
And my tea had gone cold .. this one hurt the most !

Long story short I am 6.6 this morning alongside a mixture of relief, crinkled neck and thirsty.